Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Introducing the Greatest midfield the AFL has ever seen.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

BEAMER09 wrote:
TaylorMade wrote:
Any Objections ?

A Grand Final WIN to confirm it...

I'd suggest 3. Until then, it's just on paper.

TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:02 pm

I'd love to see the following all time midfield Records, as they could be potentially smashed by our Midfield group this year:

1. Clearences, throughout a full season
2. Contested possessions, throughout a full season
3. Ruck taps to advantage, throughout a full season
4. Goals produced, throughout a full season

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:06 pm

think positive wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-12/who-has-the-best-onballers-we-rank-every-club

they agree

but they dont think much of the defence! 9th!! and 9thmond are no 1

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-29/who-has-the-best-defence-we-rank-every-club

and forwards?? hmmm

lucky we are arguing over a couple of players that can swing!
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-05/who-has-the-best-forwards-we-rank-every-club

WARNING the first pic will break your heart!

Thanks for the links TP.
Just an observation which in the context of these ranking, while it keep us occupied before the season starts how can our forward line be rated 8th when we ranked third for scoring and equal-fourth for goals per inside 50. Are they taking in consideration that they ranked our midfield as the best? Very Happy Well if it makes everyone on here happy I rank us first in the backs second only to us in the midfield and third to collingwood and the Pies in the forwards! So stick that up your $%&£" stats!
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:08 pm

Last year they ranked our forward line 15th, before the season.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:35 pm

TaylorMade wrote:
Mossi,

So your saying Cox will be one on one ? Hmmm interesting. and if his not? I guess that means one of our lucky forwards will be on their own then hey? Even more interesting.

Thanks to the 6-6-6, why the hell would you be looking to the wing if cox is one on one?

I presume the winger to be in the 6 at the centre bounce from the square he gets in as quick as possible to make the extra man. Phillips and Sidey would do damage to their opposition. In a quick kick situationI doubt Coxy would only be one on one, as there is centainly another defender coming over the top. Coxy gets his most of his marks when the ball is kicked in front of him where he can take it at the highest point!
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Mossi,

Are you saying that if we win the centre clearence, and we kick the ball long into OUR forward line, to one on one contest's, it is not an advantage for us !?? I think your forgetting that Cox feeds our small forwards with his clever taps. I think you need to really re-read over your comments.

So instead maybe we should kick it sideways to the wing? And then to Half-back? Then chip it back to Maynard in the back pocket, and then evaluate the situation from there? lol

Im not quite sure your reading my posts entirely before responding to me, if you did, you would notice that (Yes in the 666 Cox will be One on One, when the ball gets bounced at the start of every quarter, and after each goal.) IF not, and Mason is double teamed , basic mathematics will tell you that we will have someone else un-marked in the forward line because again, Cox may draw 2 defenders of the 6 allowed in the 50 area....

Guess what Mossi, they're called wingman for a reason. Were not freakin Melbourne demons who dont play with natural wingman!!!!!

If your going to try turn this into a debate about and getting me to admit that kicking the ball into the forward line is NOT as big of an advantage as kicking to the wing to Phillips or waiting for Phillips to get in the square to help Adams Beams and co, Then i suggest you just stop right now!!!

TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:39 pm

I assure you if Beams DeGoey Adams Or Sier win a centre clearence, they will be looking and kicking pretty quickly (one-way). Not left, not right, not backwards, Forward!!

The only player who does what you say is Pendlebury as he can create extra time and scan other options. But now with the 666 rule, Even Pendles will be looking one way.

I'd now like to bring to your attention, one certain play that rings a bell from the Prelim v Richmond. When Sidey from the centre square, hit the leading De-Goey on the chest, after winning the centre clearence. Remember that play? That's how footy should be played.

Your point on Cox is also in-valid, as with the 666 rule, it helps create more room for forwards to lead into as well. Instead of teams clogging up 'passing lanes'.

Last edited by TaylorMade on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 pm

That sounds like a plan.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:52 pm

TaylorMade wrote:
Mossi,

Are you saying that if we win the centre clearence, and we kick the ball long into OUR forward line, to one on one contest's, it is not an advantage for us !?? I think your forgetting that Cox feeds our small forwards with his clever taps. I think you need to really re-read over your comments.

So instead maybe we should kick it sideways to the wing? And then to Half-back? Then chip it back to Maynard in the back pocket, and then evaluate the situation from there? lol

I am not saying that at all. We had a differing opinion on wingmens importance in the ristricted 6 6 6 format. All I am saying is that the running role of a wingman becomes more important as he is the first able to come into the square after a ball up and can influence the contest I didn't say that the midfielders are going to kick the ball to the wing instead of looking for our forwards one on one! The ball in the hands of a wingman outside the pack kicking into our forward line is a much better scennario than a quick kick under pressure to a forward line where you presume there will be a 1 on 1 contest.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:46 am

TaylorMade,

You have been posting at such a furious pace so it is hard to keep up but in response to a couple of your points:

Nobody has said that Phillips is better than Sidebottom. That does not mean that Phillips won't play every game unless injured or his form drops off. Until then he is an automatic selection.

If Max Gawn is injured Melbourne have a very good replacement on their list now, after recruiting Preuss from North.

No one knows what the 6-6-6 rules will actually result in until at least several rounds into the season. Buckley may have some idea what to do but he doesn't know what the opposition coaches will do. And none of them know what they will do when they are met with a tactic that they haven't considered. Consider the development of Walls' kick in/huddle as an example. It will change from game to game and week to week. One thing that is clear though is that on average there will be 25 centre bounces where the wings are isolated. Endurance will be king. No Collingwood player can outrun Phillips.

I agree with one point you are making though, about the depth of the list. We are talking about how hard it will be for an established, high level performance player to keep his spot in the team. That is a great position for the club to be in.
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:02 am

i agree, 5 from the wing on debut

Lets wait and see what happens with the 666 rule and how teams are going to go about it. However, im not the only one who thinks Phillips is not an automatic selection. Just look up the article posted by Think Positive. A lot of people have failed to respond to my 6 points of concern about Phillips. Its hard to have a discussion when people when they fail to at least respond to my points:

1. His composure at times, when helping defense.
2. His strength in the contest. Sidebottom and Daicos both use the body better.
3. He is not two-footed.
4. He needs to improve his tackling ability.
5. He does not have strong marking ability.
6. Cannot play multiplue positions ( probaly the most important one, bucks said players will need this to make the team )

IMO, Phillips is severely overrated. I'd even go as far as saying i'd prefer to see Jack Crisp on the left wing. Phillips is only effective at gathering un-contested possessions. Hence he went missing in the finals.

Mossi,

Lets just stop there because you not quite understanding the concept here. Anybody would agree that if you win the ball from the centre bounce, the most ideal thing will be to kick it long into the forward line! There will be one on ones because of 666. Not because i presume so. 6 defenders + 6 forwards = One on One contests.

Last edited by TaylorMade on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:16 am

TaylorMade wrote:

... A lot of people have failed to respond to my ... points of concern ... Its hard to have a discussion when people when they fail to at least respond to my points:

Welcome to Nick's, TM. I guess you're supposed to be grateful that a couple of people on this BB have not yet repeatedly and obsessively hurled personal abuse at you. There are people* who feel threatened if you simply ask a couple of questions. Don't worry, though. I think most people would agree that Flip is one-sided and kind of small.

* Let me be clear: Not those who've replied to you so far.

Last edited by K on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:19 am

Thanks K,

I love the Team and all the players. Im not afraid to call one out though.

People are acting like Phillips has the same reputation as Pendlebury, its quite amusing.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:25 am

Well, there are no complete footballers in the AFL. (e.g. Paddy & Dusty can't kick.) Everyone has something to work on.
They just need to play to their strengths.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:39 am

Feel every footballer has their strengths and weaknesses and they definitely hone their strengths and train to reduce their weaknesses

A skill most cherished by all players is awareness and the ability to react as quick as possible to make that skill produce a plus for his team

Our most aware player shows us what awareness can produce —I talk of Pendlebury

It’s as tho plan A ,B & C come immediately to his attention and he can select
the right one—- he’s done this before your average player knows which way he will move

Awareness is the best skill for mine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 5 of 33   

Jump to: