Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So, what's changed? Why are we on the up again?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

One factor which has not been mentioned in the thread so far is the changeover in fitness coaches. According to Josh Thomas, the new fitness regime involves a heavy emphasis on running, running and more running. I don't reckon the game plan has changed all that much, it's simply that our players are now fit enough to implement it properly. They have the tank to get back and pressure when the opposition has the ball. It's a small difference but crucial.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:58 pm

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though guys, 2 of our 3 games this year against last years top 4 haven't ended well, and IMO we're still a mile of of the Hawks, for what ever reason our game plan just isn't suited against them.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:41 am

Gelling.....Bonding....Belief
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:56 am

The next step in our evolution is scoring, for our dominance we simply don't score enough, if we're to match it with the Hawks we'll need to work on that.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:53 am

Defender wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:
Bucks has made some tough calls which are starting to pay off. The danger was that he would be reluctant to off load "Premiership" heroes but thankfully he did not repeat what happened after the 1990 Flag where we hung onto players well past their "use by" date. His wise moves are nnow starting to pay off. We now have a bright future ahead off us.

I've heard a lot of people say this about the 1990 squad, but who specifically hung on too long? My recollection is that we were pretty unlucky 91-94, and offloaded a lot of the older players 95 onwards

There was one year we would have won the flag, we ended up bowing out in Perth by less than a kick (McGuane dropped a chest mark 40mtrs out in the dying seconds), IMO if we won that game we would've won the flag.

The biggest clean out during that period was due to the Buckley trade.

We were good in 1990, but let's not kid ourselves, if it wasn't for Daicos we wouldn't have won that flag, honourable mention to Graham Wright as well, who is IMO the most underrated player of the modern era.

That was 1994, and I doubt we would of made it through another week let alone win the flag; 1992 was a potential flag year though

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:55 am

Redlight wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:
Bucks has made some tough calls which are starting to pay off. The danger was that he would be reluctant to off load "Premiership" heroes but thankfully he did not repeat what happened after the 1990 Flag where we hung onto players well past their "use by" date. His wise moves are nnow starting to pay off. We now have a bright future ahead off us.

I've heard a lot of people say this about the 1990 squad, but who specifically hung on too long? My recollection is that we were pretty unlucky 91-94, and offloaded a lot of the older players 95 onwards

The thing is you need to move some players on before it becomes clear they've hung on too long.

Trading players like Wellingham, Heater, Dawes, Thomas etc has enabled us to keep quality kids coming in despite a consistently high ladder position.

After 1990 we stuck with the players who had brought home that long dreamt of flag, but we rode that list until retirements drove us off a cliff and we became very ordinary as a result.

However in those days that was what was done. You topped up as long as you could, then you went down the ladder and rebuilt.

Now Geelong, the Hawks and us are showing that you can regenerate on the run and stay in contention.

Yeah, that sounds about right

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:10 am

Injuries hurt us last year the experience the kids got has helped them this year.

This looks a lot like 2010 kids coming through and a few veterans may go.
Ball is starting to look slow hopefully it is just a minor niggle.
Elliot becoming more than potential and the addition of White has meant a functioning forward line that has spread the oppositions defense. No longer is Cloke being played three on one. With both Witts and Grundy helping out up forward our attack is in a nice place.

Remember that by finals time a number of players will no longer have single digit numbers of games.

Hurricane 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:52 am

I put it down to a better run of injuries.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:56 am

Why? .
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:31 pm

ITS all due to Bucks and his foresight, too offload some bad culture players, draw lines in the sand, and make very hard calls. This is HIS team now, playing his way, bears no resemblance to the old mans. He copped some real shit on here from the usual suspects, but he will make them eat their words with this very young team.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
DT 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:13 pm

Defender wrote:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves though guys, 2 of our 3 games this year against last years top 4 haven't ended well, and IMO we're still a mile of of the Hawks, for what ever reason our game plan just isn't suited against them.

True but I saw some signs last year that the pattern of dominance is loosening. It will be very interesting to see how we go against the Hawks this year. I suspect our current game plan will hold up ok. Hawks have a thrashed us in contested ball and then sliced us up with great spread and accurate ball use. If you notice this year we are not so reliant on star factor but are getting an even contribution. Also, the backline doesn't leak like a sieve like it has since late 2011. The defenders are playing well as are the mids.

The game against Port will also demonstrate how far we have come as Hinkley out coached us twice last year.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:18 pm

woftam wrote:
To be honest I don't care if Fred Flintstone coaches us. As long as we contest hard. For 2 years all I saw was zoning & when we didn't have the footy & we got smashed because of it. The game plan has definitely changed now.

Coast to coast goals by opposition = GONE.
Massive number of opposition uncontested marks = GONE

Defenders are now defending instead of pushing up so far that they can't get back when the turnover happened.

The opposition 9 times out of 10 have to kick to a contest.

Our tackling pressure has also returned.

Exactly right! Playing the pies is a tough game again - every ball hard earned is the kind of pressure and game-plan that puts the Pies in the mix for September and is the style of play that often performs well at the business end of the season also!

MattyD 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:53 pm

Defender wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Why are we playing better? The inevitable adjustment period to a new coach is over. It was tougher than it needed to be, largely because of the problems caused by the handover and we had to lose some skin along the way, but it's over.

Sure, there's been changes to the game plan, but that's always evolving. The real reason we're playing better is that coach and players are on the same page. You can tell a side is well drilled when it plays well even through injuries. We struggled to do that the past two years, putting in some very sloppy performances, but this year, so far, has seen a marked improvement.

Last nights performance (for 3 qtrs) was clinical, the signs are very good ATM.

That's unusually positive comment, Defender. I thought you were a troll
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:38 pm

Bucks is class and class will out.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:34 pm

woftam wrote:
To be honest I don't care if Fred Flintstone coaches us. As long as we contest hard. For 2 years all I saw was zoning & when we didn't have the footy & we got smashed because of it. The game plan has definitely changed now.

Coast to coast goals by opposition = GONE.
Massive number of opposition uncontested marks = GONE

Defenders are now defending instead of pushing up so far that they can't get back when the turnover happened.

The opposition 9 times out of 10 have to kick to a contest.

Our tackling pressure has also returned.

Bolded bit main difference.
And when we win possession, smarter decisions are being made based on what's available to kick/handball to, rather than "get it inboard at any cost".

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: