Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why some don't support Australia???

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swooper 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with JLC!!

My sentiments exactly..
I@n S 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:57 pm

Well with me I agree with JLC.
Australian cricket team is full of wankers to be honest. As far as Ireland Vs Australia in the international rules goes. I don't really care about it.
Ireland's game, Australias game are both different and trying to merge them is silly. It doesn't work IMO.

Regarding me supporting England. I came to Australia when I was six. Why support England and not Australia if you been here longer you ask?

Well it's just like following Collingwood. It's like how many of you who do because your Parents or friends do and you got it from an early age.
Collingwood was from a best friend when I was about 11 and following England was from my Dad. Since the 1992 world cup I starting following Cricket. I went to every England game at the MCG back then including the WC final agaist Pakistan.

So thats my story
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:05 am

Thanks for the input Ian. Would you say that you feel more patriotic towards our mother country that Australia, because of your dad etc?

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Joe 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:19 pm

The Aussies are definitely aggressive and possibly arrogant on the field.I do not have a problem with this.From a young child I always loved the confidence and class that the Windies played with.Also the aussies used to call me names coming from a migrant background lo.So I automatically went for the team playing the aussies,The windies,I just stuck with them.
lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:48 pm

Good Topic!

I think the answer to the question stems back to this "underdog" mentality that we have all grown up on. Rightly or wrongly it exists and becomes obvious in times when Australia reigns in a particular field. Further, we have a "tall poppy" syndrome that attempts to knock down bigheads (some deservedly!). The two combined may lay claim to this anti-Australia sentiment?? Confused Confused
I@n S 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:06 am

Blanch wrote:
Thanks for the input Ian. Would you say that you feel more patriotic towards our mother country than Australia, because of your dad etc?

yeah patriotic towards England a little more.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:08 am

I could say it. "that you feel more patriotic towards our mother country than Australia because of your dad etc"
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:19 am

I asked "would" you, not "could" you. HAL, your english skills are dropping.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:24 am

Im not sure Id like to not could you.
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:58 pm

nice topic. i've always been on the anti-oz side of things myself.

for starters, being an arts student & all, i despise a lotta things about my country.

2nd, i think too many of the australian players have ludicrously big reputations (and thus ludicrously big heads) despite the fact they've had literally ZILCH international competition for 5 odd years. the core of the problem (and the reason why certain average aussie batsmen have over-inflated averages) is that there's a MASSIVE dearth of decent fast bowlers overseas. certainly, there's a few rare exceptions - one or two playing for certain countries maybe - but has the hayden/langer opening combo REALLY been challenged by a SERIOUS opening bowling attack? hell no.

what this has lead to is a string of immensely boring australian summers - basically just opportunities for australian batsmen to boost their averages & score EXTREMELY dull centuries. think about langer's double century at the MCG last summer. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. double centuries (even just centuries) are meant to be amazing, memorable achievements, earned after fending off a decent bowling attack. TEST CRICKET is all about the thrill of those intense sessions, in which a decent bowler ties down a decent batsman, & the batsman fights back.

certainly, one can argue that australia (& steve waugh) have made the test game much more exciting & one-day-ish. but this is only because the aussie batsmen are allowed to score so bloody fast by extremely shitful bowlers. look at those so-called 'spinners' hayden slaughtered on his way to that remorselessly dull 300-whatever. taylor's 334 was THAT much more memorable it's just not funny.

of course, the lack of decent players overseas has nothing to do with australia. australia isn't to blame for the state of the international game. but i hate the way this current team is trumpeted like one of the greatest ever or some such. & i love listening to old-time commentators who laugh off suggestions that mcgrath (line & length zzzzzz) is ANYWHERE NEAR the bowler lillee was.

occasionally they show old test cricket from the 70's & 80's on foxtel, featuring guys like lillee. have a look at the way lillee reacts after pretty much shattering a set of stumps & one can understand why people despise brett lee's antics so much. so there's a multitude of reasons why a lot of aussies prefer watching the aussies get beat - or prefer watching decent, competitive test cricket. that test series a few years ago against india in india - now THAT was test cricket. brilliant competition. unforgettable intensity. almost football-esque.
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:36 pm

The 1 good thing about Australia is The way they are captained, by steve waugh!
HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:37 pm

Huh. . . . really?
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:25 am

Pity the Windies team of the 70's and 80's can't be cloned and transplanted into the new millenium.

Quote:
there's a MASSIVE dearth of decent fast bowlers overseas.[

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:26 am

Quote:
there's a MASSIVE dearth of decent fast bowlers overseas.[

Pity the Windies team of the 70's and 80's can't be cloned and transplanted into the new millenium.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:13 am

Not really having a go at foxy here per se, but.....

foxy wrote:

2nd, i think too many of the australian players have ludicrously big reputations (and thus ludicrously big heads) despite the fact they've had literally ZILCH international competition for 5 odd years. the core of the problem (and the reason why certain average aussie batsmen have over-inflated averages) is that there's a MASSIVE dearth of decent fast bowlers overseas. certainly, there's a few rare exceptions - one or two playing for certain countries maybe - but has the hayden/langer opening combo REALLY been challenged by a SERIOUS opening bowling attack? hell no.

and the Windies faced great fast bowling at their peak in the mid 80's? from who? Geoff Lawson? I'd reckon Allan Donald, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, shaun pollock, Darren Gough, Shane Bond may disagree with you there.
What makes a great side great? They destroy opposition bowling...if you checked the records of thos you reckon a crap bowlers, you'd probably see they do OK against others, exactly the same scenario with windies in 80's.
Batting averages have been heading upwards for years now, as pitches are improved, 'doctoring' not allowed and pitches covered in rain...no more 'sticky wickets'. having lesser lights in, like Bangla and zimmers helps, but not to the extent you'd think.

foxy wrote:
what this has lead to is a string of immensely boring australian summers - basically just opportunities for australian batsmen to boost their averages & score EXTREMELY dull centuries. think about langer's double century at the MCG last summer. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. double centuries (even just centuries) are meant to be amazing, memorable achievements, earned after fending off a decent bowling attack. TEST CRICKET is all about the thrill of those intense sessions, in which a decent bowler ties down a decent batsman, & the batsman fights back.

Test cricket has those intense sessions Foxy, but not every session...sometimes the batsmen flay the bowlers, others it the reverse..I wouldnt have called any of the centuries last summer DULL, Vaughns knocks were classics, as was Waughs in Sydney, Hayden and Ponting in Brissy....and I'd say some double hundreds are amazing, others boring, just like you can get a boring 50 of a swashbuckling one. Watching Allan Donald get stuck into Atherton a few years ago here was a great session, as was the working over he gave the Waughs in sydney years back...

foxy wrote:
of course, the lack of decent players overseas has nothing to do with australia. australia isn't to blame for the state of the international game. but i hate the way this current team is trumpeted like one of the greatest ever or some such. & i love listening to old-time commentators who laugh off suggestions that mcgrath (line & length zzzzzz) is ANYWHERE NEAR the bowler lillee was.

Make no mistake, McGrath is a great bowler, Lillee was arguably the finest fast bowler in the last 50 years.....this team is one of the greatest ever, they've pretty much thumped every team they've come up against...you may hate it but, and you may not like the way they play, but there record stands up to scrutiny. And records are all you can go on.

foxy wrote:
occasionally they show old test cricket from the 70's & 80's on foxtel, featuring guys like lillee. have a look at the way lillee reacts after pretty much shattering a set of stumps & one can understand why people despise brett lee's antics so much. so there's a multitude of reasons why a lot of aussies prefer watching the aussies get beat - or prefer watching decent, competitive test cricket. that test series a few years ago against india in india - now THAT was test cricket. brilliant competition. unforgettable intensity. almost football-esque.

Lillee reacts....aluminium Bat incident, sinking the slipper into Miandad...you reckon Lee and co are over the top, have a look a Benaud bowling out the poms in 61..that's celebrating!! just won the ashes and his teamates give him a few claps from afar..I think he may have got a pat on the back after taking the last wicket! must have had the MCC members gagging on their G&T's then!...and the recent Aus/India series was one of the BEST ever, (pity it didnt go 5 tests 3 test series a bollox imho) that series equaled 60/61 Windies tour in Oz for twists, turns and drama...so it happens twice evey 40 years! Now, as for football comparison, how may crap games of football were played last year?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: