Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hypothetical - round 14 team?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
B: Williams. Brown Frost
HB: Sidebottom Maxwell. Toovey
C White Swan Lumumba
HF: Ball. Reid Goldsack
FF. Elliott. Cloke. Blair

R : Witts Pendlebury Beams
Int : Macaffer Grundy Langdon Dwyer(sub)

EMG (From): Keeffe Broomhead Freeman Adams Fasolo Sinclair Young Seedsman

I've let you do all the hard work and just changed a few things around the periphery. Keeffe and Young unlucky to miss but can't play them all.

Last edited by jackcass on Thu May 08, 2014 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Museman 

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:45 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
Bruest, Gunstan and Rioli have torched us recently. If Langdon holds form he would take Bruest, Marley goes to Rioli and Tooves takes Gunstan.

Sorta with ya, not sure Langdon has the pace to go with Bruest, though he does have the smarts so you would give him first crack.

Roar,

Gunstan is a mainly lead and mark forward, he's also a positioner, but a towering overhead mark he is not.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:08 pm

Assuming we don't have all of Brown, Keeffe and Frost in the side then I'd go with Langdon on Gunstan, Toovey on Breust and Williams on Rioli.

If all 3 kp size defenders were in the side then I'd go with Brown on Roughead, Keeffe on Hale and Frost on Gunstan assuming of course the hawks don't play another tall key forward/ruck.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:37 pm

I'd like to see these sides in terms of match ups, rather than just our side. That's going to be the thing that decides the team & makes the difference. It has to be a 'Horses for Courses' game for us, and psychology will play a huge part. Last time we played them we kicked ourselves out of contention. We tend to stay with them until half time, sometimes three quarter, then let ourselves down with poor decision making and kicking.
For Hawthorn we'd want the most experience we can put on the park, as well as big bodies, fearlessness & speed.

Question no 1 must be who does Caff take? Shame we don't have 3 of him to lock down on Rioli, Hodge & Mitch.
Nullifying their forwards is our next main problem, Breust, Gunston, and Ruffy seem to be killing all comers at the moment. If god really does wear Black & White there might be a minor injury or six and a couple of suspensions the week before at Hawkland.
Maybe Swanny could have a word with a good mate of his who plays for Carlton and see if he can't start a fight or seven in round 13? Perhaps deliver a nice corky to a couple of their runners? THAT would help!
As it is the Blooz will be facing the Hawks after being wiped off the park by Geelong in Rd 12, so if a few journos name names, and call them weak...
Those kinda things really do change games, y'know.

The other aspect beyond our control is the umpiring. Last time we played Hawthorn the white maggots bent us over the desk and dry fist f$%^d us big time. If someone at Collingwood had the agates to do a blood vessel in the press about our treatment from the mongrels in Rd.12 against Footers-cray it might see them back off us a bit (losing the frees after keeping a side goalless for a whole half last week is a JOKE!, it was, once again, the ONLY stat we didn't win!)

My first picks would be Langdon Caff, & Marley. One has never played the hawks and so isn't scared of them. The next goes without saying, and the third is utterly fearless. Next would be Bally who tends to do well against them, as has Clokey recently. I'm afraid Wittsy is too slow to face the Hawks, unless we played him as one of 3 tall forwards to half time then replaced him with a runner like Seedy or Sinks. We'd probably want Reid in the backs, though speed will be a concern. Our best-in-the-business mids would need to be firing, hopefully Swanny, Pendles, Beamer and Sidey can put up ten sausages between them, while Reid, White and Cloke manage 6 all up & Elliot dobs 4. The 15-20 points we kick plus an odd goal from a Caff, Goldy, Hurt-ya, or Blair would get us up to the 120 odd we'll need. If our getting-stronger-by-the-week Backline can just apply the brakes for a bit, that would see us home.

A big feature of our last couple has been an amazing ability to keep sides goalless for whole quarters, So far we've kept sides to a single goal or less 10 times out of 28 quarters, 4 of those without a goal, if they can manage even 1 of those against the Hawks (preferably the last), we might even kick their arses, providing we've found a fix for the ball-crushing, soul-destroying last quarter fadeouts!

A helluva lot of things are going to happen between now & Round 14, including myself showing the bat to the crowd as I become officially old Sad. Lets just hope some of those things involve a continued winning streak like the ones we managed in 2010, 2011, & 2012, a form slump from Hawthorn (and Geelong & Port), and some well placed injuries (but only minor, soft tissue stuff, I really don't enjoy seeing players hurt, even Geelong players)

Since the nightmare of round 1 our performances have been far better than anyone could have hoped, even our loss to Geelong could have gone either way - especially if we kicked straight. If we had we would be equal first, (though our woeful last quarters mean we'd probably still be third on percentage) and we definitely had a worse draw than the sides around us.
Personally I expected we'd be 3-4 at the bye, so 5-2 is amazing, and the games I thought would be tough (Tiges, North, Anzac, & Carlton) turned out to be relative doddles, over by ¾ time, but they've been nothing if not quirky, slow starts, great middles, woeful ends. If we could use the relatively easier games ahead to put four of our best quarters together once or twice, who knows, by round 14 Hawthorn might be $hitting themselves!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Stupied 

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:20 pm

TLDR.

You don't need to write a novel for a simple 'what team would you pick' thread...
DT 

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:37 am

Fatui Attata wrote:
Based on HS Hawks best 22

B: Ben Stratton, Brian Lake 31, Shaun Burgoyne

HB: Matthew Suckling, Josh Gibson , Grant Birchall

C: Isaac Smith , Sam Mitchell , Brandon Hill

HF: Luke Breust , Jarryd Roughead , Cyril Rioli

F: Paul Puopolo , Jack Gunston , David Hale

FOLL: Ben McEvoy , Jordan Lewis , Luke Hodge

I/C: Liam Shiels , Brendan Whitecross , Ryan Schoenmakers , Brad Sewell

My Pies side to line up (tit for tat as selected) would be...

B; Williams, Maxwell, Keefe
HB; Toovey, Frost, Sinclair
C; Lumumba Macaffer Sidebottom
HF; Swan, Reid, Goldsack
F; White, Cloke, Elliott
R; Grundy, Pendlebury, Ball

Int: Blair, N. Brown, Langdon, Fasolo (sub)

Emerg; Young, Thomas, Witts, Freeman

I can't go past Sinkers for Rioli
Goldi to shut down Birchall
Caff to negate Mitchell
Burgoyne & Gibson having their respective hands full with Elliott & Reid
Not to mention Ball going head to head with Hodge and Pendles running riot on that mongrel Lewis.
Nathan Brown on Roughie, Maxy getting Gunston, Marley taking out Poo-o- polo and Toooooves wearing Bruest like a glove.
Lumumba on Smith and Sidey outsmarting Hill
White causing Stratton stress, Keefe wearing Hale like a glove and Grundy just smashing McEvoy all over the park.

We can beat em one on one, but mostly as a manic unit!!

Maxwell would be towelled up by Gunston who is the most lethal forward in the game. Maxy is a great third man or spare but not a good one on one player. Toovey has the height and pace to go with Gunston but may not have enough strength. I would even consider Frost but Roughhead is probably his match up with Keeffe taking Hale.

Sinkers is no good for Rioli who would outsmart and out body him. Could go with Marley (good match up) or perhaps Toovey if someone else took Gunston.

I think that leaves Langdon on Breust and I have a lot of confidence he can do the job and leave Lumumba to run off half back.

Hawks have such potency I'm attack along with guys like Suckling et al who are great kicks.

DT 

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:38 am

Fatui Attata wrote:

HF; Swan, Reid, Goldsack
F; White, Cloke, Elliott

Caff to negate Mitchell
Not to mention Ball going head to head with Hodge and Pendles running riot on that mongrel Lewis.
Nathan Brown on Roughie, Maxy getting Gunston, Marley taking out Poo-o- polo and Toooooves wearing Bruest like a glove.
White causing Stratton stress, Keefe wearing Hale like a glove and Grundy just smashing McEvoy all over the park.

Maxwell would be towelled up by Gunston who is the most lethal forward in the game. Maxy is a great third man or spare but not a good one on one player. Toovey has the height and pace to go with Gunston but may not have enough strength. I would even consider Frost but Roughhead is probably his match up with Keeffe taking Hale.

Sinkers is no good for Rioli who would outsmart and out body him. Could go with Marley (good match up) or perhaps Toovey if someone else took Gunston.

I think that leaves Langdon on Breust and I have a lot of confidence he can do the job and leave Lumumba to run off half back.

Hawks have such potency in attack along with guys like Suckling et al who are great kicks.

mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:02 am

I think Langdon was given a dress rehearsal on Friday night of playing a Maxwell role. Might struggle to see both in the same side from here on in?

We are still a big injury or two away from dangerous times. Our ACLs last year were for a forward, a tagger and a back. As long as we can keep Swan, Pendles, Beams, Ball, Sidey, Grundy and Macaffer (tagging) fit we will do some damage.

Maybe we should start thinking the other way.. Who are we going to lose / delist? Im thinking Hudson, Yagmoor, Marty Clarke. Maxwell might retire and we might trade away a few players.

----------
------------
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:06 am

Fatui Attata wrote:

HF; Swan, Reid, Goldsack
F; White, Cloke, Elliott

Caff to negate Mitchell

You left out one of our top 5 players!!!Embarassed Beams to go in for Brown! Dwyre is a must! but who do we leave out? I'll leave that to the match committee.
But I like your thinking, apologizing to many players that could easily be in like Thomas, Adams, Brown, Seeds, Young, Witts. Having a crack at the Hawks is on the agenda!!!
I reckon where the Cats seem to get them is having an ideal match up! The Cats have the best defence in the business but suffer the scoring power from the midfield eg Port, Us, Tigers! The Hawks score heavily from great delivery to accurate kicking lead up forwards! That's were we need to shut them down! With Marley and Tooves we should be able to curb Rioli and Bruest, Buddy is no longer there (thanks Sydney) but we don't have a Taylor or Enright to look after Roughead! Hopefully Frosty keeps it up! We must be asking Brodie a lot but for this game it is a must, White should give him a chop out! We need to break even with the Hawks fire power and I feel we can match them everywhere else. Still a lot of water to go under the bridge before Bucks and the Match committee pick the side!
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:56 am

Stupied wrote:
TLDR.

You don't need to write a novel for a simple 'what team would you pick' thread...

And you don't need to read it mate. Where's the problem?
I chose to analyse the thing more deeply than just picking a side, as it will take way more than that to knock the Hawks over on current and recent form. I do seem to be somewhat at a loss when it comes to brevity, and I could no doubt condense those those thoughts greatly, but THAT would take far too long.
However I promise to try being more concise in future, and I will now outline my arguments for doing so...

...not really. I need a Bex and a lie down.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: