Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"The Circle" can VC recipient.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No, just someone who's capable of recognising selective reasoning and isn't afraid to challenge social taboos. That, after all, is what this story is about: not an injustice against a man and his reputation, but a blundering act of heresy against the dominant paradigm.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:51 pm

David wrote:
No, just someone who's capable of recognising selective reasoning and isn't afraid to challenge social taboos. That, after all, is what this story is about: not an injustice against a man and his reputation, but a blundering act of heresy against the dominant paradigm.

Blah, blah, blah, blah. You like to post this type of crap and make out as if it's paradigm altering when in reality it's just you having an issue with anyone who works in a field where violence is used to get the job done.

It's time to grow up a realise the world you live in isn't a nice place and we need a military machine to defend our way of life, including yours. You have this completely unrealistic view of the world and the people that exist within it.

You mentioned in your previous post that the people Cpl Roberts-Smith "engaged" had family too and what considerations had been given regarding their deaths and the affect that would have on their family. Well they chose to become members of a group of people that have dedicated their lives to the repression of women via executions and amputations, terrorism, and they harboured Osama Bin Laden after 9/11.

Your feelings of injustice for these people is completely misplaced.

David Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Don't know if you can be bothered to watch this, but it sheds light on who many of the so-called "Taliban insurgents" actually are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2rTyN6gOv0

As for the 'crap' I posted above, my motives are irrelevant if you realise that this is exactly what is happening here. It's really rather obscenely obvious.

By the way, I accept the need for a military (and a police force, for that matter). Still, what our soldiers are doing in Afghanistan has little do with protecting our way of life. It's an ally's war of revenge against a regime that harboured terrorist groups. That may provide some justification for our involvement, but it doesn't render things black and white, and certainly doesn't unquestionably vindicate war killings.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:11 pm

David wrote:
Having watched half of that (fawning) interview, I've heard him admit to killing three people during this targeted assassination job alone. How many people has the Corporal 'engaged' in his career, I wonder? I dare say a few more than Julian Knight.

TP, have you ever stopped to think about the families of those 'insurgents' (i.e. local citizens fighting against foreign invaders)? How many wives have lost their husbands; how many children have had their Dads killed by this war hero? And people are getting in a lather over some tv personalities taking the piss out of him. Rolling Eyes

It's so easy to minimise these events by saying "It's just war" or using euphemisms like "engaged". It's easy to think of Afghani insurgents as evil, black-hearted Muslims who don't deserve to live, but it's important to remember that this is what war is; this is what we glorify when we carry on about war heroics.

i never said its just a war.

i never said they deserve to die.

i have often said i think all war is futile and a waste of life, but it is also a fact of life.

all i have said is some stupid famous for not much dickheads who have probably never done a noble thing in their pathetic little clostered lives, should be ashamed of themselves for taking the piss out of someone who has risked his life saving others.

i also said no matter what uniform he was wearing, i would support him just the same.

and as for comparing him to Julian Knight, that is way out of line and you should be ashamed of yourself.

put your agenda forward David, but dont go twisting or adding to, my words to do it.

just say what you think.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:44 pm

David wrote:
Having watched half of that (fawning) interview, I've heard him admit to killing three people during this targeted assassination job alone. How many people has the Corporal 'engaged' in his career, I wonder? I dare say a few more than Julian Knight.

TP, have you ever stopped to think about the families of those 'insurgents' (i.e. local citizens fighting against foreign invaders)? How many wives have lost their husbands; how many children have had their Dads killed by this war hero? And people are getting in a lather over some tv personalities taking the piss out of him. Rolling Eyes

It's so easy to minimise these events by saying "It's just war" or using euphemisms like "engaged". It's easy to think of Afghani insurgents as evil, black-hearted Muslims who don't deserve to live, but it's important to remember that this is what war is; this is what we glorify when we carry on about war heroics.

That is pretty much unforgivable. Simplistic nonsense in the extreme, like most of your arguments. When you are in a war zone, you expect to get shot at. You don't expect to get shot at while driving along Hoddle Street.

When someone signs up for the armed forces, they go where the government of the day sends them, and do what they are ordered to do. If they don't want to do that, they shouldn't join up in the first place.

If we'd never had armed forces, you'd be typing in Japanese.
David Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:50 pm

think positive wrote:
i have often said i think all war is futile and a waste of life, but it is also a fact of life.

all i have said is some stupid famous for not much dickheads who have probably never done a noble thing in their pathetic little clostered lives, should be ashamed of themselves for taking the piss out of someone who has risked his life saving others.

i also said no matter what uniform he was wearing, i would support him just the same.

No you wouldn't! Would you seriously label a member of the Taliban who organised an assassination job on a high-ranking Australian official and took out three diggers in the process (in the name of saving his comrades) a hero? No way known. They're the bad guys, we're the good guys; they're terrorists, our soldiers are heroes.

As for the Knight reference, let's cut the bullshit: these people, SAS force members, kill people. We try to sugarcoat that with euphemisms and by saying that "that's war", and we rightly spare them the tag of serial killer because they are following orders from above and acting in armed combat situations, but neither does that vindicate their actions.

I can't speak in favour of The Circle's presenters, but I'd rather be a half-decent reporter like George Negus than a life-size G.I. Joe who spends his time running around with a machine gun shooting people and getting shot at. If that makes me 'cloistered', so be it!

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:56 pm

David wrote:
I can't speak in favour of The Circle's presenters, but I'd rather be a half-decent reporter like George Negus than a life-size G.I. Joe who spends his time running around with a machine gun shooting people and getting shot at. If that makes me 'cloistered', so be it!

Then you too can make juvenile comments about another mans performance in the sack, I am sure that's groundbreaking journalism. Laughing

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Is this thread still going? Shocked
David Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Doc63 wrote:
David wrote:

That is pretty much unforgivable. Simplistic nonsense in the extreme, like most of your arguments. When you are in a war zone, you expect to get shot at. You don't expect to get shot at while driving along Hoddle Street.

When someone signs up for the armed forces, they go where the government of the day sends them, and do what they are ordered to do. If they don't want to do that, they shouldn't join up in the first place.

That's actually kind of a myth, but that's beside the point: I've already said that I believe in having an operational defence force.

Re: Knight, I wasn't asserting an equivalence between the two, I was simply pointing out the high irony in the polarised reactions to two killers. I see that point has flown over most people's heads, though.

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:01 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Is this thread still going? Shocked

Yeah, I got bored with it, so I needed entertain myself at David's expense.

Razz

David Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:04 pm

The Prototype wrote:
David wrote:

Then you too can make juvenile comments about another mans performance in the sack, I am sure that's groundbreaking journalism. Laughing

*sigh*

I'm actually about to watch that clip to see what all the outrage is about. As I said in my first post, however, this is a far bigger issue than what gaffes people made on television.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:06 pm

David wrote:
Doc63 wrote:
David wrote:

That's actually kind of a myth, but that's beside the point: I've already said that I believe in having an operational defence force.

Re: Knight, I wasn't asserting an equivalence between the two, I was simply pointing out the high irony in the polarised reactions to two killers. I see that point has flown over most people's heads, though.

David, that's not over our heads, it's just unbelievably insulting.

Someone fought and died for your rights, don't you ever forget that.

And yes, if a soldier from the other team, jumped in front of gun s to save his mates, I'd call him a hero to, you can believe what you want.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:08 pm

[quote="David"]
Doc63 wrote:
David wrote:

David wrote:

Yeah, you just dont want them to kill anyone.

David wrote:

No, it hasn't. Its just that most people think its tripe. And it is.
David Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnWCGLwSDqg

Oh, for heaven's sake. Negus was just making a joke about muscular men in general. Totally harmless. Stynes' comment was a bit more uncalled for, but hardly reason to announce martial law. She suggested that a soldier was stupid; would anyone have complained if she'd made the same comment about a rugby league player?

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:10 pm

David wrote:
*sigh*

I'm actually about to watch that clip to see what all the outrage is about. As I said in my first post, however, this is a far bigger issue than what gaffes people made on television.

I wouldn't worry, it was a tongue in cheek comment, this thread seemed to go off the actual topic pages ago.... and still remained there.

This thread seemed more people pushing their views on War, and who is or isn't a hero. Stui said it best back on I think the 2nd page.

Last edited by The Prototype on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 6 of 24   

Jump to: