Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Scud, Arthurs through to semis

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:24 am
Post subject: Scud, Arthurs through to semisReply with quote

Scud battles through to victory
From correspondents in Shanghai - Fox
September 27, 2003

AUSTRALIAN Mark Philippoussis battled his way to victory overnight, defeating Guillermo Canas of Argentina 6-3 7-6 (7-4) to earn a place in the semi-finals of the $US380,000 ($560,225) ATP tournament in Shanghai.

Evergreen Australian Wayne Arthurs earlier reached his first semi-final since February with a tough three-set win over Croatian Ivo Karlovic in Shanghai.

Arthurs overcame Karlovic - the famous first-round Wimbledon conqueror of Lleyton Hewitt - 6-4 3-6 7-6 (7-2).

Arthurs, 32, will meet top seed Jiri Novak for a place in the final after the Czech advanced when Swede Magnus Norman retired injured trailing 2-1 in the first set.

Arthurs is continuing the good form he displayed in Australia's Davis Cup semi-final win over Switzerland last weekend.

The big-serving left-hander was the star of Australia's pivotal doubles victory over Roger Federer and Marc Rosset.

Arthurs last reached the semi-finals of a singles event in Copenhagen seven months ago.

Third seed Philippoussis overpowered the hard-hitting Canas with his booming serve, as the ATP 15th rank failed to capitalise on numerous break opportunities in the second set that would have forced the match to a third set.

Ahead 5-4 in the second set, Canas let three-break points slip away to help the Wimbledon finalist towards the deciding tiebreaker.

"I'm happy with the way I played. I think I could have done a couple of things a bit better, but I'm happy with the way I served," Philippoussis said.

"I let myself get lazy and missed some shots I shouldn't have," the 26-year-old added.

Philippoussis will tomorrow meet Sweeden's Robin Soderling, who toughed it out against Scott Draper of Australia, to earn his first-ever berth in an ATP semi-final, 6-7 (3-7) 7-6 (7-3) 7-6 (7-1).

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Scud through, Arthurs out
From correspondents in Shanghai
September 27, 2003

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS has kept the Australian flag flying at the Shanghai Open, booking a final showdown against Jiri Novak after the Czech top seed ousted Wayne Arthurs.

Third seed Philippoussis improved his season record to 35-16 when he took just 67 minutes to seal a 6-4 6-4 semi-final win over 19-year-old Swede Robin Soderling. The convincing victory made up for the disappointment of countryman Arthurs who self destructed in his 6-7 (7-9) 6-3 6-2 semi-final loss to Novak.

Philippoussis didn't have it all his own way, falling behind 4-2 midway through the second set before blowing away Soderling, winning the final four games to take the match.

"I was serving huge today, and I was just trying to make him play," said Philippoussis who qualified for this third final since losing the Wimbledon decider to Swiss Roger Federer.

World No.91 Soderling was playing in his first career ATP semi-final.

"I think he has a lot of potential, he's definitely got a lot of weapons," Philippoussis said of his opponent.

"I lost the timing in the second set ... I got it back but I was a little bit too tense and eager to make it to the finals.

Of his final opponent Novak, he said: "He's a tough player who returns well. It's going to be a tough match, no doubt."

Contesting his first semi-final since February and only his second of the year, Arthurs, 32, started strongly by taking the first set tiebreaker with a second-service ace after Novak gave away an early 4-2 lead.

The second set swung back and forth on service until Arthurs, down 4-3, double-faulted on double break-point to help Novak take the set 6-3.

Arthurs then self-destructed in the third with a series of unforced errors that gave Novak a 4-0 lead and an eventual 6-2 triumph.

"The first set was very strange because he was serving very fast and very well. It was a good weapon for him," Novak said.

But Arthurs got his revenge in the doubles semi-final as he and compatriot Paul Hanley ousted Novak and Czech Petr Pala 6-7 (9/11) 6-2 7-6 (7/4).

The Australian pair will face in the final surprise winners Shaoxuan Zeng and Ben-Qiang Zhu of China, who beat Federico Browne of Argentina and Croatian Ivo Karlovic 6-3 6-2.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Scud wins Shanghai crown
From correspondents in Shanghai, China
September 28, 2003

THIRD-Seed Mark Philippoussis mastered top seed Jiri Novak 6-2 6-1 to win the final of the $US380,000 ($560,225) ATP tournament in Shanghai.

The big-serving Australian needed less than 50 minutes to get the better of the powerful Czech with his usual combination of fast serves and solid ground strokes.

A sluggish Novak, never in the match except for in the opening games, committed a litany of unforced errors as shot after shot sailed wide or into the net.

Novak's trouble began in the fifth game of the first set, as the Wimbledon finalist caught the world No.12 off guard with a couple of drop shots for his first of five breaks in the match.

With the win Philippoussis gains the No.9 spot in the ATP champions race.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: