Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 717, 718, 719  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Morrigu wrote:
What a mess!

Mr Hart has a lot to answer for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qb4n8yc2so

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:23 pm

So they can get themselves out and about to protest, loot and destroy but can’t be arsed registering and actually voting - something that could actually effect and change the status quo Confused Rolling Eyes
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:45 pm

Who are they going to vote for, Biden? People forget that the killings that prompted the Black Lives Matter movement occurred when Obama and Biden were in charge. It’s going to take a lot more than someone with a (D) next to their name in the White House to change things.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:59 pm

Rodney King has a new partner.

28 year ago

https://www.npr.org/2017/04/26/524744989/when-la-erupted-in-anger-a-look-back-at-the-rodney-king-riots

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:58 pm

David wrote:
Who are they going to vote for, Biden? People forget that the killings that prompted the Black Lives Matter movement occurred when Obama and Biden were in charge. It’s going to take a lot more than someone with a (D) next to their name in the White House to change things.

So this is not something new been happening for years many many years! Does the President have ultimate control over local issues including the
Police force in each State? No - do the people in every State have the right to vote for an elected State government that could effect change - yes they do!

If Vic Pol were out of control there would be little point screaming at Scomo to fix it - I get Trump is a loon but he can’t be blamed entirely for this current situation - septic land is fcked!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:01 am

It’s a little more complicated, I think – I could be wrong, but I think most positions in the US are elected, from low-level judges to prosecutors to police chiefs. That might suggest more democracy and more popular control, but I think what it means is that power in the US is very decentralised and beholden to cronyism, local corruption and minority defranchisement. So while encouraging people to vote at all levels is probably good, I’m not surprised that so many people in the US don’t even bother engaging with the system, and see direct demonstration as far more effective (and let’s face it, they’re probably right).
Wonka 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:35 am

Morrigu wrote:

If Vic Pol were out of control there would be little point screaming at Scomo to fix it - I get Trump is a loon but he can’t be blamed entirely for this current situation - septic land is fcked!

What if ScoMo tweeted inciting Vic Pol to shoot and kill any protesters?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:26 am

David wrote:

they were never in charge, the NRA are always in charge, and there is the problem right there.

apparently the cop and Floyd worked security together last summer, wonder if its true.

bottom line is no one can look at that footage and not see charges. He was not on ice or anything else, he was face down and cuffed, its illegal to kneel on someones neck to restrain them no matter what. he said clearly i cant breathe. he was obviously unconscious shortly after. thats not manslaughter thats some degree of murder. and the other gutless bastards let it happen.

what is really frightening to me is the blank look on their faces, no trying to hide what is going on, so is this an everyday thing? Not all cops in the states are bad, i refuse to believe it, but this sure taints them all. this is totally unacceptable.

These thugs should all be put in general pop as an example, i dont give a **** what happens to them, no really i dont. or simply stick a needle in their arms.

can you imagine being a good cop and going to work today?

the out of control looting is done by the hoods and the gangs, they are over running peaceful protests. As for that hurt kid, just like the one in Melbourne a week or so ago, that kid should not be there, that is totally on the parents.

I dont know what the answer is, but one things for sure, Chinas $$%^%%$ curse, combined with centuries of simmering racism and their ridiculous obsession with guns is going to decimate the population.

I have never made a secret of my love for the US and its crazy people, that still holds true, i have many friends im worried about, including a crazy redneck. I still hope to go back one day. Im just praying that some good comes out of this, though i cant see where its coming from. this breaks my heart.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:36 pm

The Minnesota cops have a bad record of law enforcement recently (Justine Ruscyck, and the fellow shot in his car when getting his ID). In those instances the cops were Somali and Asian. Appears to be an issue with recruitment/training & accountability (cop Chauvin had a long list of prior incidents which were dismissed internally)

That aside, these riots are about inequality. financial legislation favours the wealthy and exploits the poor. 1% of the American population hold more wealth than the lowest 80%. the gap continues to widen. the poor are vulnerable and not protected.

Watched a live video of a mob burning down a Starbucks. The CEO earned 13.4mil last year (1000x the median salary of an employee). I enjoyed it.
However, I don't understand attacking small businesses (mindless idiots who do this)

I have spent a fair bit of time in the USA, even Minnesota for a couple of weeks. As a sports-fan its paradise. Would never live there. Its a dog-eat-dog mentality. Far worse than here.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:59 pm

Woods, why is it relevant that “the cops” in the prior incidents you refer to were of Somali and “Asian” ethnic background? I don’t even know who the “Asian” policeman you refer to is but Mohamed Noor apparently came to the United States from Somalia at a young age and had worked in real estate management and also managed a hotel before joining the police force. It isn’t like he was recruited straight into the Minnesota constabulary from Somalia.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:12 pm

Wonka wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

What if ScoMo tweeted inciting Vic Pol to shoot and kill any protesters?

Obviously that would be as reprehensible as Trump doing it!

I'm no fan of Trump he is a buffoon and don't much care about American politics but this has been a significant issue for many years under numerous Presidents before him and nothing seems to have changed at all.

And in the end they voted for him - well those that could be bothered voting - and by all accounts may probably do it again. Shocked

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:07 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Woods, why is it relevant that “the cops” in the prior incidents you refer to were of Somali and “Asian” ethnic background? I don’t even know who the “Asian” policeman you refer to is but Mohamed Noor apparently came to the United States from Somalia at a young age and had worked in real estate management and also managed a hotel before joining the police force. It isn’t like he was recruited straight into the Minnesota constabulary from Somalia.

sorry I was referring to Philando Castile, who was shot by a Hispanic Cop.
My point is, this police problem is not a race issue alone. Is it a cultural thing, under-trained, under-prepared, who knows.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:19 pm

Just a suggestion but I would have thought this incident, the killing of George Floyd and the current aftermath, deserved it's own thread.

Is there any danger one of the mods could do something useful and split the relevant content into a separate thread?

K 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:28 pm

^ Here is the police killings thread: https://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=80300 . The topic probably belongs there.

And here's the Justine Ruszczyk thread: https://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=85548 .
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:45 pm

think positive wrote:

they were never in charge, the NRA are always in charge, and there is the problem right there.

Unfortunately, the looting and carnage in the US only makes the NRA more powerful. People see these times as evidence of why the right to bear arms can never be taken away.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 717, 718, 719  Next
Page 718 of 719   

Jump to: