Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US election 2020

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you hope wins the US Election?
Trump
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Biden
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Don't Care
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Well, let's just say far-left progressives hate Kanye for his wealth in the same way doctors hate that woman in the clickbait ads for discovering a $5 wrinkle cure at home. Laughing

people hate Kanye cos hes a $£$%^%%$ idiot! and married to the biggest fake news story ever! and it seems even she now thinks hes a $£$%^%%$ idiot!

but hey he made Taylor Swift even more famous!!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:08 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
Well, let's just say far-left progressives hate Kanye for his wealth in the same way doctors hate that woman in the clickbait ads for discovering a $5 wrinkle cure at home. Laughing

people hate Kanye cos hes a $ļæ½$%^%%$ idiot! and married to the biggest fake news story ever! and it seems even she now thinks hes a $ļæ½$%^%%$ idiot!

but hey he made Taylor Swift even more famous!!

https://www.facebook.com/100000004553254/posts/3447977705212347/?sfnsn=mo&d=n&vh=i

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:40 pm

Sicks Bux wrote:
The Democratic Convention starts on the 17th, so Biden's running mate should be announced any day. On one hand I hope it's not Kamala Harris because I can't stand her. On the other hand I hope it is Harris and she gets poleaxed during the pointy end of the campaign. I hear Susan Rice is another strong chance but I don't know much about her.

Harris is a bad choice for a number of reasons, but the trouble is there aren't really any good ones. Warren would have to totally sell out to even be considered. A few ā€“ Tammy Baldwin, Tammy Duckworth ā€“Ā seem okay, but are long shots. Most of the others are faithful Democrats with pretty dodgy track records. Rice hasn't held any political office but was a key member of the Obama cabinet, enough said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/10/opinion/susan-rice-africa.html

Anyway, whoever he picks will probably be the President of the United States in about two years, so that's fun.

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
But your premise suggests that the wealth of Kanye West (and Michael Jordan, and Oprah Winfrey) is something theyā€™ve never heard of and that it would break their brains if they found out, which is totally implausible because everybody who doesnā€™t live under a rock knows that these people are rich and understands that itā€™s possible in America for them to be. I can accept that some leftists might have bad or ultra-simplistic explanations for why Oprah is a multimillionaire, but the idea that it torpedoes their world view implies a position that I donā€™t think anybody actually holds.

WTAF!! what the **** are you smokin!

Did I say something particularly controversial/astonishing here? What exactly are you taking issue with?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:25 pm

David wrote:

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
But your premise suggests that the wealth of Kanye West (and Michael Jordan, and Oprah Winfrey) is something theyā€™ve never heard of and that it would break their brains if they found out, which is totally implausible because everybody who doesnā€™t live under a rock knows that these people are rich and understands that itā€™s possible in America for them to be. I can accept that some leftists might have bad or ultra-simplistic explanations for why Oprah is a multimillionaire, but the idea that it torpedoes their world view implies a position that I donā€™t think anybody actually holds.

WTAF!! what the **** are you smokin!

Did I say something particularly controversial/astonishing here? What exactly are you taking issue with?

Well my opinion was you completely mis read what I said and this post above was utter bullshit, well see what part annoyed TP.

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:02 pm

Well, this is the original post I was responding to:

stui magpie wrote:
Far left progressives must hate him, they's so fond of pointing out how all the wealth is inherited through white families, yet a black rapper with a flair for marketing can (apparently) become a billionaire.

Not sure if you feel there was anything there that I didnā€™t address? I just thought it was a bit of a silly observation, to be honest; "all the wealth is inherited through white families" is something Iā€™ve never heard anyone say.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:31 am

And Kamala Harris it is.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:47 am

David wrote:
Well, this is the original post I was responding to:

stui magpie wrote:
Far left progressives must hate him, they's so fond of pointing out how all the wealth is inherited through white families, yet a black rapper with a flair for marketing can (apparently) become a billionaire.

Not sure if you feel there was anything there that I didnā€™t address? I just thought it was a bit of a silly observation, to be honest; "all the wealth is inherited through white families" is something Iā€™ve never heard anyone say.

You don't read your own Facebook page?

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:04 am

Iā€™m not going to ask for evidence because Facebook search is a nightmare, but Iā€™d be surprised if you could point to an example of me or anyone in the comments saying that. Hardly anyone but me cares about inheritance and I would never be so reductionist about race, so ...
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:35 am

David wrote:
Sicks Bux wrote:
The Democratic Convention starts on the 17th, so Biden's running mate should be announced any day. On one hand I hope it's not Kamala Harris because I can't stand her. On the other hand I hope it is Harris and she gets poleaxed during the pointy end of the campaign. I hear Susan Rice is another strong chance but I don't know much about her.

Harris is a bad choice for a number of reasons, but the trouble is there aren't really any good ones.

Harris ticks every box

Female
Black
Not eligible for an old age pension
Left wing

Warren is already over 70. Give her a blanket for her knees and far kerr off to the nursing home with Sanders to keep a place warm for Bidet.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:15 am

Harris is not left-wing. She's a corporate shill. Those who supported Sanders can't stand her. What I hate about her nomination is that her supporters are going to go out of their way to bang on about her race and gender to deflect attention away from her shitty record and neoliberal economic positions.

This is one of my favourite moments from the Democratic debates: https://youtu.be/Y4fjA0K2EeE

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:54 am

What is actually left wing is becoming like a Crocodile Dundee skit.
That's not Left Wing / Progressive/ blah blah, This is........

Personally I don't care. Some people think she's further left than Sanders, others clearly think differently.

Interestingly since the announcement Biden has moved to clear favourite with the bookies.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:14 am

It's about the policies. Sanders supported Medicare for all, free college and a wealth tax. Harris doesn't. Harris accepted money from corporate donors. Sanders didn't.
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:50 pm

Sicks Bux is right. I acknowledge that debates over who is and isnā€™t left-wing sometimes read as no-true-scotsman arguments, but I think itā€™s safe to say Harris isnā€™t. Sheā€™s squarely in the centrist Democrat camp along with Biden. There are relatively progressive/"liberal" Democrats who are still much less left-wing than Sanders, but Harris isnā€™t one of them (despite some attempts to rebrand herself as such in the lead-up to the primaries). I donā€™t think much of her, but sheā€™s a politically sensible choice for them because she wonā€™t alienate "moderate Republicans" too much + much of the liberal-left are a captive audience for Biden at this point anyway (because whatever issues they may have with him, theyā€™re still going to do whatever it takes to get Trump out. Harris does nothing to change that formula.)

Iā€™m not too invested in this news either way, because someone in Harrisā€™ political realm was always going to be the pick. The Sanders left lost the minute the party consolidated around Biden in March, and thereā€™s no consolation prize (and neither should they have expected any).
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:47 pm

Speaking of Facebook friends, I feel mean laughing at them behind their back ā€“ and I like this person a lot, political differences aside ā€“ but this made me giggle:

"Congratulations to the first black woman on a major party ticket. And no, sheā€™s not perfect. You had your chance with HRC and you blew it."

Laughing

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:31 pm

I found this amusing
go to google and ask for
Finnish word for horrible

Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 57 of 85   

Jump to: