Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hypothetical - round 14 team?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

AN_Inkling wrote:
Almost impossible to say with confidence, which is great. We had possibly only one first choice defender playing on Friday and still looked good down back. So do all of those out automatically deserve to be in?

But assuming all fit and firing, and disregarding Scharenberg and Freeman for the moment, I'd go with:

B: Toovey Brown Williams
HB: Langdon Frost Seedsman
C: Young Pendlebury Lumumba
HF: Elliott Reid Fasolo
F: White Cloke Goldsack
R: Grundy Beams Swan
I: Sidebottom, Ball, Sinclair
Sub: Blair

This is a very safe lineup, and is how I see it when projecting current form forward (and previous form for those currently injured). I'd actually hope that it changes in the interim with some younger players demanding selection and Adams finding his feet as a Collingwood player.

And I did have Blair in until I realised that there was no Beams Very Happy. Made him the sub even though we should have a more impactful player in that position.

THAT"S not a bad side.But "HEY" how good are we when we've got the full list to choose from?
mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:11 pm

I sort of CAN'T believe some people are actually leaving out a PREMIERSHIP full back ??? Serious??
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:25 pm

^^Yeah, Brown has to play for mine. And yes, there were two oversights in my team: Maxy and Caff.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:01 pm

roar wrote:
David wrote:
Perhaps it'd be easier to name the absolute certainties first. These are the players who are named every week if fit and available.

Defenders:

Toovey
Frost
Maxwell
Lumumba
Williams
Brown

Brown has been fit and available for the last two weeks but hasn't been picked so I would say you need to think again.

He's only just returned from injury, and I can only presume that there are still question marks over his fitness—would we really have gone into Friday night's game with such an inexperienced defence with an 100% Brown languishing in the VFL? It's quite customary for injured players to play a few games in the seconds before returning, so I expect that's what's happening here.

I do admit that it's possible that Keeffe has overtaken him. But Brown is still our no.1 nominal key position defender, and with his experience I think he's still an automatic selection when available and in form.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:07 pm

David wrote:
roar wrote:
David wrote:
Perhaps it'd be easier to name the absolute certainties first. These are the players who are named every week if fit and available.

Defenders:

Toovey
Frost
Maxwell
Lumumba
Williams
Brown

Brown has been fit and available for the last two weeks but hasn't been picked so I would say you need to think again.

He's only just returned from injury, and I can only presume that there are still question marks over his fitness—would we really have gone into Friday night's game with such an inexperienced defence with an 100% Brown languishing in the VFL? It's quite customary for injured players to play a few games in the seconds before returning, so I expect that's what's happening here.

I do admit that it's possible that Keeffe has overtaken him. But Brown is still our no.1 nominal key position defender, and with his experience I think he's still an automatic selection when available and in form.

No disrespect to Keefe, but I'd say Brown is way ahead of him in experience and contribution when fit. Brown is a much-underrated player, imo, who provides overhead marking capability and some run from full-back. Keefe has been solid but undistinguished, as far as I can see.

Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:08 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Good thread ! If we had the luxury of all fit players, it's a nightmare.

I got to the following, though I'd like to see Sinkers in the back half for pace:

B: Williams. Brown Frost
HB: Sidebottom Maxwell. Toovey
C Young Swan Lumumba
HF: Ball. Reid Goldsack
FF. Elliott. Cloke. White

R : Witts Pendlebury Beams
Int : Langdon. Macaffer. Grundy Fasolo (sub)

EMG : Freeman. Broomhead Adams Sinclair

No Blair?! What is it that some are missing about this bloke, he's been as important as the Sack!

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:20 pm

jackcass wrote:
Much prefer better coverage of Roughie, Hale and Gunston... but that's just me...

roughead's mobility concerns me. having said that brown - even though i did not have in him my team - essentially ran with one of willy's players yesterday and covered a lot of territory.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:48 pm

John Wren wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Much prefer better coverage of Roughie, Hale and Gunston... but that's just me...

roughead's mobility concerns me. having said that brown - even though i did not have in him my team - essentially ran with one of willy's players yesterday and covered a lot of territory.

lol... you'll come around to my way of thinking

A lot of teams don't pay Hale enough respect, like Keeffe to play on him, Brown to Roughie, Frost to Gunston
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:38 pm

B:Toovey, Brown, Langdon

HB:Williams, Frost, Young

C:Lumumba, Macaffer, Sidebottom

HF:Goldsack, Reid, Swan

F:Elliott, Cloke, White

Foll:Grundy, Pendlebury, Beams

Int:Fasolo, Ball, Keeffe

Sub:Dwyer

Emg: Maxwell, Blair, Thomas

Maxwell wasn't in my best side at the start of the season and while his form has been good so far this year I still think the best sides like Hawthorn wont allow him to play the game on his terms and will look to play through his man.

I like the insurance of having all of Brown, Frost and Keeffe in the side.

roar 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:09 am

David wrote:
roar wrote:
David wrote:

Defenders:

Toovey
Frost
Maxwell
Lumumba
Williams
Brown

He's only just returned from injury, and I can only presume that there are still question marks over his fitness—would we really have gone into Friday night's game with such an inexperienced defence with an 100% Brown languishing in the VFL? .

His injury was a minor one (missed 1 week) so fitness isn't an issue. IMO, he has been left out because Frost's form has been better, so yes, we would (and actually did!) choose to go into friday night's game with a 100% languishing in the VFL.

You may see him as our No.1 big man in the back half but Bucks doesn't seem to agree, and that's why Frost has his spot for the moment.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:56 am

Podpicken wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Good thread ! If we had the luxury of all fit players, it's a nightmare.

I got to the following, though I'd like to see Sinkers in the back half for pace:

B: Williams. Brown Frost
HB: Sidebottom Maxwell. Toovey
C Young Swan Lumumba
HF: Ball. Reid Goldsack
FF. Elliott. Cloke. White

R : Witts Pendlebury Beams
Int : Langdon. Macaffer. Grundy Fasolo (sub)

EMG : Freeman. Broomhead Adams Sinclair

No Blair?! What is it that some are missing about this bloke, he's been as important as the Sack!

I thought it was too easy ! Embarassed I overlooked the Tasmanian devil (even if he is not Tasmanian, he plays like the Looney tunes character) ... He should certainly be in the EMGs of the above side, but it's damn hard to see who he'd displace, unless you go with one ruck. I love Blair's desire, courage and hardness, and I'm a great supporter.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:45 pm

Bruest, Gunstan and Rioli have torched us recently. If Langdon holds form he would take Bruest, Marley goes to Rioli and Tooves takes Gunstan.
roar 

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Bit worried Tooves doesn't play tall enough to cover Gunston. Reckon Frost would be a good match up for him. Williams or Toovey for Cyril, and either of those two or Langdon for Breust.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:32 pm

roar wrote:
David wrote:
roar wrote:
David wrote:

Defenders:

Toovey
Frost
Maxwell
Lumumba
Williams
Brown

He's only just returned from injury, and I can only presume that there are still question marks over his fitness—would we really have gone into Friday night's game with such an inexperienced defence with an 100% Brown languishing in the VFL? .

His injury was a minor one (missed 1 week) so fitness isn't an issue. IMO, he has been left out because Frost's form has been better, so yes, we would (and actually did!) choose to go into friday night's game with a 100% languishing in the VFL.

You may see him as our No.1 big man in the back half but Bucks doesn't seem to agree, and that's why Frost has his spot for the moment.

That's quite subjective. I'd prefer to say that both Frost and Keeffe have been doing all that's been required of them at senior level which makes them hard to demote. Might remain that way until either their form drops off or we meet an opposition with 3 big forwards to contain. The 2 best performed retaining their places should 1 have to go back.

There is also some level of doubt about how well Brown's shoulder will hold up. A few games at VFL level should confirm to selectors whether he's worth a risk at senior level.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:33 pm

I can't decide. You choose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: