Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Indian chiefs - Greg Chappell

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:32 pm
Post subject: Indian chiefs - Greg ChappellReply with quote

Indians can be chiefs
By Jon Pierik in Bangalore, India
November 12, 2003

TEST legend Greg Chappell believes India are the best hope of ending Australia's winning reign and should set themselves the task of dominating world cricket for the next 25 years.

As both countries eye next month's Test series in Australia, Chappell has also implored the Indians to adopt an open and aggressive philosophy on tour and says skipper Sourav Ganguly must set the right example.

"India have got a better-balanced side than anyone apart from Australia at the moment," Chappell said.

"They have good young fast bowlers, quality spinners that we all know about, a strong batting line-up, and the fielding is improving all the time.

"There is no doubt that we will see Australia come off the peak in the next few years.

"It should be the mission of Indian cricket to be the next team that dominates world cricket in the next 25 years.

"They have the resources, the raw material to start with and the funds to put a system in place that can cause Australia a lot of problems."

But the former Australian skipper, national selector and one of the game's all-time batting greats said the difference between Steve Waugh's men and their counterparts was team spirit.

"Whether the Indians can replicate the spirit and the unity of the Australians, only time will tell," he said.

"But they certainly have what it takes to become the team that sets the benchmarks in international cricket."

India have not won a Test series in seven attempts since first heading Down Under in 1947-48.

History suggests their task is made even harder by the fact that in 126 years of Test cricket, Australia have lost only five home series to nations other than England.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:33 pm
Post subject: Re: Indian chiefs - Greg ChappellReply with quote

MAGFAN8 wrote:
India have not won a Test series in seven attempts since first heading Down Under in 1947-48.

Donny, what happened in the 3 test series 1985/1986. They weren't all draws were they?
I remember we lost 3 test series to New Zealand just prior to this.
I remember Greg Matthews being hailed as the Great White Hope, only to find himself overlooked for Peter Taylor the following summer.
I remember Allan border hitting four 4's in a row one over, maybe in the boxing day test? That impressed me!
I remember Craig McDermott having the weight of carrying the country's bowling attack on his shoulders at 20 y/o., along with Geoff Lawson.
I remember Bruce Reid and Merv Hughes making their debuts in this series, possibly in Adelaide.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes mate, all draws.

In the first, at Adelaide, Hughes, Marsh and Reid all debuted. Boon and Ritchie got centuries. Kapil Dev took 8/106.

Gavaskar scored 166 and Merv's first bowling return was 1/123 and Reid's was 4/113.

The second, at the M.C.G., saw the debut of another Aussie. One Steven Rodger Waugh.

Matthewes hit 100 n.o. Reid took 4/100 & 2/23. Waugh took 2/36 and scored 13 & 5. Allan Border knocked up 163 in the second innings.

The third, in Sydney, saw a mountain of runs from India - 4/600 - with Gavaskar, Srikkanth and Armanath getting tons and Boony scoring one for the Aussies.

Waugh scored 13,5,8 and 0 in his first 4 Test innings. It was to be 4 years till he notched his first Test century. He's scored another 31 since. Very Happy

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:46 pm

MAGFAN8 wrote:
The second, at the M.C.G., saw the debut of another Aussie. One Steven Rodger Waugh.

I know i'm asking for it Donny, but i've always said Steve only really got promoted so early because our other all-rounder Simon O'Donnell, slid/crashed into a fence attempting to stop a boundary earlier in that year, and for memory damaged his back for the better part of 12 months.

I've alway thought if SOD hadn't had that injury, then Waugh's debut would have been delayed to around 1987/88 season.

dyso
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:35 pm

Yes Dyso,

O'Donell's test career came to a halt after his dispute with the SCG fence.
Waugh's premature entry to the Test team came as a result of:
1. the dire straits of the team due to rebel tour 1, Wessels withdrawal and injuries.
2. a concerted push from Sydney media figures like Bill O'Reilly.

Donny is correct in stating the fact that he took 4 years to score his first test ton, at Headingly in 1989. For much of the time he was sustained by his ODI form (not really separate teams in those days). In the early days he frankly looked what he was; an over promoted grade cricketer and for the first 3-4 years he was useful with the bat and ball without doing anything flash.

BTW, Dyso; am not sure that SOD may have had much of a Test career as all rounder as his bowling had not proven penetrative at Test level.

My final point will undoubtedly see voodoo needles into my furry hide. The selectors patience has certainly been vindicated in the long term, however what else should not be disputed is the fact that he was also extended far greater latitude re performance that any others of his time and since!!!!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:40 pm

Two what?
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:58 pm

commonwombat wrote:
am not sure that SOD may have had much of a Test career as all rounder as his bowling had not proven penetrative at Test level.
My final point will undoubtedly see voodoo needles into my furry hide. The selectors patience has certainly been vindicated in the long term, however what else should not be disputed is the fact that he was also extended far greater latitude re performance that any others of his time and since!!!!

CW,
Excellent reply my furry friend. RE: SOD, if memory serves, he was the first australian to reach 100 wickets in ODI's as he without a doubt bowled the best "slower ball" in the country. Although this ball is better served in ODI's than test cricket, i would have to see his bowling stats in the few tests he was "granted". But i guess we'll never know. Not one of the selectors favourites was he? Didn't he score a test century in England on 1985 Ashes tour?

I think my butt will be joining your furry hide as a voodoo pin cushion, as i too thought SR Waugh was "carried", not nurtured, for the first few years by the Australian selectors at the time, who if i'm not mistaken were all NSW. Obviously in hindsight we can say the contributions and longevity achieved by SR Waugh would have exceeded even those particular selectors expectations.

dyso
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:06 pm

No Test ton for SOD, piedys, in fact no Test 50 even.

206 runs @ 29.42 as a batsman.

6 wickets @ 84 as a bowler.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:14 pm

D,
thanks for reply. Can i verify SOD's test stats on a site you know of?
His absence from the test team has irked me since i was a teenager.
Does Baggygreen have all these figures archived on a test by test basis?
PM me if you wish.

cheers
dyso

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:00 pm

Dyso,

The ton that you were referring to was not in a Test match but in a lead up match against a MCC XI at Lords, a lead-up match before the tests.

In the Tests in England in 1985, Australia's bowling depth was cut badly by withdrawals (Rebel Tour of RSA) and only McDermott was consistently effective. Lawson, after a fine series against W.I, was totally ineffective. They also came across Gower in probably career best form.

With the bat, SOD has an inglorious start with a golden quacker. After that he got a few starts without going on, best score was @ 46.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:03 pm

That sounds like a plan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: