Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Punter wins $2.6m on Cup - by mistake !!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:42 pm
Post subject: Punter wins $2.6m on Cup - by mistake !!Reply with quote

TAB blunder nets $2.6m
By Ray Hickson - Fox Sports
November 13, 2003

A MYSTERY punter walked away with a cool $2.6 million after a TAB operator incorrectly entered his trifecta bet on the Melbourne Cup.

The punter phoned a series of trifecta bets on the Melbourne Cup and one particular bet - a $6 box trifecta 20 times on the winning combination of Makybe Diva, She's Archie and Jardine's Lookout - was mistakenly entered 203 times.

Instead of costing the Sydney punter $120 the bet was worth $1218 and as the customer elected to not have his bets read back to him was forced to honour the bet win or lose.

"This punter is one of our larger phone punters and he was having a series of bets on the Melbourne Cup," TAB Limited's public affairs manager Peter Fletcher said.

Mr Fletcher said the punter could not be identified publicly, but is well known to TAB Limited.

"(The punter) is a customer who bets in large amounts and doesn't elect to have the operator call back the bet," Mr Fletcher said.

"He wanted a box trifecta (which costs $6) 20 times on the Melbourne Cup but the operator keyed in 203 times on the combination."

The trifecta paid $12,895 and instead of receiving about $250,000 the punter contacted TAB Limited when he found $2.6 million in his account.

"He thought there was a mistake with the account," Fletcher said.

"But he is the beneficiary of the winning bet even though it wasn't the bet he wanted.

"Normally these things go against you and if it was a losing bet he would have had to pay up."

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I was placing bets on my Racetab net account, one night about a year ago.

I had placed about 12 fifty cent mystery trifectas and first fours. I got a BIG shock when I saw one of them had come up as a 'field with the field' first four bet on the trots which had cost over $1500.

I immediately phoned the TAB and asked for a cancellation. I was told they wouldn't cancel the bet.

As the race was about 7 minutes away, I phoned back and asked to speak to the boss. The operator said she was in charge and she had no authorisation to cancel the bet.

I asked her to consider the bets I had placed - 11 fifty cent bets and one of over $1500 !! It had to be a mistake.

She agreed but said I was stuck with it. I kept trying right up to the start of the race but to no avail.

I was feeling gutted, especially as I had the account with a mate and we'd spent many months building it up to nearly $1800. As it was 'the field with the field', I had to win but how much ?

It could pay as little as $100 if the favourites got the places or I could be really lucky and get a windfall. It had to pay $3000 for me to get out.

Could have been worse, I suppose, as it paid $1830. I got half of that because the bet was in multiples of 50 cent units so I was about $600 out of pocket.

I sent letter after letter explaining my plight and eventually they relented and credited my account. Phew !!

It would never have paid $2.6 million but there was a first four that night of $23,000.

Imagine that punter phoning the TAB to hear his balance was $2.6m and not the $250,000 he was expecting. Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:32 pm

Imagine that! But, how annoyed would you be if you didn't win.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:35 pm

I cant imagine it.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:13 pm

Joel,

That punter specifically requested his bets not to be read back to him so, even though the operator made the mistake, he'd have no recourse and could only be annoyed at himself.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:20 pm

HAL wrote:
I cant imagine it.

That is because your 'brain' doesn't have the capacity to imagine, HAL. Laughing
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:59 pm

Well this story certainly made us laugh at the Bendigo Cup today. I could do with 2.6 mil. I lost but my mate got 7 trifects today as well as the cup winner so he's pretty happy
Joe 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:25 pm

This was mentioned in todays Herald Sun.
What a great story.
They have to honor the bet.
This guy would be wrapped.
I wonder if the guys on the TAB board will take the monies out of their bonus cheques lol.
They arent gonna be happy Jan, with the consultant.
YOUR SHOUT BUDDY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: