Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Cakewalk"? Should the club song words be changed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want the Collingwood club song's words changed, in particular the word "cakewalk"?
1) No. I do not want any changes to the words.
79%
 79%  [ 39 ]
2) Maybe. I am unsure and might be persuaded either way.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
3) Yes. I want change(s) to the word(s), AND I cannot be bothered reading through the options below to specify exactly what change(s).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4) Yes. Specifically, I want only a one-word change (replace "cakewalk").
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
5) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "There is just one team we favour" (the Club's failed 1983 version).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the Magpie Army's faithful" (To...).
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
7) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the courage is unfailing" (At...).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For I hear the magpie calling".
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
9) Yes. I want change(s) to the words, AND my specific preference is none of the above.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that Wikipedia is the greatest of resources but I didn’t see this point mentioned yet (although I may have missed it skimming over the repetitive, irrelevant bullshit about jumpers some people are posting):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cakewalk_(carnival_game)

As for the psychology of the current words, I think you only need to watch the players singing it after a win to know the reality there

However in the ‘spirit’ of the thread, I would like to propose that every club should rewrite their song every year to align with their actual performance during the last season... for example, Richmond or the Dogs could adopt the cakewalk line following their recent flags, while Carlscum should be forced to include ‘the premiership is a distant dream, following four more board spills’ in theirs. Hawthorn can have ‘riding the bumps with a broken collarbone’ And so on. Realism, exactly what everyone wants in a club song /sarcasm

K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:51 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Not that Wikipedia is the greatest of resources but I didn’t see this point mentioned yet ...
<link to Cakewalk description>

What point is it that you did not see mentioned? We kind of mentioned the origins of the cakewalk at the start (although that did not seem to be the main motivation of posters in the precursor for discussing the word in the club song).
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:26 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Not that Wikipedia is the greatest of resources but I didn’t see this point mentioned yet (although I may have missed it skimming over the repetitive, irrelevant bullshit about jumpers some people are posting):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cakewalk_(carnival_game)

As for the psychology of the current words, I think you only need to watch the players singing it after a win to know the reality there

However in the ‘spirit’ of the thread, I would like to propose that every club should rewrite their song every year to align with their actual performance during the last season... for example, Richmond or the Dogs could adopt the cakewalk line following their recent flags, while Carlscum should be forced to include ‘the premiership is a distant dream, following four more board spills’ in theirs. Hawthorn can have ‘riding the bumps with a broken collarbone’ And so on. Realism, exactly what everyone wants in a club song /sarcasm

LOL!! thats quite funny, agree on the gift to the dogs and the no show that the tigers got!! the carlton one cracked me up!!

K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

How players sing a song after a win tells us nothing whatsoever about the psychological effect of words.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:02 pm

Many thanks for taking the time to address my arguments, Stui.

[quote="stui magpie"]

Despite that, pretty much everyone understands what it means in context, so I don't think it's lack of popular usage is justification for removing it.

True - once the younger ones have had it explained to them!! Wink

[quote="stui magpie"] I'll pay that it's not correct as the premiership is actually a cakewalk for no team, but it's no less incorrect than Geelong declaring themselves "the greatest team of all" or Calton declaring they will never let supporters down. It's an aspirational boast

Yes, it's a boast and a totally absurd, unrealistic one, thereby losing any aspirational value. I also wonder why posters keep referring to what other teams do? I couldn't give a rat's a*se about what's in the songs of other clubs, as I don't follow them.

[quote="stui magpie"] Even in light of our history of finishing runners up, that doesn't justify to me why we should remove it. In fact, removing it and the reaction that would glean from other supporters would cut me way more than leaving it alone. It would be like symbolically waving the white flag and saying to all that we accept we're losers.

Actually, I hadn't thought of it in this way and you could well be right. However, once again, I don't care what supporters of other clubs think, plus they hate us anyway!! Smile I'd much rather we attend to our own backyard and sing a last line that's factually true, but simultaneously inspirational.

[quote="stui magpie"]
Plus, most of the players these days are big fans of US sports where players continually make grandiose statements so sorry, I disagree.

This is not a logical argument Stui. We may all be fans of a particular sport, but it doesn't follow by extension that we want to behave they way they do, or even agree with the way they behave. For example, I love tennis, but Nick Kyrgios is starting to really annoy me!!

[quote="stui magpie"] Players are motivated by winning, personal pride and team success, not songs.

Yep, I'm sure they are motivated by what you list here. Inclusive in the notion of team success is singing the club song together after a win. It's very much a bonding tool. Otherwise, why bother? They could just go around slapping each other on the back/bum/whatever. Smile

Also, the unfortunate fact is there are always subliminal effects in language. Saying/singing that winning the premiership is a piece of p*ss, runs the risk of either setting up unrealistic, unattainable expectations and/or placing undue extra pressure on the players.

[quote="stui magpie"] If you can show me some categorical evidence that removing "Cakewalk" from the club song will increase our chances of winning premierships, I'm in.

Well, you're asking me to do the impossible here Stui, because removing the poxy term is the only way to gather categorical evidence!!!

Thank you sincerely once again for your views.

PS, Couldn't seem to get my response to highlight your quotes in the accepted way, so used italics instead.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:17 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Plus, most of the players these days are big fans of US sports where players continually make grandiose statements so sorry, I disagree.

This is not a logical argument Stui. We may all be fans of a particular sport, but it doesn't follow by extension that we want to behave they way they do, or even agree with the way they behave. For example, I love tennis, but Nick Kyrgios is starting to really annoy me!!

It's also a highly dubious claim to make about US football. I don't see any evidence that, in the NFL, teams like being heavy favourites any more than they do in other codes of football. There are some sports where teams enjoy favouritism. In possibly all codes of football, they seem much more comfortable being regarded as underdogs. AFL clubs' attempts to avoid being talked up are sometimes comical. I have seen no change in that AFL attitude over the decades.

PyreneesPie wrote:
... PS, Couldn't seem to get my response to highlight ... quotes in the accepted way, so used italics instead.

PPie, are you sure you're ending each quote with the command "[/quote]" (with a forward slash, not backward slash).
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:37 pm

glasseyevfx wrote:
personally I never interpenetrated the song as saying "we declare ourselves a shoe in"
I thought it was was saying we are a wonderful talented club: we know how to play the game, with a team that works together: side by side, and so surely we will have the premiership because of our attitude.

This is in interesting comment. I can see what you're thinking - the premiership is a natural reward for all the fine attributes and attitudes of our club and its supporters, as beautifully expressed in the rest of the song . I quite admire your interpretation and oh, how I wish that was true!!! If Tom Nelson could have phrased it in that way, I'd find it far more acceptable. Smile

For the last thirty years though, I have interpreted that line as being an anomaly, plucked out of nowhere as a careless, thoughtless, nonsensical way to finish the song!! The fact that it doesn't rhyme at all seems to add to my conviction. Well, I have now learnt thanks to K that it was composed on a footy trip!! Say no more!!! Laughing

Nevertheless, I reckon your interpretation has equal merit. Thanks for explaining it. Wish Tom Nelson could have been better expressed it, as a notion of just reward!! The glaring problem is that the footy gods and the AFL have seen to it that, in present times, although attitude and fan support are important, they are by no means the only contributing factors. This makes the last line a completely obsolete, ridiculous statement, no matter which way you look at it.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:43 pm

K wrote:
In possibly all codes of football, they seem much more comfortable being regarded as underdogs. AFL clubs' attempts to avoid being talked up are sometimes comical. I have seen no change in that AFL attitude over the decades.

Very astute point K. Yet despite that general attitude in our sport, here we have a team song that says winning premierships is really, really easy!!! Confused

Thanks for the heads up about the quoting!!![/quote]
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:44 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Many thanks for taking the time to address my arguments, Stui.

stui magpie wrote:

Despite that, pretty much everyone understands what it means in context, so I don't think it's lack of popular usage is justification for removing it.

True - once the younger ones have had it explained to them!! Wink

stui magpie wrote:
I'll pay that it's not correct as the premiership is actually a cakewalk for no team, but it's no less incorrect than Geelong declaring themselves "the greatest team of all" or Calton declaring they will never let supporters down. It's an aspirational boast

Yes, it's a boast and a totally absurd, unrealistic one, thereby losing any aspirational value. I also wonder why posters keep referring to what other teams do? I couldn't give a rat's a*se about what's in the songs of other clubs, as I don't follow them.

stui magpie wrote:
Even in light of our history of finishing runners up, that doesn't justify to me why we should remove it. In fact, removing it and the reaction that would glean from other supporters would cut me way more than leaving it alone. It would be like symbolically waving the white flag and saying to all that we accept we're losers.

Actually, I hadn't thought of it in this way and you could well be right. However, once again, I don't care what supporters of other clubs think, plus they hate us anyway!! Smile I'd much rather we attend to our own backyard and sing a last line that's factually true, but simultaneously inspirational.

stui magpie wrote:

stui magpie wrote:
Players are motivated by winning, personal pride and team success, not songs.

Yep, I'm sure they are motivated by what you list here. Inclusive in the notion of team success is singing the club song together after a win. It's very much a bonding tool. Otherwise, why bother? They could just go around slapping each other on the back/bum/whatever. Smile

Also, the unfortunate fact is there are always subliminal effects in language. Saying/singing that winning the premiership is a piece of p*ss, runs the risk of either setting up unrealistic, unattainable expectations and/or placing undue extra pressure on the players.

stui magpie wrote:
If you can show me some categorical evidence that removing "Cakewalk" from the club song will increase our chances of winning premierships, I'm in.

Well, you're asking me to do the impossible here Stui, because removing the poxy term is the only way to gather categorical evidence!!!

Thank you sincerely once again for your views.

PS, Couldn't seem to get my response to highlight your quotes in the accepted way, so used italics instead.

No problems, I tidied up the quotes here.

Look, we disagree that's all. It's a subjective argument for which there is no real right or wrong answer, just different opinions.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:08 pm

Thanks Stui - our discussion is much better to follow now!

Just thinking......there is scientific evidence that setting unrealistic, unattainable expectations in any way has far more negative consequences than beneficial ones. Conversely, setting or expressing attainable, measurable expectations can provide great incentive. Do you want me to bore you silly by listing articles here? Smile

Anyway, you are correct in saying this is all a very subjective topic and discussion. So, I'll take a line from you - You're entitled to your own opinion, but if it disagrees with mine, it's wrong. Smile Smile (I find your catch line very amusing).

As I mentioned previously, the best solution for me personally is to just sing my own last line. I can happily be a black sheep! Or do a PhD in Psychology on the effects of the Collingwood song on players and coaches .... that's not gonna happen!! Smile
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:44 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Just thinking......there is scientific evidence that setting unrealistic, unattainable expectations in any way has far more negative consequences than beneficial ones. Conversely, setting or expressing attainable, measurable expectations can provide great incentive. Do you want me to bore you silly by listing articles here? Smile

Sure; go ahead! Why not? No one is actually forced to read an article just because it is mentioned in someone's comment. No one is forced to read anything.

It's not that the word's suggestion is unrealistic that I find the most troubling. It's that it says the goal is extremely easy. Essentially by definition, it's saying that little or no effort is required. How dangerous a notion that is! It'd be less dangerous if it said, "Oh! We've won a thousand premierships."
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:04 pm

OMG, the penny finally dropped. The players let West Coast win so they didn't have to sing that song with the words cake walk in it. You know it makes sense.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Yeah, B5, we know you're being facetious, but it's not about what the players consciously want in-game or in song...

Here's Hine*:

"The room is not a pleasant place to be as Hine delivers a dose of reality. If the person's impression of AFL football is that it is all glamour, he is in for a rude shock. Hine knows that but he must use this time well so the player leaves with no doubt about what lies ahead. ... In the game's history, nine per cent of players play one game only, 31 per cent manage 50 games, 16 per cent reach the 100-game milestone, while just above 5 per cent of players play more than 200 games...

Hine drops sentences ... at regular intervals as the recruiter speaks:
"We expect you to chase coaches. I tell you now, they won't come to you."
"For ******'s sake, take the responsibility to make a career out of it."
"There will be a point in time when someone brings you in here and tells you it is time to go."
"Don't see it as your right. See it as your privilege."
"

How is "cakewalk" consistent with the message Hine is trying to get across? It'd be less contrary to his message to sing about the club having won 1000 premierships than about how easy it all is.

* As recounted in P. Ryan's book.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:19 pm

K wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Not that Wikipedia is the greatest of resources but I didn’t see this point mentioned yet ...
<link to Cakewalk description>

What point is it that you did not see mentioned

The alternative description of Cakewalk which I linked as derived from a very simple English fairground game - which seems to me a more likely connection than the American one, and isn’t racist

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:23 pm

K wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

How players sing a song after a win tells us nothing whatsoever about the psychological effect of words.

In your opinion. They’re obviously not ashamed or embarrassed by them

I will go as far as to say that nobody has ever won OR lost a premiership as a result of the wording of their team song

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 5 of 25   

Jump to: