Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Paul Gow in form in the U.S.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:23 pm
Post subject: Paul Gow in form in the U.S.Reply with quote

'Joe Blow' Gow in with a shot
By Andrew Both in Greensboro, North Carolina
October 18, 2003

PAUL Gow knows his place in golf's pecking order, but that doesn't mean he can't win at the highest level.

"I'm no Tiger Woods, or even David Toms. I'm just a Joe Blow, one of the numbers out there," the modest Sydneysider said after a three-under-par 69 in the second round at the Chrysler Classic of Greensboro here today.

Gow was equal third, six strokes behind Japanese leader Shigeki Maruyama, dubbed the smiling assassin, who carded a sizzling 64 for 15-under 129 and a four-stroke halfway lead over American Brad Faxon at Forest Oaks.

Not that Gow ever thought he couldn't win on the US Tour, but the recent victories of compatriots Adam Scott and Stuart Appleby have not been lost on him.

"I can win out here," said the Sydneysider. "I'm not as good as those guys. They can do it more times than I can, but I can probably do it once or twice a year."

Gow's improved form followed a decision to take his stance with his feet barely 15 centimetres apart.

It has cost him a little distance, perhaps 10 metres with his driver, but he's made up for it with greater control of his ball.

Gow wasn't the only Australian well placed. Geoff Ogilvy (69) was equal ninth, eight strokes off the pace, while Peter Lonard (70) and Appleby (70) were another shot back, tied 17th.

Ogilvy recently had five weeks off to allow a torn rib cage muscle to repair, but the break doesn't seem to have done him any harm.

Lonard didn't seem too worried about giving his good mate Gow a three-shot headstart: "I'll mow the little bastard down over the weekend," he said.

Of the other Australians, Robert Allenby shot 70 for 140, Mathew Goggin 70 for 142, Aaron Baddeley 71 for 142, Anthony Painter 75 for 142, Scott Laycock 70 for 142, Greg Chalmers 71 for 143 and Gavin Coles 73 for 143.

John Senden was the only Australian to miss the cut.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: