Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies beat Blues - all comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve86 wrote:
For those of you who are interested...these are stats for players on the field last night... shows how good we are going. Also at a glance hawks team that belted saints today has an average games played of 111 and age of nearly 26.

I was interested in this after the game so can break those games played up a bit more. Of our 11 who haven't played 50 games, 8 haven't even played 25 games (filth had 6). We also had 9 or 10 players under 24 playing on Friday night.

Exciting times people!!

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:22 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
The last quarter was slightly disappointing, but in a funny way good as well. It was a relatively stress-free learning experience.

The remarkable thing about this game - really remarkable - was that the best players were almost all lesser-lights. Blair was wonderful, Dwyer excellent, Langdon a revelation, Elliott officially a gun. Pendlebury, Beams, Swan and Cloke all played a strong part, but none were game-breakers. Heritier was fairly quiet, Sidey very (was he tagged?), and White below his best of recent weeks.

Elliott has officially become a differentiating player. Three strong and creative goals, a reliable set shot ; the kid has it all. An amazing prospect.

If I had one real reservation it was our continued inability to convert forward opportunities. Had we kicked straight, we'd have been 90 points up at 3Qtr time - and we simply need to convert more chances given the level of supply that was provided to our forwards.

A special mention for Sammy Dwyer - I had forgotten how good he is. He gets his own ball, runs incredibly hard, and keeps his eyes and the ball low as he inserts it inside 50. I hope his injury is no issue.

Taylor Adams wil be fine, I hope - but he was disapponting today. We need to give him time and let him get the measure of the game.

Lastly, I have never seen a Collingwood side with the depth of this one. Three outs on last week's backline, and we didn't miss a beat - though I think we missed Goldy up forward.

In all, a regulation win with one lax quarter against a struggling side - but we turn for the bye in very good shape and with a lot of upside. I'm happy.

Agree with almost all of this, but the Adams assessment is a trifle harsh. He was thrown down back and asked to be a backman having never played there. All things considered, I think he did ok and he will only get better.

Yeah, I had another look last night Mugwump; saw Adams get the ball in the open on 5 occasions. He kicked it nowhere 4 times and straight to Carlton with the other. He will get better though Very Happy Actually, I watched him a bit last year and he struck me as a good ball user. More game time needed of course and he was thrown to the wolves by Bucks this week. He did ok.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:07 pm

A great feeling strutting past 'flith' fans like i am Brutus Beefcake! Beamsy and Goldsack killed them and King Kong Grundy's sausage roll brought the house down ! Witts and Langdon leading our youth. Blairy looked good must have read Nicks on a ladder!

www.facebook/the hybernators
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:23 pm

I HATE carlton.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:25 pm

I've just seen the game - thx bittorrent

WOW

Where the hell did that come from??

DaveTheMan loves Brodie Grundy and now I understand why. That kid is unreal! I can't believe he's played less than twenty games. He tackles, he chases, he harasses, he does all the top stuff that we did in 2010

And what about that Jamie Elliott? He takes a pretty good grab for a short guy!

This Langdon kid - truth be told I'd never heard of him before watching this game - where did he come from? He's come out of nowhere and he's getting stuck into Daisy "Mini Me" and kicking pinpoint 50m passes and pickpocketing the ball out of the hands of Carlton players. What a beauty!

You know how long it's been since we applied the sort of pressure that we put on Carlton in the first three quarters? A bloody long time! I think it was about the middle of 2011 that we took the foot off the accelerator.

Speaking of Mini Me, did anyone else notice he was nearly in tears as he walked off the ground at the end of the game? Poor bastard. Everyone hates him and he knows it. He's going to learn some life lessons this season.

But the big one for me is this guy

I don't know where this Evil Tyson has come from, but I love it. He tackles like he gets off on it. God I hope he can keep it up. I hope they can all keep it up and physically dominate other teams the way we dominated Carlton. That was the most exciting game I've seen in years, even better than Anzac Day

**** Carlton, and up the Magpies! God this feels good
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:56 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
The last quarter was slightly disappointing, but in a funny way good as well. It was a relatively stress-free learning experience.

The remarkable thing about this game - really remarkable - was that the best players were almost all lesser-lights. Blair was wonderful, Dwyer excellent, Langdon a revelation, Elliott officially a gun. Pendlebury, Beams, Swan and Cloke all played a strong part, but none were game-breakers. Heritier was fairly quiet, Sidey very (was he tagged?), and White below his best of recent weeks.

Elliott has officially become a differentiating player. Three strong and creative goals, a reliable set shot ; the kid has it all. An amazing prospect.

If I had one real reservation it was our continued inability to convert forward opportunities. Had we kicked straight, we'd have been 90 points up at 3Qtr time - and we simply need to convert more chances given the level of supply that was provided to our forwards.

A special mention for Sammy Dwyer - I had forgotten how good he is. He gets his own ball, runs incredibly hard, and keeps his eyes and the ball low as he inserts it inside 50. I hope his injury is no issue.

Taylor Adams wil be fine, I hope - but he was disapponting today. We need to give him time and let him get the measure of the game.

Lastly, I have never seen a Collingwood side with the depth of this one. Three outs on last week's backline, and we didn't miss a beat - though I think we missed Goldy up forward.

In all, a regulation win with one lax quarter against a struggling side - but we turn for the bye in very good shape and with a lot of upside. I'm happy.

Agree with almost all of this, but the Adams assessment is a trifle harsh. He was thrown down back and asked to be a backman having never played there. All things considered, I think he did ok and he will only get better.

Yeah, I had another look last night Mugwump; saw Adams get the ball in the open on 5 occasions. He kicked it nowhere 4 times and straight to Carlton with the other. He will get better though Very Happy Actually, I watched him a bit last year and he struck me as a good ball user. More game time needed of course and he was thrown to the wolves by Bucks this week. He did ok.

Well before the season started, I wrote that Adams must be played in the reserves for a few weeks so that he could get used to Collingwood's game plan and match tactics but as usual those who knew more than me flamed me right away..... Rolling Eyes Remember he is still a very young and inexperienced bloke.
I still stick with that initial suggestion, give Adams time in the reserves to learn our game and gain much needed confidence and it will do both him and Collingwood a world of good.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:00 pm

Lazza wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Well before the season started, I wrote that Adams must be played in the reserves for a few weeks so that he could get used to Collingwood's game plan and match tactics but as usual those who knew more than me flamed me right away..... Rolling Eyes Remember he is still a very young and inexperienced bloke.
I still stick with that initial suggestion, give Adams time in the reserves to learn our game and gain much needed confidence and it will do both him and Collingwood a world of good.

Wow even after a win over the arch enemy your rolling your eyes lazza how about a few shopping aisiles?? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

www.facebook/the hybernators
Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Lazza wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Has nothing to do with the gameplan and everything to do with confidence and playing as sub/out of position. He is an inside mid, pure and simple. The last time he played a full game in the seniors was NAB against Geelong, and he tore it up. Been playing really well in the VFL as an inside mid too. The problem is he has Ball/Thomas/Blair to compete with for the same position.

All things considered, I thought he wasn't bad last weekend considering he was thrown in the deep end playing as a defender for the first time.

Will likely be back in the VFL after the bye, but only because no other inside mids deserve to be dropped, nothing to do with this nonsense about not knowing the gameplan.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:45 pm

[quote="Beast"]
Neil Appleby wrote:
Beast wrote:
Whoever came up with a saying a win is a win probably had this game in mind.
Langdon, Elliott, Beams and The Sack were great, Clokey and Blair improved, the rest were simply going through the motions.
Not as concerned about last 1/4 fadeout as I am about our lack of ruthless streak, especially against the scum that had a far weaker line up on the night than the one that lost to Melbourne....
So yeah, a win is a win.

Neil Appleby wrote:
You reckon Pendles was going through the motions?

Have a bit of coin on him for Charlie but he was nowhere near the votes, his only motion in the second half was putting Daisy on the arse.
Neil Appleby wrote:
I must have been watching some other game.

Nothing new.

Oh dear, some things never change, including your lack of manners, but I think Pendlebury played very well. Not at his very best, but certainly well enough for him to be in our top five. I thought he was our best by a fair margin.

Beast 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:22 pm

Yeah I saw you were the only one to give him 5 votes and lol'd hard.

100 bucks says he won't poll any Brownlow votes for this game.

Put up or shut up.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:26 pm

Stupied wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Has nothing to do with the gameplan and everything to do with confidence and playing as sub/out of position. He is an inside mid, pure and simple. The last time he played a full game in the seniors was NAB against Geelong, and he tore it up. Been playing really well in the VFL as an inside mid too. The problem is he has Ball/Thomas/Blair to compete with for the same position.

All things considered, I thought he wasn't bad last weekend considering he was thrown in the deep end playing as a defender for the first time.

Will likely be back in the VFL after the bye, but only because no other inside mids deserve to be dropped, nothing to do with this nonsense about not knowing the gameplan.

I'm with Stupied on this.
Beast 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Just on Adams, he looks like a one trick pony, which I've been saying from the get go.
Nothing to do with learning our game plan and a lot to do with being a limited player at this stage of his career.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Plenty to like about Adams. Sure he needs to clean up his kicking, but so does Kennedy. Both will be great players for us. Just need to be patient.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Beast wrote:

Put up or shut up.

Coaches votes:

Pendlebury: 8
Beams: 7
Langdon: 7
Elliott: 6
Dwyer: 1

Just sayin' Wink

Beast 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:07 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Beast wrote:

Put up or shut up.

Coaches votes:

Pendlebury: 8
Beams: 7
Langdon: 7
Elliott: 6
Dwyer: 1

Just sayin' Wink

Fair enough but they aren't the one giving out Brownlow votes, just sayin.

The whole debate started when I didn't mention Pendles and plenty of others I might add in our bests and said they were costing for most of the game.
When NA took exception to me not praising Pendles' game I pointed out he was good in the first half but costed in the second, he even finished the game on the bench. That wasn't even a criticism.
But if you're happy to take up the bet I'd be all for it Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9   

Jump to: