Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mark McGough

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdesmaele, yr right on the ball. His strengths are extremely valuable but they can count for diddly squat. Fitness is a key, the kid is NOT fast so he'll have to be able to go all game. If you're not quick, you've got to be able to get the ball and be constructive with it.

He has the first part of that equation but unless he improves his disposal, his possession counts and hard ball gets will be closely countered by his turnover count. Please do not debate the point that the teams delivery out of defence into attack has not been a problem in the crunch games.

I would have no problem with him getting another season. However those raising the point re ages of Bucks, Burnsy and the like are in danger of overlooking the fact that we have a number of others on our books.

Woey, Lica and O'Bree are mid-late 20's. However there are also the likes of Shackleton and King coming thru from Willi. Didak has shown potentail in midfield as well as goalsneaking. Small/medium defenders of the likes of Lonie, Johnson and in some peoples view Cole could well come in to calculations for midfield/on-ball roles. This is not taking into account any acquisitions.

I wish him well and hope he does progress but he looks to have a struggle ahead of him at Collingwood.

Buckethead 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:20 pm

Hmm I'm really not sure about all this Shackleton, King hype. Shackleton looks like his got abit of Ricciouto in him which is good but I think people are pinning abit too much hope in them. I also think McGough has the potential to be better than woey, Lica and O'bree, its just his kick, and I don't think Cole's kicking is much better than Mcgough's. Plus in footy you don't neccesarily have to be quick, you just have to be smart, which is something mcgough defenitely is, look at Greg Williams as a perfect example. Sorry if i'm repeating myself I'm just worried he may be on his way. Also, what is it with Collingwood fans insisting on trading, as much as I despise them, Brisbane's success is largely a product of the draft. That team have practically been together for 8 years.
Harvey 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:35 pm

i agree with u buckethead, we should stick with youth and development of young players. i think its bulls@#t that MM doesn't like him. how do they know? but if it is true its probably because of his attitude to footy ie his motivation for improvement. i think that we should persist with blooding young players but only if they have the right attitude and are hungry for success.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:50 am

McGough will stay, unless he requests a trade, he's still young yet, got a lot of years left (unless he gets struck by injury)

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
ScottyMac Libra

Pride, Passion, Commitment, COLLINGWOOD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:30 pm

I think Mcgough's race has been run.... there are players now in our club that are a long way ahead of him. You have the Woewodin, Holland, Shackleton's etc that will be the shorter term future of the club. Add into that Kingy, Nixon etc.
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:56 pm

188cm's! I doubt it.
Buckethead 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:56 pm

Greg J, Mark McGough is 188cm, he is a bloody big boy, its his listed height on the Collingwood website and if you've seen him in real life you'd have little argument. How can u people honestly say that Nixon and Shackleton have come through and progressed more? What a crock, Nixon was serviceable for williamstown, so was Shackleton tho he had one really impressive game. Don't get me wrong, I like em both, but ffs McGough has won AFL games for us, its ridiculous to say Shackleton and co have progressed past him. btw, woewodin is no where near as young as he looks, he'd be high 20's by now id say.
ScottyMac Libra

Pride, Passion, Commitment, COLLINGWOOD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:56 pm

The argument there is tho that they are now the future of this football club... don't get me wrong I think Mcgough is a good footballer player... CAN find the ball and CAN use it... BUT I thin he has run his race he has had opportunity to make the grade and hasn't been able to do so... Same boat as Chipper Adkins in the past and as Heath Scotland at the moment.
Rob8 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:32 pm
Post subject: McGoughReply with quote

Not sure if trading McGough is the right thing to do at the moment as i dont feel we'll actually get much for him if we can only get pick 51 for Scotland who i would imagine most clubs rate higher.

McGough (as has been previously stated) is a ball magnet, tall for a midfielder and very strong over the contest and i feel a trade now for basically whatever we could get may come back to bite us on the backside particularly (fingers crossed this doesnt happen) we get midfield injuries next year.

Daks Libra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:35 pm

how can u people bag mcgough like u do? just cuz he hasnt been getting much game time, doesnt mean that he's no good.... i agree with buckethead, mcgough has won afl games for us.... he wont go anywhere, how about we give him time?

© Daks 2006
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: