Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pakistan cricket captain resigns

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:52 pm
Post subject: Pakistan cricket captain resignsReply with quote

i heard rashid latif resigned,is this right donny??

cheers bryan..!!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh really? That sounds pretty juicy. . .
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:56 pm

Yes, m8, I heard this on the news. I'll see if I can find anything official.

------------------------------------------

Pakistan captain resigns
From correspondents in Karachi
September 25, 2003

RASHID LATIF resigned as captain of the Pakistan cricket team today in a dramatic development ahead of next week's much-awaited South African Test tour.

"I have resigned but have nothing to say on the matter," said Latif.

Pakistan Cricket Board chief executive Rameez Raja said he had no information about Latif's resignation.

Latif, 34, was appointed captain in March following Pakistan's first-round exit from this year's World Cup held in southern Africa.

He was given the post until New Zealand's planned tour of Pakistan in December.

But he came under attack from PCB chairman, former Lieutenant General Tauqir Zia, who accused him of violating the players' code of conduct.

Zia criticised Latif for writing a letter to the International Cricket Council on match-fixing in international cricket and for statements he made on the issue to the national media.

The wicketkeeper, who led Pakistan to a 3-0 Test victory over Bangladesh last month, was suspended for five one-day matches by South African match referee Mike Procter after he was charged with claiming an unfair catch in the third and last Test at Multan.

Inzamam-ul Haq, who led Pakistan to the 5-0 one-day series win, is likely to be made captain for next month's home series against the South Africans.

Latif reportedly met the PCB chairman here but chief executive Rameez Raja said he has no details.

"We have yet to receive anything from Latif," said Raja.

PCB spokesman Samiul Hasan confirmed Latifs resignation.

"PCB can only confirm that Latif has resigned. He has given no reason of his resignation and PCB has nothing in writing," said Hasan.

"PCB will not make any further comments on the matter."

A statement issued by PCB today quoted Zia as saying that he is disappointed and sad over Latif's decision to resign and retire from international cricket.

"However, the resignation of Rashid Latif has not been accepted or rejected by the PCB Chairman. The decision will be made on Thursday," the statement said.

Latif, in an e-mail sent to reporters today, said: "I am available for the series against South Africa as a player because fans are angry and insisting me to play."

Former Pakistan captain Zaheer Abbas said Latif's resignation could create a crisis.

"I think Latif's resignation has to do with some inside controversy and it could create crisis in Pakistan cricket because he was given the guarantee to lead a clean team," said Zaheer.

Pakistani media said Latif had serious disagreements with chief selector Aamir Sohail during the series with Bangladesh.

Pakistan have a history of sacking captains and coaches; Latif is the fifth captain to be replaced since 1999.

While skipper he led Pakistan in six Tests, winning four, losing one and drawing one. In 13 one-day games under him, Pakistan won six and lost seven.

Latif remained a crusader against match-fixing as he accused fellow players of involvement in wrongdoing and resigned in protest during Pakistan's tour to South Africa and Zimbabwe in 1994-95.

He provided recorded evidence to a match-fixing inquiry conducted by Lahore High Court Justice Malik Mohammad Qayyum and based on this former captain Salim Malik and pacer Ataur Rehman was banned.

Six others – Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Mushtaq Ahmed, Inzamam, Akram Raza and Saeed Anwar – were fined.

Latif also escaped punishment from ICC match referee Clive Loyd during the 2003 World Cup when he was alleged to have made a racial remark against Australian wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist.

He threatened to sue Gilchrist but later changed his mind

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:11 pm

Here's an example of how things can go horribly wrong.

I thought Latif was a breath of fresh air when he was appointed captain of Pakistan.

Apart from being an excellent wicketkeeper/batsman, he brough a fresh approach to Pakistan cricket.

He was something of a a crusader against match-fixing. He resigned in protest during Pakistan's tour to South Africa and Zimbabwe in 1994-95.

Shortly after he was appointed, he wrote to the I.C.C. pointing out where he thought cricket was still open to possible 'fixes'. This did not go down well with Pakistan officials but Latif apologised and got on with the job.

In the last Test against Bangladesh, he claimed a catch which replays showed to be suspect. He was banned for 5 ODIs, which he has now served.

He has made himself available, as a player, for the upcoming matches against Sth. Africa.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:32 pm

Inzamam takes over captaincy from Latif
Wisden CricInfo staff - September 25, 2003

Inzamam-ul-Haq has been appointed the new Pakistan captain, starting with the forthcoming series against South Africa and the New Zealand tour later this year, it was announced today. Also in the squad to face the South Africans were Rashid Latif, who resigned as captain yesterday, and the recalled Mushtaq Ahmed.

Inzamam recently led Pakistan to a 5-0 whitewash against Bangladesh while Latif was serving a five-match ban for an incident in the Multan Test. Inzamam's appointment caps off a remarkable turnaround in fortune and favour. Only a month ago he was in the international wilderness, and although he was recalled to bolster Pakistan's middle order in the first Test against Bangladesh, he made a duck in the first innings and only mustered another 88 runs in his next three knocks. But his matchwinning unbeaten 138 in the one-wicket victory at Multan showed that he still has what it takes.

Lt-Gen. Tauqir Zia, the chairman of the Pakistan board, said in a statement: "I had a lengthy discussion with Inzamam-ul-Haq and he looks geared up and motivated to lead the Pakistan team. He understands that he has a tough job in hand and realizes that he not only has to lead the team in a tough series against South Africa but also continue the good job done by Rashid."

Inzamam added: "I am delighted that the establishment has put faith in my abilities. I will put in my best and will try to carry on the good work done by Rashid Latif. There will be pressure on me. But I guess after playing for 13-odd years, one has to raise his hand and say yes I can handle this pressure and shoulder the hopes of millions of Pakistan supporters."

Mushtaq's recall rounds off a remarkable year for him after his 100-wicket haul for Sussex in English county cricket. Aamer Sohail, Pakistan's chairman of selectors, said of him: "The opposition [in England] might not be as tough as the South Africans. But the great thing is that he is bowling well and taking a lot of wickets. There is no denying the fact that a lot is expected of him in the forthcoming series."

The revised series against South Africa starts on Oct 3, with the first one-day international at Lahore.

Squad
Mohammad Hafeez, Yasir Hameed, Yousuf Youhana, Inzamam-ul-Haq (capt), Younis Khan, Abdul Razzaq, Shoaib Malik, Rashid Latif (wk), Mohammad Sami, Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Gul, Shabbir Ahmed, Saqlain Mushtaq, Mushtaq Ahmed, Faisal Iqbal, Salman Butt.

Reserves: Asim Kamal, Imran Farhat, Faisal Athar, Danish Kaneria, Kamran Akmal (wk), Abdul Rauf.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:45 am

Latif and Inzamam play down conspiracy rumours
Wisden CricInfo staff - September 26, 2003

Rashid Latif has admitted that he considered retirement after choosing to step down as Pakistan's captain, but insists his decision was purely personal, and not influenced by the Pakistan Cricket Board or any other extraneous pressure.

"I was flooded with phone calls and e-mails demanding that I should not quit at this juncture," said Latif, as more than 200 people gathered in Karachi to voice their anger at what they perceived to be Latif's unjust treatment at the hands of a "match-fixing mafia". "It was not a hasty decision to step down as captain. I thought it out. There was no pressure on me from the [Pakistan Cricket] Board.

Latif's replacement, Inzamam-ul-Haq, was also keen to play down rumours of a conspiracy. "I assure everyone there was no controversy behind Latif's resignation," said Inzamam. "Latif did not feel comfortable as captain but he remains part of the set-up and his influence would be there on the rebuilding of the team. The recovery after the World Cup was led by Latif and the rebuilding is going the right way."

Inzamam recently led Pakistan to a 5-0 whitewash against Bangladesh while Latif was serving a five-match ban for an incident in the Multan Test. His appointment caps off a remarkable turnaround in fortune and favour. Only a month ago he was in the international wilderness, and although he was recalled to bolster Pakistan's middle order in the first Test against Bangladesh, he made a duck in the first innings and only mustered another 88 runs in his next three knocks. But his matchwinning unbeaten 138 in the one-wicket victory at Multan showed that he still has what it takes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: