Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Malevolent Morrison Muppet Goverment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
My thoughts exactly, some people seem to think he can just write a cheque for a few million and hand it over

And that doing so would miraculously put out the fires.

Or having an economically devastating environmental policy would mean these fires wouldn't happen or something.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I really hope Morrison calls an inquiry into the fires and focuses on ground fuel reduction and the alleged "greentape" hurdles put in place by councils that restrict reducing ground fuel. If he does, and the results come out as I expect, that will wipe out the Greens vote everywhere except their traditional heartland, inner city suburbs where the Environment is to be discussed not experienced.

Judgement pre-made. If he holds an enquiry it will be an LNP majority so that will simply relfect party lines. At least you're upfront with who you attibute blame to. So too are the LNP

The Greens poll well in a lot of places not just the CBD (ebbs and flows) but never enough to get seats around the country

Perhaps the forest industry should chair an enquiry?

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:20 pm

While I do think there is a lot of partisan bullshit being flung around, I do think there are a few genuinely damning things about Morrison’s response to the bushfires. The gravest is his refusal to acknowledge the role of climate change and treat it like the emergency it is by proposing radical action to try to mitigate these disasters in the years and decades to come. Obviously, nobody expects him to do that. But it’s frustrating to see him appear oblivious to the fact that this isn’t a normal bushfire season and that there’s a reason why it isn’t.

Another big part of his failure here is his very real inability to be the kind of leader a country needs in a situation like this. That’s not his fault; some people are born leaders and some aren’t. Morrison just seems like a guy who’s fallen into the job by mistake (which is basically what happened) and is clueless as to how to deal when a major incident lands on his doorstep. I obviously didn’t think much of him before this, but this has been a genuinely pitiful display of leadership. For all their failings, I can’t imagine Howard, Turnbull or Abbott being this inept in their messaging.

Here’s some real leadership, incidentally:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1212788981081006081

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:39 pm

David wrote:
While I do think there is a lot of partisan bullshit being flung around, I do think there are a few genuinely damning things about Morrison’s response to the bushfires. The gravest is his refusal to acknowledge the role of climate change and treat it like the emergency it is by proposing radical action to try to mitigate these disasters in the years and decades to come. Obviously, nobody expects him to do that. But it’s frustrating to see him appear oblivious to the fact that this isn’t a normal bushfire season and that there’s a reason why it isn’t.

Another big part of his failure here is his very real inability to be the kind of leader a country needs in a situation like this. That’s not his fault; some people are born leaders and some aren’t. Morrison just seems like a guy who’s fallen into the job by mistake (which is basically what happened) and is clueless as to how to deal when a major incident lands on his doorstep. I obviously didn’t think much of him before this, but this has been a genuinely pitiful display of leadership. For all their failings, I can’t imagine Howard, Turnbull or Abbott being this inept in their messaging.

It's not just the bushfires although that has brought Scotty from Marketing's lack of judgement into sharp focus, it's a number of issues of this nasty goverment characterised by:

1. Secrecy and lack of accountability (see The Federal Police raids on journalists)
2. The cost of the robo debt fiasco - this goverment has had to pay out gazillions to private contractors for their illegal robo debt policies / practices which were found to be illegal
3. Cuts to public services and the public service
4. Backing his mate Angus (conflict of interest) Taylor who has made foolish decisions and needs to stand aside while this has been referred further to the police (another instance of poor decion making
5. His refusal to say that he invited the head of the Nutter right wing Hillsong Chuch to the Whitehouse but was refused by the US at the time and Scott's refusal to answer basic questions
The list could go on ( this is well before his poor judgment to first refuse to disclose his holiday destination, to go on hols while Australia is burning, to take a selfe with others having coloured drinks in coloured clothes in Hawaii - such poor judgment. The latter is not the worst thing in the world but how much of a dumb insightless f*ck do you have to be?

Even for the contempt I hold the Mad Misogynist Monk, The Abbott would never have made such appaliing decisions as a leader: he just made other appalling decisions.

Last edited by watt price tully on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:10 pm

This too nails Morrison's ineptitude as a leader:

"...On two counts, at least, Morrison has been on the back foot. Anthony Albanese called weeks ago for a gathering of state and federal leaders to discuss the emergency response, but Morrison dismissed the idea and will not hold a Council of Australian Governments until March.

Could a COAG meeting have mobilised more help earlier? Surely it would not have hurt. So why not do it?

When Albanese suggested compensation for volunteers, Morrison was dismissive at first but later announced payments of up to $6000. The response was slow, again, to a big question. Can we keep relying so heavily on volunteers if these fires are the new normal?

The pattern is set. Morrison has reacted to this emergency but missed the chance to take the initiative. Yes, the primary responsibility lies with state leaders and their emergency authorities, but this is now a national crisis
..."

and

"...Morrison has made his own job more difficult with his decisions, not least the holiday. .......
One of Morrison’s first statements as Prime Minister quoted American general Norman Schwarzkopf. “When placed in command, take charge,” he said. Australians will judge him by those words
".

https://www.theage.com.au/national/morrison-is-losing-skin-pm-too-passive-in-the-face-of-national-crisis-20200102-p53odj.html

How good is leadership Scotty? Mongrel. F*ck off to Hawaii you prick.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:27 pm

This is what leadership looks like Scotty:

"Daniel Andrews has long feared that these days would come.
The Premier has been both dreading this crisis and preparing for it for 11 years....

...But leadership matters too and in that respect Andrews is giving a lesson to his mate Prime Minister Scott Morrison whose response at times has been hard to look at....

...Nobody on Spring Street can remember a leader dragging the media to a conference at nearly 11 o’clock at night as the Premier did on Thursday to declare the sweeping State of Disaster powers, another post-Black Saturday innovation
..."

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/andrews-has-spent-years-preparing-for-this-crisis-and-it-shows-20200103-p53onk.html

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:23 am

“Nation kinda accepts Albo unofficially taking over Prime Ministerial duties”

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/headlines/nation-just-kind-of-accepts-albo-unofficially-taking-over-prime-ministerial-duties/

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:29 am

Nobody wants Albo doing anything, hell nobody even thinks about the guy. He's a brown cardigan MP.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:57 am

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

I really hope Morrison calls an inquiry into the fires and focuses on ground fuel reduction and the alleged "greentape" hurdles put in place by councils that restrict reducing ground fuel. If he does, and the results come out as I expect, that will wipe out the Greens vote everywhere except their traditional heartland, inner city suburbs where the Environment is to be discussed not experienced.

Judgement pre-made. If he holds an enquiry it will be an LNP majority so that will simply relfect party lines. At least you're upfront with who you attibute blame to. So too are the LNP

The Greens poll well in a lot of places not just the CBD (ebbs and flows) but never enough to get seats around the country

Perhaps the forest industry should chair an enquiry?

I think a transparent inquiry that comes with clearly defined and easily implemented recommendations is the best, that someway reduces the ability of whinging on party lines.

I've read a number of accounts online, supposedly from people impacted by the fires, complaining about build up of fuel in their area and how councils did nothing or actively impeded it, eg not allowing people to enter and remove dead trees for firewood.

I had a look at the East Gippsland council website, the conditions for getting a permit to clear vegetation on council owned or managed land that abutts theirs or to simply graze livestock along roadsides to remove grass are so stringent no one is going to be able to do it.

The Green's have been around long before the political party, and while the political party may have positions on fuel reduction these have no application to local councils.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:06 am

Heroic PM Receives Standing Ovation From Thankful Cobargo Residents, Says Murdoch Newspapers

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/heroic-pm-receives-standing-ovation-from-thankful-cobargo-residents-says-murdoch-newspapers/

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:22 am

Death of the salesman? How Scott Morrison's PR nous deserted him in the bushfires

“...You are watching the destruction of a political leader,” the former Hawke government press secretary, Barrie Cassidy, said after watching the prime minister, Scott Morrison, in the bushfire devastated NSW town of Cobargo.

To experts in public relations, Morrison’s dramatic visit to the bushfire-ravaged village of Cobargo felt like something else – the political death of a salesman, a snowballing of anger at the way Morrison has dodged, dismissed and downplayed the unprecedented natural disaster....

“Those images would be devastating for a leader of any political persuasion,” says David Marshall, the former head of Canberra Tourism and Events and a communications strategist who wrote a PhD thesis on the Howard government’s media management.

“The prime minister has really got to re-look at the rhetoric and the messages, particularly his New Year’s message when he [downplayed] the fire situation. People don’t like that. This is devastation, and that messaging from him has been completely off-putting.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/04/death-of-the-salesman-how-scott-morrisons-pr-nous-deserted-him-in-the-bushfires

Looks like Dutton is slowly, furtively and quietly learning how to count again...

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:33 am

Not unheard of for brilliant political campaigners to lose the knack once they're in power then find it again during elections. It's a long road to the next election and he's just off winning the unwinnable (more like stealing the unloseable). Howard had a lot of dodgy periods but always pulled it off again once people had to vote.

I'd expect the same from Morrison, he's learning to lead not just win and this'll all be forgotten in 3 years time.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:34 pm

"Pity the poor #Australians, their country ablaze, and their rotten @ScottMorrisonMP saying, “This is not the time to talk about Climate Change. We have to grow our economy.” What an idiot. What good is an economy in an uninhabitable country? Lead, you halfwit!!

Bette Midler nails it it one

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:18 pm

Yeah, my personal policy is to treat the opinions of teenagers and actors with all the weight they deserve.

None.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:09 pm

^And the opinion of scientists?

I'll take anyone with self-awareness enough to realise where their own capabilities, knowledge and experience start and end.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 5 of 24   

Jump to: