Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Zimbabwe in Australia

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:37 pm
Post subject: Zimbabwe in AustraliaReply with quote

Streak says draws would be achievements for Zimbabwe
Lynn McConnell - September 25, 2003

Not much that is new in cricket is left as a challenge for the all-conquering Australians, but a home Test match against Zimbabwe is one of them, and Test cricket's second-youngest participants arrived in Perth yesterday for their first crack at the world champions on their home soil. Even international cricket's newest country Bangladesh have played Tests in Australia before Zimbabwe.

It is a task as difficult as any the African nation has faced in the game. They arrived in Australia severely depleted and not fully representative of the advances the side has made since they played their first Test, against India, in 1992-93. They have lost wicketkeeper-batsman Andy Flower, who retired from international cricket after the World Cup to pursue a career with South Australia, his brother Grant Flower cruelly suffered a broken finger just before the side left for the tour and one of its more promising bowlers, Henry Olonga, made a political statement at the World Cup, along with Andy Flower, about events in Zimbabwe, and decided to follow a singing career in exile.

For a country so ill-equipped in resources, these were body blows and when captain Heath Streak says his side will be aiming to draw their Test matches it is an indication of the reconstruction the side is having to go through. "If we walked away with a draw, I think that would be a huge achievement for Zimbabwe cricket," Streak said. "If we had the opportunity for a win, then obviously we are going to go for it. But I think it is going to be a huge learning curve for us on this tour.

"If we can take some big positives out of this tour, Zimbabwe cricket will be the better for it. Hopefully, we can come back in a couple of years' time as a more experienced side and one that can maybe play in a three-Test series."

The first Test of the tour is to start in Perth on October 9, the earliest Test in an Australian season but one that is indicative of the greater pressures on all countries to fulfil their obligations under the five-year plan in the International Cricket Council's Test championship.

In their 67-Test history Zimbabwe have won seven Tests, five of them at home but it has been two years since their last victory, and with such a depleted side at the moment the chances of the next being in the two matches with Australia are slim.

Coach Geoff Marsh, the former Australian opener, said the emphasis would be on the batsmen in the series. "The key for us is our batting," he said. "If we can get to 300, we will be competitive given our bowling line-up. But getting to 300 will be the big test."

Zimbabwe's official opening match is on Wednesday against the Cricket Australia Chairman's XI at Lilac Hill but since the announcement of the tour itinerary, an unofficial 12-a-side, three-day match starting on Sunday has been arranged against Rockingham Mandurah at Settlers Hill, Baldvis. After the Lilac Hill match Zimbabwe will have a three-day warm-up match against Western Australia, before the first Test. The second Test is in Sydney from October 17-21.

The Zimbabwe touring squad is: Heath Streak (captain), Andy Blignaut, Gary Brent, Stuart Carlisle, Dion Ebrahim, Sean Ervine, Craig Evans, Gavin Ewing, Trevor Gripper, Douglas Hondo, Stewart Matsikenyeri, Ray Price, Tatenda Taibu, Mark Vermeulen, Craig Wishart.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

'I'm itching to bowl at Australian batsmen' - Blignaut
Wisden CricInfo staff - September 26, 2003

Andy Blignaut, the Zimbabwean allrounder, has got his hunger back and is now looking to feast on Australia's batting order. He went into a self-imposed 14-month exile from cricket until a year ago after a furious spat with Zimbabwe's cricketing authorities.

With the dispute firmly consigned to history, Blignaut is now relishing the prospect of Zimbabwe's first Test against Australia in Australia. "I had a bit of a problem with some of the admin people, and people around me and I was not then really focussed on the game at that point, so I thought it was better just to step back for a while," he explained on Friday.

"That is well behind me now, and I am itching to bowl at the Australian batsmen," he said after a training session with team-mates ahead of next month's two Test series. "I have recaptured the hunger."

Blignaut has already made a promising comeback after his stay away from the game, showing good touch as an allrounder in the World Cup and in a Test series in England earlier this year. "I think that Australian pitches could be quite good for my type of bowling," he said. "Australian pitches are bouncier, and I certainly like that. But bowling really goes to basics. You have to keep the ball in the right area and give yourself the best chance. The Australian top order is very strong, but if you get the ball on the spot it takes the ball to move only about two inches (5cm) and your luck can be in."

Blignaut will open the bowling with Heath Streak. "Obviously, if we cannot perform well, there will be a lot more pressure on the guys who have to back us up," he said. "It is up to us to do the job. It is a privilege to play with a guy of Heath's calibre. I especially like to play against the Australians. It's a great challenge, and it gets the adrenaline going."

Bruce Reid, Zimbabwe's bowling coach, has been impressing on his charges the importance of length on Australian pitches. "He has emphasised the importance of getting the batsmen to play as much as possible," said Blignaut. "He has taught us a lot -- we just have to keep it in the head and carry it out on the field."

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:53 am

Love to miss out as Martyn prepares for return
Wisden CricInfo staff - September 24, 2003

Damien Martyn is set to be recalled when Australia name their squad for the first Test against Zimbabwe at Perth which starts on October 9. He is likely to be preferred to Martin Love who has struggled to make an impression despite scoring a hundred in his last outing against Bangladesh. Love came into the side when Martyn missed the Caribbean tour because of the broken finger he suffered during the World Cup.

Trevor Hohns, Australia's chairman of selectors, refused to speculate on the squad but confirmed that Martyn was in the frame. "Damien was a senior established player before he was injured and his position is a matter that will obviously be discussed at length," Hohns said. "But it would be presumptuous to speculate about who is going to play. We will pick the team early next week and all sorts of factors will be considered."

Australia were boosted by the news that Glenn McGrath's recovery from ankle surgery was going better than expected and that he was on course to be fit in time for the match. "There is no reason to cross him off the list for selection yet," Errol Alcott, Australia's physiotherapist said. "He is coming along well, has been bowling in the local park without problems and I am pretty optimistic he will be right."

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:00 pm

McGrath happy to bowl without pain
By Robert Craddock
September 30, 2003

FAST bowler Glenn McGrath is confident of being fit for the first Test of the summer and is relishing the prospect of playing without the pain that dogged him for a decade.

Australia's four-man selection panel will meet today to choose a side for Thursday week's first Test against Zimbabwe in Perth and the most significant discussion will centre on McGrath who had off-season surgery to negate a bone spur in his left ankle.

If McGrath is chosen, he may have to complete successive days training in Perth on Saturday and Sunday before his place is confirmed.

When the injury flared during the Test against Bangladesh in Cairns, McGrath revealed he had been playing in pain throughout his 95-Test career as he battled an injury first sustained on the basketball court as a teenager.

"I feel great," McGrath said yesterday.

"People have been writing me off and saying I have been weeks behind schedule but those stories have not had the right facts.

"I am very confident. The ankle is great. I think it will be better than it has been for most of my career."

McGrath has been bowling off his long run in six-over spells in a park in Sydney for team physiotherapist Errol Alcott who is pleased with his progress.

"The doctor is very happy with him . . . he is ahead of schedule," Alcott said. "I don't want to pre-empt anything but I want to get him to Perth so we can go through some successive days of workloads."

"He is not out of the woods yet. He has not completed all the criteria. But there have been no hitches."

Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns said he expected McGrath to be available but would have further consultation with team medical officials today before a final decision is made.

It seems a formality Damien Martyn, who missed the Test series against Bangladesh in July with a badly broken finger sustained in the World Cup in March, will be recalled to replace Martin Love, who made 100 not out in his last Test innings against Bangladesh in Cairns.

Love is likely to join Paul Sheahan, John Benaud and Dirk Wellham in the luckless list of Australian batsmen to be dropped after scoring Test centuries.

Sheahan and Benaud were told during the second Test against Pakistan in Melbourne in 1972-73 they would be dropped for the next Test and defiantly went out and scored centuries.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: