Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So, what's changed? Why are we on the up again?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Its quite simple:
On the up = We string some wins together
On the slide = We lose a game
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:07 pm

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:
Its quite simple:

You really think there is nothing different besides how supporters look at it?

You don't notice we aren't leaking goals from kick outs anymore?
The much more contested game - man on man instead of the zone?
Sorry but it has definitely changed & changed for the better.
We still may not be able to beat the Hawks this year but I'll bet we give them a much closer run given we aren't going to zone off them next time. Pressure is on the ball carrier again. Very Happy
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Tannin wrote:
One factor which has not been mentioned in the thread so far is the changeover in fitness coaches. According to Josh Thomas, the new fitness regime involves a heavy emphasis on running, running and more running. I don't reckon the game plan has changed all that much, it's simply that our players are now fit enough to implement it properly. They have the tank to get back and pressure when the opposition has the ball. It's a small difference but crucial.

I'm not too sure that is fitness coach specific. I think most teams have increased to running aspect of preseason training in anticipation of the interchange rotations cap.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:29 pm

You may well be right, Jackass. I'm only going on what JT said in the interview, plus further comments by (sorry, I forget his name) the expert comments man and recent past player who had been part of the new Collingwood fitness guy's regime at his previous club. (A VFL side, as I recall.) Apparently, he is well-known, borderline notorious, as a running fanatic.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:13 pm

Talking about Bill Davoren?

Are the fourth quarter fade-outs fitness, youth, concentration? See the reserves on the weekend too.

Also not ovewhelmed about our injury list, which at times has been troublesome and as long as any club in the league.

Even last week's run-on team had 4 changes due to injuries and Q-stick and Gault lost from the reserves for extended periods.

Still, the cattle seems better, the game plan more effective and we're winning most importantly.

There are also fewer long-term injuries than at this stage of the past 2 years (fasolo/toovey/beams & ball/macaffer/krakouer)

I suspect the most important part of the fitness regime may well be just the change of scene, with no altitude preseason and a change of message to freshen up mentally.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:34 pm

woftam wrote:
Its quite simple:

We still may not be able to beat the Hawks this year but I'll bet we give them a much closer run given we aren't going to zone off them next time. Pressure is on the ball carrier again. Very Happy

To be fair, we have given ourselves a lot of practice at defending kickouts.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Geek wrote:
woftam wrote:
Its quite simple:

To be fair, we have given ourselves a lot of practice at defending kickouts.

Well yes, but some thing are just not meant to be changed. Very Happy
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:26 pm

I think it's a combination of players getting used to the plan but I think fitness plays a big part in implementing these plans.

If you look at games against Essendon and Carlton and they way we have set up and pressure on the ball compared to the Freo game it's not even on the same Planet.

Maybe we haven't been able to implement it in the past couple of years because of fitness as it is taxing to play this sort of style of football. It may also explain some last quarter fade outs against Richmond and Carlton when games were won, having said that it could have been the case on Anzac Day after coming from 6 goals down and applying the forced pressure on the ball for 2 quarters you would have thought we would have used a fair few petrol tickets and might have expected a fade out but with the game in the balance the boys dug deep and found that next level to sustain it, maybe when your 10 goals up you relax a bit.

I think Burgess has made a world of difference to Port Adelaide based on his fitness regime. I think it was Tom Harley who mentioned Matt White was in the top 2 in most fitness categories at Richmond but now at Port he is not in the top 8 in any.

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
I think it's a combination of players getting used to the plan but I think fitness plays a big part in implementing these plans.

If you look at games against Essendon and Carlton and they way we have set up and pressure on the ball compared to the Freo game it's not even on the same Planet.

Maybe we haven't been able to implement it in the past couple of years because of fitness as it is taxing to play this sort of style of football. It may also explain some last quarter fade outs against Richmond and Carlton when games were won, having said that it could have been the case on Anzac Day after coming from 6 goals down and applying the forced pressure on the ball for 2 quarters you would have thought we would have used a fair few petrol tickets and might have expected a fade out but with the game in the balance the boys dug deep and found that next level to sustain it, maybe when your 10 goals up you relax a bit.

I think Burgess has made a world of difference to Port Adelaide based on his fitness regime. I think it was Tom Harley who mentioned Matt White was in the top 2 in most fitness categories at Richmond but now at Port he is not in the top 8 in any.

I think your on the money here Johnno75! one on one it is a very taxing game strategy, but one we have seen suits our game plan and the type of players we have. It's exciting to watch (love one on one scenarios) and combine it with the explosive run we get out of contested situations when we win the ball. Both the Dons and the scum came to play but they both didn't have an answer for it while we sustained the pressure.
Managing this strategy is going to be an art. I fear we may go overboard and burn out before the right end of the season but I am no expert. Hope Bucks rests players and manages them well. We have good depth so lets use it!
Just a note I hope when the ball is not going to White or he isn't taking the grabs, Bucks runs him through the center for about 10 minutes ala Leigh Brown in 2009-2010. Could bring some physicality we need and will help him get the touch of the pill.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Cleaned out a lot of the uncommitted last year and the players have committed and are buying in this year. Also have a good core of young players that have been getting games into them and experience at the top level, its given us good depth so that when senior players are injured their replacements don't let us down. Getting the new game plan together where we move the ball more quickly into the forward fifty and have more run and carry.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:56 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
Talking about Bill Davoren?

Are the fourth quarter fade-outs fitness, youth, concentration? See the reserves on the weekend too.

Also not ovewhelmed about our injury list, which at times has been troublesome and as long as any club in the league.

Even last week's run-on team had 4 changes due to injuries and Q-stick and Gault lost from the reserves for extended periods.

Still, the cattle seems better, the game plan more effective and we're winning most importantly.

There are also fewer long-term injuries than at this stage of the past 2 years (fasolo/toovey/beams & ball/macaffer/krakouer)

I suspect the most important part of the fitness regime may well be just the change of scene, with no altitude preseason and a change of message to freshen up mentally.

Other than Freeman and Sinclair I don't recall many other Hamstrings or Groin / Quad issues this year.
Plenty of Breaks that you cant put down to Fitness.

The 4 changes last week - Fas = Toe, Young = cork ( or other impact injury), Maxwell = Back all had nothing to do with fitness - too much or not enough work.
Tooves I think was tight and I guess you'd expect a few niggles from him given his lack of footy.
Reids calf is a worry and the set-back could talk of miss management yet White missed the first game with a calf injury and played every game since.

I read an article where the world sport medicos met and the afl as an industry had players returning from Hammys and muscle strains far quicker than any other code in the world. The understanding was that players should miss more time than they do with injuries like Hamstrings.
I wouldn't be surprised if Collingwood are deliberately taking a conservative approach - more so than what they have done in the past.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Got rid of the smartarses and toxic clowns and the playing group now seem like they want to go in hard and impress their peers and coach. Buckley's gameplan has been bought into and we're not chip,chip,chipping around the boundary on instinct anymore. The press is now a fullcourt, not a halfcourt press. The energy and enthusiasm of the kids is infectious.

That's just off the top of my head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: