Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Remember when 21.6.1986,Pies supporters run riot at Vicky pa

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 6:01 pm
Post subject: Remember when 21.6.1986,Pies supporters run riot at Vicky paReply with quote

Enraged collingwood fans last night attacked umpires at the clash between the magpies and the sydney swans.
As the umpires left victoria park after the swans had snatched victory,they were set on by about 1000 magpie supporters.
Field umpires Peter Howe and Shane Mcdonald and boundary umpires were all attacked.
In the melee:
Field umpire Howe was punched in the mouth (you beauty) splitting his lip.
Mcdoanld was spat upon (you beauty)
Boundary umpire Paul Nicholls was elbowed in the face,and 6 people were charged with being drunk.
The sixth a 22 year old sunshine clerk was charged with assaulting both boundary umpires,He has been remanded to appear in the Melbourne magistrates court on july 8th.

Off the oval irate collingwood fans tried to batter the door to the visitors rooms where sydney players and officials were grouped.
A man punched and kicked the Sun chief football writer Peter Simunovich as he stood outside the swan's door waiting to go in.it is believed the man thought simunovich was a swans official.
Last night two police officers viewed the cahnnel 7 replay of the violence that erupted after the final siren sounded.

A controversial free kick given to swans Barry Mitchell against Shane Kerrison for 'in the back' was of the incidents believed to have enraged Magpie supporters.
Mitchell then kicked a goal which gave the swans a one point lead.Each side then scored one more point before the siren.

The umpires were attacked despite protection from two mounted police and some of the 32 on duty at Victoria Park.

Former top VFL umpire Kevin Smith now a senior umpire's advisor,said the umpires had accepted police protection rather than attending the traditional after match entertainment in the collingwood social club.

Sydney swans Chairman Dr Geoffrey Edelsten said: Obviously the collingwood supporters feel more strongly than those of any other club.

Dr Edelsten said he and his wife had to be protected by body guards after the swans clash a few weeks ago, but yesterday's crowd was much worse and frightening.

Kevin Smith said he could not report the matter to the VFL but he believed the umpires would submit written reports to the league.
He said the umpires had been in real danger, it wasn't a good scene. Against all the odds the police couldn't have done a better job in protecting them "he said.
Inspector Pope said the trouble had occured as the umpires got near to the race leading to their dressing room. There were Brawls here and over there and we had the problems protecting the umpires here, he said.
Collingwood President Alan McAllester last night deplored the action of the collingwood supporters who had attacked the umpires.
We take umpiring decisions as they come and we certainly dont condone any attacking of umpires or officials from anyone, he said.

Mr McAllester said he believed collingwood took adequate measures to ensure security at the ground.
BOB CRIMEEN SUNDAY PRESS 22.6.1986.

I was in the middle of all of this at the end of the game, and it indeed was an eye opener i remember very well collingwood supporters trying to kick the door down to the swans rooms and i certainly recall seeing the umpire get a nice smack in the chops.
and plenty of bloodied sydney swans supporters.
It was great it was suburban footy at it's best.
joffa

'My God'i wouldnt go into hoddle street tonight for quids'.Bill jacobs 3aw, minutes after our premiership'That is like winning tattslotto and losing your ticket and some bloke puts it in the herald sun that he found it'Rex Hunt 3aw during the 1990 grand final'Well thats about as useful as a fly wire door in a submarine'sammy newman 3aw during the 1990 grand final

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 9:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny this Joffa. I remember this game very well. Whenever anyone brings up a complaint about 'the umps robbed us'. This is the only time I have ever truly seen the umps rob a team of a game, without a shadow of a doubt. I remember the umps kept the Swans in it for three quarters, then won it for them in the last. I still recall talking with a bloke over a beer and pie at half time down the yarra falls end, and we both couldnt believe the umpiring. The guy said to me 'they are keeping this lot in the game'. Dont recall the qtr by qtr scores, but I think we led for most of the day.
The folks I went with were flabbergasted (well, worse really, but its a family board).

Time has dimmed the memory of all the incidents, and the umps names (til this post), but it was a game where anyone who watched it could see the umps were blatantly giving us the stick. It seemed the more we hooted, the crappier the decisions made, just to spite us and piss us off more. Anyone who reckons the umps have cost their team a game should have a look at this match and compare. I'd lay London to a brick that you'd rethink your opinions after viewing the tape.

A friend of mine was team manager for the Swans little league that day. He said it was pretty wild near the swans rooms. I didn't make it up to the 'action' after the game. We were going to meet up with a Swas player who was a mate after the game, but decided discretion would be the better part of valour on this occasion. I probably went out, had a few beers and sulked for a week. (Usual losing routine)

Small world, Joffa. Don't think this game was discussed in our little tete-a-tete at Chateau Joffa a while back, but if it had, I'd still be there moaning about it.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 9:23 pm

Oh, an another thing...if you lot reckon Sheahan has no idea, check out the ramblings of Peter Simunovich. Whoever hit him deserved a couple of votes in the best clubman award. And Joffa, does that worm Darryl Timms still 'write' about football. He was/is another complete tosser.

Charlie 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 5:07 am

I was in the members with a perfect side view of our CHF area.

During the last qtr Sydney did everything bar actually physically decapitating our players.

The bastard umpires constantly allowed Sydney to clear the ball after blatantly ignoring free kick after free kick.

the more the qtr progressed the the more obvious it became that this just wasn't bad umpiring or 'the didn't see it', but rather their priority was to give sydney total support.

Vic Park was always a place where a supporter could loose his voice at least knowing that he/she may have had an influence on the day, but on that day, the white maggots should have been wearing red as well.

Ahhhh Vic Park ..... They were great days.

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 6:45 am

I too remember that game Jeff. 1986 (I remember a game in 1984 against Melbourne at Victoria Park when Daicos kicked a miracle goal from the Yarra Falls end pocket) was the first full season I can remember clearly.

Games that come to mind are beating Essendon on a sunny day at VFL Park, Barge kicking his ton against St Kilda at VFL Park and this Sydney game.

I was right behind the race were it occurred and as I was only a little kid at the time it amazed me how they were throwing beer cans at the umpires. It ultimately cost us a place in the finals that year.

Were did you get your information about Hugh Thomas?

In Skob We Trust

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 7:51 am

That goal may have been the high profile one of the day but I clearly remember Daicos kicking one from the Dights Falls end.

It was right near the boundary line on the 50-meter line. He kicked it and it sailed over the head of Gerald Healy who was standing in the goal square.

It is on Daicos's Hot Shots video.

In Skob We Trust

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 9:40 am

Mr Tateson i dug up a book that ive been trying to find for ages and it was London davo that gave me the clue as he suggested the great book 'Kill for Collingwood'Which had some good stories about hugh thomas.

'My God'i wouldnt go into hoddle street tonight for quids'.Bill jacobs 3aw, minutes after our premiership'That is like winning tattslotto and losing your ticket and some bloke puts it in the herald sun that he found it'Rex Hunt 3aw during the 1990 grand final'Well thats about as useful as a fly wire door in a submarine'sammy newman 3aw during the 1990 grand final

daicos4ever 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 5:44 am

Kill for Collingwood is a great book. You do not fully understand the tradition and history of the Club until you read it.

daicos4ever

2002 - The Year of the Pie
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:54 pm

Kerro was a good footballer, and his opening kick in the 1990 GF was special.
But that WAS a freekick against Mitchell. It was a bad tackle by Kerro. I was at the game sitting in the social club area and I thought it'd be a freekick before the umpire blew the whistle.
Harrysz

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 1:32 pm

I think it should have been a play-on decision, particularly in such a close match and in the dying minutes.

I was sitting in the cheer squad and when the siren went my best friend suddenly disappeared over the fence along with pretty much everyone else around me! I thought what the heck and another friend and I went to run out onto the ground when a policeman stopped us. I said a few choice words about why on earth he was stopping us from running out on the ground when there were already 10,000 people out there - but then he said something about arresting us and I decided to stand back and watch all the action instead! Particulary as the umpires had to walk in our direction to get off the ground, so we still got to see everything.

Definitely a day that sticks in the memory banks!

GO PIES!

Marg

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 4:39 am

It has to be 1984 because Gerald Healy played for Sydney Swans in 1985 Magpie Greg.

In Skob We Trust

Jack 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 5:08 am

Gerard Healy went to Sydney in 1986.

It was 1985 because it was the day I bought my first Season's Ticket. Round 3, 1985. A very hot day for footy, well over 30 degrees.

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 6:24 am

Didn't Peter Daicos do a Knee injury in 1985 that ruled him out of the start of the year?

In Skob We Trust

DT 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:34 am

I was there at the Yarra Falls end and the feeling in the crowd was anger. It wasn’t one decision, it was a series of decisions that made people’s blood boil. I was at school but never have I felt more jibbed than that day. The violence after match was regrettable but it goes to show what footy meant in that era. I am not sure whether it means as much now but perhaps that is because I am older and society has changed a lot since then.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:00 am

Who said old threads die?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: