Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

legends match at Visy Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
interested observer 

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:19 pm
Post subject: legends match at Visy ParkReply with quote

anyone know what time this game is on tomorrow? Could be a good day with a few Pies legends having a run around.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Starts at 2pm, $10 entry.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Going to the VFL tomorrow
holdencaulfield 

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Hopefully Banks and Rhys- Jones wiull re enact their famous MCG incident with Banksy landing another decent one on the Blue Boy
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Looks pretty good!

Spirit of Carlton Legends Match
http://m.carltonfc.com.au/news/2014-04-22/spirit-of-carlton-legends-match

What: Navy Blues v Pies legends games
Where: Visy Park
When: Sunday 4 May, 2.00pm

Cost: Entry to the match is $10 adults, kids under 15 free.

Carlton versus Collingwood: is there any greater rivalry in Australian sport than that shared by football’s most famous inner city clubs?

It’s a hatred that can be sourced as far back as 1910 – to the days of “Jock” McHale and “Pompey” Elliott, when the old dark Navy Blues lowered their colours but once to the men from the Carringbush in a Grand Final.

But as any self-respecting Carltonian will remind you, that happened on the first Saturday in October – not the last Saturday in September – and Carlton’s Grand Final triumphs over Collingwood in the Septembers of 1915, 1938, 1970, 1979 and 1981 have more than made up for that early blemish.

Nevertheless, expect old wounds to be reopened once more when former greats of both teams again run out, in a Carlton-Collingwood charity match for cancer research and awareness at Visy Park on Sunday 4 May.

The match will be in aid of Peter McCallum Cancer Foundation, a key charity of both clubs, and the Ted EJ Whitten Foundation for Prostate Cancer Awareness for Men’s Health.

Don’t miss the famous 1995 CFC Premiership duo Anthony Kouotofides and Ange Christou, and their team of top-line CFC players, take on Peter Daicos, Leigh Brown, Damien Monkhurst, Gavin Crosisca, Phil Carmen and many other Pies stars of the 1990’s and 2000’s

The organising committee members from the Spirit of Carlton including Col Kinnear, Dennis Munari, Ian Collins, John Warden, Geoff Southby, and David Rhys Jones, together with Collingwood Past Players Keith Burns, Murray Browne, Ronnie McKeown and Mark Orval, have joined forces to reunite in combat “old timers” of the 1980s, ’90s and ’00s.

In addition to Kouta & Ange, others from Carlton expecting to run out include: Alex Marcou, Setanta O’Hailpin, Glenn Manton, Brad Fisher and Ian Aitken. The Pies will also produce many of their other stars from the same era. Legendary coach David Parkin will head up the Navy Blues, while Mick Erwin will return to coach the Pies outfit.

Bookending the game are pre-match and post-match functions in the Carlton Cafe and surrounds, with AusKick Under 12 matches to be staged at halftime, along with other special halftime activities.

The pre-match function will be a special lunch at the Carlton Café, which holds about 150 people. It will feature interviews and footage of many past greats from both clubs, and an auction of the match players’ jumpers.

The contest, which organisers anticipate will draw as many as 15,000 people, is sure to fuel that passionate and intense rivalry which exists between Carlton and Collingwood supporters like no other.[/img]

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:01 pm

So Who Went?
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:27 pm

I went. Not impressed...Daicos didn't play, the major reason I went. It was wet, freezing, but the players did their best. Was a real amateur hour event. Carlton put on a terrible 'show'. PA system commentary was pedestrian at best, the decision to prevent anyone going onto the ground was bizarre considering you can do it at the VFL. The past players deserved better I thought. Best players for the Pies were Brodie Holland, Gavin Crosisca, Stephen Patterson, Jason Cloke, Leigh Brown, Simon Prestigiacomo, Mark Fraser and Damian Monkhorst.

Collingwood's goal kicking hasn't changed...kicked something like 15 behinds. Pies won by 3 or so goals.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:33 pm

I would've gone for Presti Smile How did Monky look - saw him running around Princess Park a few weeks ago, he's a giant of a man!!

- Ben
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Monkey is a freakin' GIANT! He had Glenn Manton on him out of the goal square in the last quarter. Was the mis-match of all time. I gotta say, no one seemed to pull a hammy, and the skills for the most part were pretty damn good. Mick Gayfer and Paul Tuddenhan still look in ridiculously good shape, as does Brodie a Holland. Dougie Barwick has been in a good paddock...barrel chest and thighs...now just a keg! God bless the man, his goal and smile in the last quarter of the 1990 GF is still burnt into my brain!
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:00 pm

Gayfer is a personal trainer if I remember rightly - he'd be one you would NOT want to line up on in a legends match!

- Ben
interested observer 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:57 pm

yes I went as well. If organisers were hoping for 15,000 they would have been disappointed as I reckon there was less than a thousand there. Game itself was good, players had a crack and the pies I think were a class above on the day. Paul Williams and Rupert Betheras also a good players whilst Dave Hughes pulled on the Blues jumper and provided a bit of entertainment for the crowd.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:42 pm

Agreed...Betheras was one of Pies' beat. My bad. Did not see Hughesey...must've been during the third quarter while I was inside watching the Gold Coast lady quarter on the big screen.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:52 am

Thanks for the reports guys. Any other details you have on the game would be much appreciated e.g. any good link play? Any good goals.

These are the photos from Collingwood's twitter account:

And a Vine of Peter Daicos coaching: https://vine.co/v/MrVdvZlmjqE

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:38 am

Leigh Brown drilled a 60m barrel from half forward post high through the big sticks in the last quarter. Probably the highlight of the game.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:13 am

lol at frankie raso playing for us
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: