Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Kim Clijsters No 1

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:41 pm
Post subject: Kim Clijsters No 1Reply with quote

I think that Kim is a great embassador for the game that she has a sensational warm bubbly personality but here it comes.
How this girl who consistently chokes in the grand slam final can be number 1 is a disgrace.
The ranking system should be altered so that the final carries more weight.
She is a choker of the greatest breed.
Unparalelled unforced errors that Geoffy Pie could have got back.
If my life depended on it give me Serena,Venus or Justine at anytime.
The only reason the Williams sisters have slipped I believe is that they are focussing on too many outside interests otherwise they would give these girls the hidings of their lives on the court.
Just a thought.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Clijsters retains top ranking
From correspondents in New York
September 16, 2003

BELGIAN Kim Clijsters has retained her spot as world No.1 despite losing the US Open final to No.2, compatriot Justine Henin-Hardenne.

Clijsters leads with 6589 points with Henin-Hardenne on 6259 and former No.1, American Serena Williams, on 4955.

The other top 20 placings are:

4. Lindsay Davenport (USA) 3577

5. Jennifer Capriati (USA) 2809

6. Venus Williams (USA) 2508

7. Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) 2341

8. Elena Dementieva (RUS) 2052

9. Chanda Rubin (USA) 1994

10. Anastasia Myskina (RUS) 1702

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:39 am

Clijsters devastating
From correspondents in Filderstadt, Germany
October 10, 2003

KIM CLIJSTERS thrashed Daniela Hantuchova 6-1 6-1 to reach the quarter-finals of the WTA's Filderstadt Grand Prix today.

But fourth seed Jennifer Capriati maintained her dismal record at the event when she was beaten 6-4 6-2 by Mary Pierce.

The American has now won just three of 10 matches she has played here.

Clijsters showed no signs of the ankle injury that forced her retirement from the semi-finals of the Leipzig tournament two weeks ago.

She was in devastating form, taking just 42 minutes to earn victory and surrendering only four points on serve in the entire match. She swept the last 11 points to book a last-eight meeting with fifth seed Amelie Mauresmo.

Capriati was unable to cope with her French opponent's big forehand but her biggest problem was burnout after a long season, during which she has lost several close matches.

"I wasn't really ready to come here but it was my duty as a professional," said Capriati. "It's been a long year for me and I feel I've played a lot of tennis and, to be honest, I'm tired and not in the mood to fight like I always do."

Anastasia Myskina is other player weary after winning two titles in the past two weeks and the No.8 seed surrendered 6-2 6-3 to fellow Russian Elena Bovina.

Third seed Lindsay Davenport advanced with a comfortable 6-2 6-4 win over Japan's Ai Sugiyama, while Frenchwoman Mauresmo beat Patty Schnyder 6-2 7-6.

Sixth seed Elena Dementieva advanced when Silvia Farina Elia retired because of a lower back strain with the Russian leading 6-0 2-1.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:40 pm

A big win for Kim Clijsters and lends more merit to her #1 ranking. Previously, Henin-Hardenne seemed to have her measure.
-----------------------------------------------

Clijsters retains top spot
From correspondents in Filderstadt, Germany
October 13, 2003

KIM CLIJSTERS retained her No.1 spot in world tennis with a 5-7 6-4 6-2 victory over compatriot and nearest rival Justine-Henin Hardenne in the final of the WTA tournament.

It was sweet revenge for Clijsters who had tasted defeat to world No.2 Henin-Hardenne in this year's French and US Open finals with the 20-year-old taking the the prize money and a brand new Porsche Carrera. Clijsters would have lost her top spot to Henin-Hardenne with defeat but showed her mettle recovering from losing the first set to take the next two and defend the WTA title at Filderstadt.

Despite staying at No.1 in the world Clijsters played down the importance of the rankings and was looking forward to the return of the Williams sisters from injury.

"If Serena (Williams) had not got injured she would be No.1 anyway," said Clijsters. "However, I am stronger now and am eager to see how I would now fare against Serena and Venus Willams."

A defeated Henin-Hardenne was gracious in defeat.

"It was a tight match but Kim played really well and deserved to win," said the 21-year-old Belgian.

"I really enjoy playing here and I will be back next year to have another go."

It was the second final defeat on German soil for Henin-Hardenne in a matter of weeks after she lost the WTA tournament in Leipzig to Russian Anastasia Myskina.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:30 pm

Belgians battle for top spot
From correspondents in Los Angeles
November 5, 2003

BELGIAN rivals Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne will battle to the bitter end for the WTA Tour's year-ending world No.1 ranking as the season wraps up this week with the elite Tour Championships.

"I think it's great to see it's going to depend on the last tournament of the year," said Clijsters, whose victory in this event last year was the first step in her climb to the top of the rankings.

"If it would happen it would be great," she said of ending the year as No.1. "Especially at this tournament, it's what started it all for me."

While Clijsters has dominated the rankings, she hasn't managed to match Henin-Hardenne's two Grand Slam titles – at the French Open and US Open.

"If I can finish the year No.1, it would be perfect," said Henin-Hardenne. "I'd like to come back in 2004 as No.1."

Henin-Hardenne's chances may have suffered a slight blow as she arrived here nursing a severe cold accompanied by a fever.

But she said today that she hopes a course of antibiotics will help, as will the fact that she won't have to play her first match until Friday (AEST).

Clijsters headlines the opening program, taking on Russian Elena Dementieva in the third of three matches.

France's Amelie Mauresmo opens the action against American Chanda Rubin, American Jennifer Capriati then plays Japan's Ai Sugiyama.

Under the new format adopted this year, eight players play a round-robin first round of three matches.

"For the crowd I think it's the best format, for the players, too," said Clijsters. "You see the best players play against everybody."

"I think it'll be exciting," said Capriati. "Because if you lose the first match it doesn't necessarily mean you're out of it. You can really get into it.

"Especially for people who are slow starters, or not used to the court, it's good."

Joe 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:13 pm

Keep the seat warm Kimmy until serena comes back and blasts you off the court.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:08 pm

Keep Serena's seat warm, Joe ? The mind boggles.

---------------

Clijsters books semi-final berth
From correspondents in Los Angeles - Fox

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE clawed her way to a 7-5 5-7 7-5 victory over Anastasia Myskina in her opening match of the WTA Tour Championships today as archrival Kim Clijsters booked a semi-final berth with her second straight-set win.

Henin-Hardenne, who arrived in Los Angeles nursing a cold and sinus infection, dropped the first five games of the opening set to Myskina, then reeled off seven games with the aid of on-court medical treatment.

"I was having trouble breathing because of the cold I've had the last few days," she said. "I was short of breath. I explained it to the doctors.

"You know, with stress and the problem I've had in the last few days, I was feeling really bad on the court. But they just told me I was fine. I was healthy, I could continue," said Henin-Hardenne, who was reassured after having her blood pressure checked and taking something for a headache.

Myskina said the injury time-out didn't distract her.

"It didn't affect me," she said. "It was my mistakes. I let her play better. It was my fault."

Myskina came out ahead at the end of a see-saw second set, breaking Henin-Hardenne in the 12th game after they had twice traded breaks.

Leading 5-4 in the third, Myskina pushed Henin-Hardenne to 0-30 on the Belgian's serve, but couldn't earn the winning break.

Instead, Henin-Hardenne earned the decisive break in the 11th game as Myskina double-faulted to give her break point then netted a forehand.

Henin-Hardenne served out with a love game to wrap up the match after two and a half hours.

"I came through, that's the most important thing today," Henin-Hardenne said. "It's an important victory."

Tomorrow, Henin-Hardenne faces American Jennifer Capriati, who she beat in a tough three-setter in the semi-finals of the US Open.

Myskina will take on Japan's Ai Sugiyama in another Black Group clash.

The players with the best records in the Black and Red groups advance to Sunday's semi-finals, with the final on Monday night.

If Henin-Hardenne, winner of the French and US Open titles this year, reaches the semi-finals, she will lock up the season-ending No. 1 ranking.

Current world No. 1 Clijsters booked her place in the final four today with a 6-4 6-4 victory over Chanda Rubin.

"It's nice," Clijsters said. "I've played two good matches. To be the first one, it's a relief I think, as well."

Clijsters led 4-1 and then 5-2 in the first set, but couldn't capitalise on her six set points in the eighth game as Rubin fought back to narrow the gap to 5-4.

Clijsters converted her seventh set point when Rubin missed a backhand volley.

"When I had to do it, I did it," Clijsters said. "That's the most important thing - to be strongest at the moment when you have to be.

"I was up two breaks," she added. "And it's very unusual to lose a match when you're up two breaks. Even when she broke to go to 5-4, I still had to serve for it."

Rubin couldn't find a way through in the second set, failing to earn a break point.

Clijsters broke her to love with a perfectly placed lob to lead 4-3, held her own serve to love in the next game and - after Rubin held serve - took the match with another love game.

Rubin's defeat, coupled with her opening win over Amelie Mauresmo on Wednesday, left her vying with Mauresmo for the second semi-final spot from the Red Group, both with one win and one defeat.

The Frenchwoman, who was a 6-3 6-2 winner over Russian Elena Dementieva on today, must take on Clijsters tomorrow in her final round-robin match.

"I have nothing to lose again. I will just try to play my game again."

Mauresmo said she did that better today.

The Frenchwoman surrendered the first break of serve in the 1hr 9min match in the third game. But she went on to break Dementieva twice in the set - going ahead 5-3 when Dementieva double-faulted on break point.

Mauresmo broke Dementieva twice in the second set, winning five games in a row to take a 5-1 lead while the Russian failed to muster a break point against her.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:15 am

Henin-Hardenne is year-end No.1
From correspondents in Los Angeles - Fox Sports
November 8, 2003

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE booked her place in the semi-finals of the WTA Tour Championships – and assured herself of the year-end No.1 ranking – with a 6-2 6-1 round-robin victory over Jennifer Capriati today.

Henin-Hardenne won the French and US Open titles this year but could only wrest the No.1 ranking away from compatriot Kim Clijsters for a week in October.

But she made sure she'll top the rankings at the end of her stellar season by reaching the semi-finals of the elite $US3 million ($4.26 million) Championships.

Clijsters, meanwhile, completed round-robin play undefeated today, rallying to beat France's Amelie Mauresmo 3-6 6-4 6-4.

The defending champion here, Clijsters had already qualified for the semi-finals, while the fate of Mauresmo, who finished the first phase 1-2, hinges on Red Group rival Chanda Rubin's match tomorrow against Elena Dementieva.

Russia's Anastasia Myskina kept her hopes of advancing alive with a 6-4 6-3 victory over Japan's Ai Sugiyama.

Myskina bounced back from two early service breaks, which saw her trailing 4-1 in the opening set, to win in 65 minutes.

More importantly, she recovered from a three-set loss to Henin-Hardenne that had kept her on court until nearly midnight Thursday and up crying after that.

"I'm really proud of myself that I was able to recover," Myskina said.

"It was tough for me. I didn't sleep well. I was thinking 'How stupid can you be, to lose a set when you're up 5-0?"'

Henin-Hardenne, who had sought medical treatment for her racing heart and the lingering effects of a sinus infection during that late-night win over Myskina, looked fit as a fiddle as she dominated Capriati.

"I knew before the match that if I won, I was going to qualify for the semis and then be No.1 in the world," the 21-year-old Belgian said.

"It gave me so much determination. I was coming onto the court so focused."

Capriati was hampered by a hip flexor muscle strain suffered in her opening match on Wednesday.

"I don't think I could move to the fullest of my capability," she said.

"I didn't feel like I could go all out."

Henin-Hardenne didn't face a break point in the 59-minute match, while breaking Capriati twice in each set.

Asked if she was surprised at Henin-Hardenne's speedy recovery from her previous night's marathon, the disappointed Capriati indulged in a little sniping.

"I have never seen anybody recover as fast as she does," Capriati said with a derisory shrug.

"She plays pretty good for all these things that are bothering her."

Capriati was going to need a quick turn around herself to advance. She is due to take on Myskina in a make-or-break match tomorrow.

"I know I'll have to do a lot of running," Capriati said.

"Basically tomorrow is going to be giving it all I've got because if I lose, that is it."

(all matches round-robin). Black Group

Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL) bt Jennifer Capriati (USA) 6-2 6-1

Anastasia Myskina (RUS) bt Ai Sugiyama (JPN) 6-4 6-3

Red Group

Kim Clijsters (BEL) bt Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) 3-6 6-4 6-4

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:29 pm

Clijsters wins WTA Championships
From correspondents in Los Angeles
November 11, 2003

BELGIUM'S Kim Clijsters won the $US3 million ($A4.2 million) WTA Tour Championship, dominating France's Amelie Mauresmo 6-2 6-0 in tonight's final at Staples Centre.

"I think from the start until the end I was very focused," said Clijsters, who claimed the match after 52 minutes when Mauresmo put a backhand into the net. "I played my best tennis of the week."

While Clijsters won't finish the year as world No.1 - compatriot Justine Henin-Hardenne assured herself of that honour just by reaching the semi-finals - Clijsters will finish the season a champion as she retained the title she won here last year.

"Of course it's a little disappointing, but at least I got to be number one (for a period)," said Clijsters, who was playing in her 15th singles final of the season and claimed her ninth title of 2003. "And I end the year number two - that's not too bad."

With the $US1 million ($A1.4 million) first prize, Clijsters also surpassed the $US4 million ($A5.61 million) mark in season earnings, a first for women's tennis.

Her winner's cheque was actually for $US1,000,030 - the extra $US30 to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the WTA Tour.

The Belgian had emerged from round-robin play undefeated, including a three-set win over Mauresmo.

The Frenchwoman, in contrast, had backed into the semi-finals when Elena Dementieva rallied in the final Red Group match to knock out Chanda Rubin and let Mauresmo in.

Clijsters dropped her serve in the opening game of the match, but that was the last break chance that Mauresmo was able to convert, although she had two in the second set.

She twice double faulted to give Clijsters set points in the final game of the first set, and on the second she sent a backhand wide.

"It's been a tough day for me," Mauresmo told the crowd. "I just have to congratulate Kim not only on the week she's had but also the whole year."

Clijsters' year wasn't quite done. She was to return to the Staples Centre court to play the doubles final with partner Ai Sugiyama of Japan against Argentine Paula Suarez and Virginia Ruano Pascual of Spain.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:32 pm

I'm sure she would like to hear about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: