Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Aish/Adams/Grundy/Moore/Treloar = Future of Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Why on earth would he stay when all he can look forward to is being insurance for an injury to Grundy?

I'd like the big fella to stick around too, but in all honesty I can't see him allowing his football career to be frustrated by playing second fiddle to Grundy and mostly in the VFL. It ain't gonna happen. He's gonski. Get used to the idea guys. That way you'll feel better about it when it happens.

I think people are just a little quick writing off the potential for Grundy and Witts to work together at senior level.

Yes, I have though the same. Grundy has been excellent these past few weeks, not least because his contested marking has come on in leaps and bounds. I'd love to see him tried out at CHF for the next few rounds, with Witts allowed to ruck, as he seems to have been coming on really well at the VFL. We need a good KPP and if we have another good ruckman coming through, Grundy might be it, however good he has been in the ruck as he has developed.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:51 am

Mugwump wrote:
jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Why on earth would he stay when all he can look forward to is being insurance for an injury to Grundy?

I'd like the big fella to stick around too, but in all honesty I can't see him allowing his football career to be frustrated by playing second fiddle to Grundy and mostly in the VFL. It ain't gonna happen. He's gonski. Get used to the idea guys. That way you'll feel better about it when it happens.

I think people are just a little quick writing off the potential for Grundy and Witts to work together at senior level.

Yes, I have though the same. Grundy has been excellent these past few weeks, not least because his contested marking has come on in leaps and bounds. I'd love to see him tried out at CHF for the next few rounds, with Witts allowed to ruck, as he seems to have been coming on really well at the VFL. We need a good KPP and if we have another good ruckman coming through, Grundy might be it, however good he has been in the ruck as he has developed.

Why would we take our Best Ruckman out of the Ruck? Shocked

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:30 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

why indeed? Shocked
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:18 pm

witts was our number one ruckman at the start of the year and has been hampered by injury. in the last gew weeks grundy has taken his opportunity and his game to another level. having two decent rucks available for selection is hardly going to set us back.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:59 pm

Some more good signs from Crocker in the first quarter tonight. A beautiful pass for a goal. Another that De Goey really should have taken. Then a neat goal of his own. All that after he looked like he'd been knocked into the middle of next week in an accidental clash.

I can't wait to see him after a solid preseason.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:05 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

why indeed? Shocked

Because CHFs win premierships and he might be a premiership CHF. We have another developing ruck but no other developing CHF. Worth a try? 😇

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:18 pm

Mugwump wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

why indeed? Shocked

Because CHFs win premierships and he might be a premiership CHF. We have another developing ruck but no other developing CHF. Worth a try? 😇

He's nothing like a decent CHF imo. What he is, is a very good young ruckman.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:35 pm

^ Rudie, i agree that grundy is a fantastic ruck, now.

When he was last tried at ChF he was not great, but at that time he was not a great ruckman either and he did not hold his marks overhead much. Now he does.

If Witts did mature as a ruckman, and he seems to be doing so, I can imagine a scenario where Grundy might be a powerful combination with Moore, good overhead and at ground level in a way that would be a nightmare to defend and might deliver a flag. Might be completely wrong when tested, but I'd like to find out, especially as we are playing dead rubbers and Buckley's position in 2017 is such that I don't think too many risks will be taken.

E 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:31 am

Please add Jordan De goey to this list. he is going to be just as special as Aish!!! It is absurd that we on this board arent excited about this kid.

I was a little concerned at his marking tonight (something i haven't noticed until tonight - not sure if its an aberration), but he has elite potential in every other phase of the game (and particularly the through ball in traffic to set a player free to create 9something we are otherwsie shit at doing).

So many of the goals we kick where we look really polished are created or assisted with a sublime touch from degoey. at least 5 times tonight this happened.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:03 am

E wrote:
Please add Jordan De goey to this list. he is going to be just as special as Aish!!! It is absurd that we on this board arent excited about this kid.

I was a little concerned at his marking tonight (something i haven't noticed until tonight - not sure if its an aberration), but he has elite potential in every other phase of the game (and particularly the through ball in traffic to set a player free to create 9something we are otherwsie shit at doing).

So many of the goals we kick where we look really polished are created or assisted with a sublime touch from degoey. at least 5 times tonight this happened.

Agreed, E. He is a bit of a sleeper on our list, amd getting better visibly by the week. Once again, draft picks and kids take time to grow into men in this game, amd a lot of ours are starting to fill out as footballers. Scahrenberg will be the next, though he may not bloom til 2018, as he is about two years behind the others in development terms. There is much to look forward to.

I also thought that Crocker looked better tonight. Perhaps he is starting to get the measure of this caper, too. His goalkicking was iffy, but he was good overhead in the contest. He may be just keeping a spot warm for Elliott and Fasolo, but it's good to see him starting to step up.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:06 am

E wrote:

Just said the same thing in the Blair thread! Gutsy little trier who will only get better.

Boot 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:56 am

IMO Collingwood should keep Witts as within the next three years when he matures to be in his prime he and Grundy have the potential to dominate games as Sandilands did at Fremantle when in his prime.

The big question is how much Cox will develop in the next two years?

Pleasing to see Ben Crocker play well and depth for the forward pocket smaller forward role with Elliot, Fazolo and Crocker is pleasing.

Trade bait for Collingwood this silly season :-
1. Cloke - gone as a Collingwood senior player. Best well behind him but hopefully someone will see potential in him and provide a decent bit of compensation for us. I hope we play Cloke vs Hawthorn as a straight replacement for Moore's hammy so that the fans get the chance to thank him for carrying the Collingwood forward line for the past 8 years and some heroic efforts and so that his season doesn't finish in the VFL finals where his value for trade may be negatively influenced.
2. Frost / Brown - One of these to go for a 2nd Round pick. Niether provides enough drive from the backline although do play a good defensive game.
3. Goldsack - If Sharenberg is looking fit then we may be able to get a 2nd round pick for this hard man. Not willing to accept anything less as he remains a quality utility.
4. Goodyear - Not sure he is going to get into a midfield that seems to be full of players ahead of him in talent and with Brown and Daicos juniors joining the club I see him falling further down the rung of alternatives.
5. Cory Gault - I just don't see enough in him to persevere with.

Retirement:-
1. McCaffer
2. Toovey
3. Swan
4. Sinclair ( If the concussion issues cannot be resolved, sadly his career which was just starting to blossom may come to an early end) Worth keeping on the list just expect him to be gone if he gets one more concussion.

Priorities for recruitment should be young Key Defender since Frost is the only young player who fits that role and a replacement for Jessie White who is playing his career best football but is unlikely to be part of a premiership team. We have to do better than what Jessie brings to the game.

Bring on the silly season. Go Pies!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:01 am

Disappointing to see Witts only manage 14 kicks, 5 handballs, 6 marks, 62 hitouts and 1 goal this week in the VFL.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:03 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Disappointing to see Witts only manage 14 kicks, 5 handballs, 6 marks, 62 hitouts and 1 goal this week in the VFL.

His fatal weaknesses are not exposed at the slower pace of the VFL. I've no doubt if the AFL was played at the pace of the VFL, Witts would be one if its best ruckman. The problem isn't even too bad when he;s in the ruck and so I would be happy for him to be our number 1 ruckman in games where Grundy is not fit or in need of a rest (although Grundy, like Jolly, doesn't need much rest by the looks of it).

Unfortunately, he cant get a game as a number 2 ruckman because goals in the AFL are generated very easily out of the opponents forward line if the opponent cannot hold the ball in, and whoever played on witts routinely cuts us up on the overlap. witts is not alone, it is the same problem when cox is out there, and increasingly, when cloke is out there.

you can typically cover one liability, but in order for Witts to be that person, he would also need to become a dominant forward (not just a serviceable one).

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:29 am

^ Boot if Sinclair retires that will be a serious loss. I have the feeling he is central to our plans for fast transition via run and carry out of the backline. I understand why you say it, I just hope it ain't so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: