Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dayne Beams - the silent assassin?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

ronrat wrote:
The bloke after Beams is pretty handy as well. Dan Hanneberry.

Though isn’t he a Party Monster?

rand corp 

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Have always liked him as a player and think he is now one of the elite players in the competition
MJ23 

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:11 pm

I know pure stats are not everything, but on those numbers wow.

Voss made a great observation on him.
Most Mids get a "one two" handball out the back of a contest. That is they might get a clearance or pick the ball up in traffic and shoot a quick handball out then run to space and receive it back.They are the creative types that the team wants the ball in their hands so they pick up the additional stat. Swanny does it at times so does Pendles. Jud, Murphy do it and Ablett is an absolute master at it.

Beams though wins the footy and clears it to a team mates advantage. OR he wins the footy just on the outside and takes off on his "arc" that he runs at times and kicks the ball long or to a target.

When Beams gets 30+ touches in a game they are legitimate touches and are most often damaging.

With Swan and Pendles he absolutely fly's under the radar. Footy followers know he is good however I don't think until this article it has been pointed out exactly how good he is

Just as an aside, you hear these things about Beams whether it be in this Forum, the press or from the club and you get the profile of a young man with fantastic work ethic, loyalty and character.
Now I loved Daisy before he left however even at his best and most popular I cant recall anything said or written about Daisy and these character traits.
When it comes to deciding on who gets $700 k or even $400 k if that was offered for me from the clubs point of view the decisions become relatively easy !

uncanny 

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Good to read about Beamer's background thanks Qldmagpie67.

I got the impression when the pies drafted him that other clubs were scared off by the tatts and unconventional football pedigree, being from Qld.
Another feather in the cap for our recruiting team that they looked beyond this to see a footballer with a great game sense and capacity to continue to improve. Beamer has future captain written all over him. Just gets the job done with a minimum of fuss and continues to lead by example.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:01 pm

Beams, the silent assassin?

I've never sat next to him so I wouldn't know.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:28 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Check it out here:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2008&t=N&s=P

Gee looking at that draft, both Beams and Sidey would easily be top 10 if not top 5 from that draft.

We'll done to Hine and the development coaches.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:17 pm

3rd degree wrote:
Great article, thanks for the insights qldmagpie , my old man is from Yarrawonga and rated Beamsy's old man highly!

3rd degree your dads a good judge from what I've heard. Below is part of article from after 2010 premiership.

Born in Yarrawonga, Beams moved to Queensland when he was five. His parents divorced soon after they arrived in Southport.

Beams lived with his mum until he was 12, and then with his dad until he was drafted by the Magpies in 2008.

Dad Philip played local footy around Yarrawonga, and then for Southport.

"I only saw him play towards the end of his career" Beams said.

"I can remember I saw him when I was about 10. I didn't see him in his prime, but they tell me he could play footy.
"His old team mates and guys he played against told me when I visited my grand parents early last year he had it all and was as hard as any man they had seen.
"He was more a genuine midfielder and he didn't kick as many goals as I have which I like to remind him of.
"He in turns reminds me he played in several senior premierships and I have only 2 thus far.

"He was more of a one-paced player and in those days you didn't have the interchange rules, so he just ran around with the one pace and picked up touches at will.

"We're all pretty close, but obviously there are times when you do wish they were here. They could come round for dinner, cook up a feed or something.

"But Mum gets down a fair bit, but Dad can't with his work."

We should all pass the hat around and reimburse his father for the bots he would have worn out in the hours he spent kicking with Dayne in the back yard.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:13 pm

Nice stuff mate.

just for those playing at home, yarrawonnga is in the Ovens and Murray league which is a very strong league. they've won a couple of premierships with Fevola in the last couple of years but for a small town to compete in that league for a long time is a big effort.

I grew up in Tocumwal. Went to the drive in at Yarra a couple of times. A mate of mine played for wang rovers for a year and came up against a bloke on the wing who had left the VFL club Hawthorn the year before. I remember him telling me how this bloke called Garry Ablett could play the game.

There's been lots of blokes up in the Ovens and Murray and the Murray League who were more than capable of having an impact at VFL level, but back in the day the financial incentive was no where near what it is today. If beamsies old man did well in that league, he could play.

TheJonesBoy 

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:16 pm

Still genuinly believe if he had been fit and firing at the back end of 2011 we win the flag.
Wasnt to be, but moving forward, in our Top 3 most important players for mine with Cloke and Reid.
Just know when he's "on", not only does he rack up touches, but hits opposition sides where it hurts. Scoreboard.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:37 pm

Not a bad article. Getting worried about how many positive Collingwood articles we've seen in the last couple of weeks Shocked. It's a very simplistic analysis though and comes in a season where, so far, Beams has not hit top form. Starting to kick more goals now, but I'd think his disposals have generally been down and disposal efficiency ordinary in some games.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:52 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Not a bad article. Getting worried about how many positive Collingwood articles we've seen in the last couple of weeks Shocked. It's a very simplistic analysis though and comes in a season where, so far, Beams has not hit top form. Starting to kick more goals now, but I'd think his disposals have generally been down and disposal efficiency ordinary in some games.

Gee, you're a tough marker! Hasn't hit top form? Maybe not as spectatcular as he has been, but I rate his season as excellent so far. I've scored him 5 votes on three occasions and in my yearly tally Beamsy sits on 22 votes from Pendles on 18 and Sidey, Frost and Elliott a fair way back. He can get better for sure and I agree that his disposal hasn't been elite but it's early days.

Just for the record, here's the Disposal Effectiveness Ladder

1.Keeffe 87%
3.Faz 79.7%
4.Dwyer 78.9%
6.Frost 77.3%
7.Maxy 77%
12.Young 72.4%
13.Langdon 72.3%
14.Pendles 70.9%
15.Sidey 70.1%
16.Elliott 69.5%
21.Beams 62.4%
23.Swan 60.8%

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:01 am

I think the most I've given him in a game this year is a 4. Not saying he's had a bad season, just not in top form yet. Getting closer though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: