Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#37 Sam Iles

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:11 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he was good - backed himself, his disposal looked ok for a bloke on debut... and he is quick.
sq3 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:21 am

Definitely and great pick up.

Very good skills and backs himself and really attacks the ball and the player.

2005 drafts were great for the Pies - and with a full pre season in the gym a lot of these boys will be ready for senior play in 2006.

The one thing that is really impressive with the main 3 (Daisy, Pendles and Apples) is they all posess great poise and skills.

Best recruiting for years and will set us up well into the future.

If wer can get a ruckman in 2006 trades we are set up for a big shake up in the next 4-5 years.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:00 am

Iles showed he will be a footballer, showed he can find the pill, has some toe and goes at it hard. Don't worry about the early NATOs, put that down to first game jitters etc. the kid is actually a very good kick and his disposal improved as the night went on.

Well done Apples and welcome to the big show.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:13 pm

Robert Walls (not really) wrote:
Sam Illes missed open targets by 10 metres.

Once, maybe twice but let's not write him off just yet. Remember that Thomas's kicking was fairly average in his first couple of games. Nothing wrong with it now that he has settled into the side. Give Isles some time, I thought his game was very good and he certainly did enough to retain his place in the side.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:15 pm

I said we should have waited till the Essendon game to blood him. Pendles should have been kept in and it was probably the difference. Still top 4 position isn't really important.

No wonder you use the RW moniker!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:16 pm

Guerra was an option too.

And hasn't he set the world on fire this season!
Sammy Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:07 pm

Watching Isles it seems he will be a good solid player, perhaps a good replacemnt for Burns when he retires. but still think it was the wrong game to blood him. it a tight game like that every turnover was costly, but he wasnt the only one.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:34 pm

Quote:
Sam Illes missed open targets by 10 metres.

Many players do. I've seen Hird do it. Everyone does it. Lay off him.

Well played, Sammy, he was very good for a first gamer. I like.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:36 pm

I thought he did well so his first couple of kicks were poor. So what! it was his first game, he showed a lot of potential . Im not going to compare him to anyone, lets give him some time to develope before calling him the next Burns Judge whatever.
leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:38 pm

looked pretty good. not 100% sure why we decided to blood a half back flanker (surely we have enough?), but he went well.
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:43 pm

Its tough these days to come into afl because the seniors is played so much differently to any other league. It is now not only just faster...but a lot more tactical. In lower leagues, teams still use a basic footy structure with big full forwards. Teams may employ a spare man in defence etc, but i doubt any vfl or lower clubs have the fitness to employ a full flood strategy.

Coming into the AFL, it must be a shock to look up and only see opposition jumpers. As a kid and a developing player, you are taught to kick it long and not buggarise with the ball. It must be hard to move away from your initial instincts to pump the ball forward under immense pressure.

Adelaide do it better than most. They put pressure on the ball carrier which forces him to pump it long where the crows have all the numbers. Iles a few times pumped it long without looking up...but who can blame him.

Remember, a debutant would not have trained a lot with the seniors when it comes to set plays etc. He would not have done a lot of work with the forwards or back or ruckman...which means he has not gained understanding of how his team-mates work.

A few guys who have set the world on fire on debut have been forward type players who sneak a few goals or take a high mark. Not a lot of true midfielders blow away the experts in their first game.

Sam Iles was fantastic. What you have to judge is confidence, pace, football know how etc. He displayed all of this. He showed a good understanding of when to run to receive, a good understanding of how the modern game is played and had some acceleration off the mark. On the flip side, he showed no ability over his head against a similar sized player in Bock (i think it was) who outmarked him twice up forward. But that will come with size and experience.

Fantastic debut against a quality side. Im excited about him

Robert Walls (not really) 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:00 pm

Stinger wrote:
Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:31 am
Post subject:
Illes needs to improve his kicking a bit.

Is he out there practicing now??

Look mate, where do you think I had come from?? My support of the Collingwood football team is not just posting on the Nick website. I am out there hewping and supporting the boys, all the boys, 24/7/52. Cool

Sam read my post and asked for some assitance. I had just got back from his local oval, giving him some quick tips on the expertise of hitting targets, time after time, game after game. Idea

Sam relished the one on one tuition as no one had taken the time and care to give it to him as an 18 year old cherub from the Apple Island. Suffice to say after 4 intense gut busting hours where we worked so hard the sweat poured all over the ground, Sam Illes is a champion disposer of the ball. We will see it this week against Essenscum and you have me to thank for it.

Cheers. Wink
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:16 pm

leonmagic wrote:
not 100% sure why we decided to blood a half back flanker (surely we have enough?)

Early days yet, but he looks to me as though he could play pretty much any position outside of the tall player jobs. Maybe not right away but in the future: centre, HF flank, wing .... Or free up an existing half-back who can kick to go forward and get amongst the goals. Be nice to see (just to name a couple) Swan and H Shaw a little further up the ground where they can spot up someone inside 50 or have a shot themselves. If Iles can hold down a spot in the backline for the rest of the year, then maybe Swan can help fill the gap that Leon's injury leaves.

Mind you, one game does not make a champion, but he looked the goods with Willy on TV the other week, and he stepped straight into the senior comp and picked up the pace of the game right away - most first gamers look slow till they adjust to having so little time to dispose of the ball at this level: Iles looked quick from possession #1. Will watch his progress with interest.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:51 pm

Next.......Alan 'Tooves' Toovey
Robert Walls (not really) 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:01 pm

Will 2006 be the greatest group of recruits in the history of the Collingwood football club?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12   

Jump to: