Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Cats. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

the obvious selections for this week are as follows:

Sinclair Oxley, Howe, Maynard, Frost and Reid down back
Sidey, Treloar, Adams, Pendles, Varcoe, De Goey, Greenwood, Crisp and Grundy in the middle.
Moore, Faz and Blair up forward.

that's a starting 18.

To me the bench will be comprised of 4 out of White, Cox, Toovey, Smith, Crocker.

The 5th, plus Aish, Cloke or Marsh to be named as emergencies.

What am I missing?

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:45 am

The main in will be Reid who we need against the Geelong talls. Howe is more valuable down back at the moment and Oxley is playing well, so maybe Toovey isn't needed, who could be dropped for Aish.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:15 am

We won't see a repeat of last week that's for sure and only our best footy will win this. We need to play 4 quarters and not give them an inch. They get a lot of ball and free space to move it round. We need to tighten up here and force the turnover and every opportunity. It will be won or lost in the midfield but I think the biggest key to victory will be skills and precision with hitting up targets. If we can get this right then look out. It's the turnovers that kill us time and time again.

Cox up forward is proving to be a winner and a difficult task for defenders because he's impossible to control in a one on one situation. He draws the free all the time because defenders can't get near him. Lets hope his hand is ok!

We need Reid back for this game if we're to stand a realistic chance. He adds that stability down back as well and poise and control. He's accurate and a good decision maker. I think it would take the pressure off Howe a bit too. I think Howe is more effective as a defender than a forward and besides, we have the forward line covered anyway.

The loss to the scum seemed to click us into gear somehow but we need to back up last week's win with more good footy. We can't keep going two steps forward and three steps back. We hit the bastards and we hit them hard!!!!
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:09 am

TBH if we keep this game to less than a 10 goal loss, we have improved from earlier in the season.

Swans 80 points and WCE was 10 goals + and could have been more if they kicked straight.

Cats like those two are top 8 (maybe top4?) sides, so keeping it under 10 goals will show we have improved a little from earlier rounds and maybe started to trend upwards.

That is what the rest of the year is about. Starting to trend upwards. Not the last 3 years of downward trends.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:52 am

Watch some of Cats v Crows last Friday and Cats tall forward line marking was a big strength and also a big factor in their win but mostly achieved by
a dominant midfield

Treloar,Adams and co. need to get the Sherrin first and use it well

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:33 pm

Only one change for mine - Reid in and probably Toovey out.

We go in as clear underdogs, which suits me fine. As long as we have a genuine 4 quarter dip, which we are are quite capable of doing, then I think we can beat the Pussies. We are finally beginning to get something of a settled side together now, and the return of Sinclair, Varcoe and Adams has been huge. We now have more speed, grunt and footy smarts. I guess, the one player who really needs to rise to the occasion is Greenwood. He's been pretty average all year imo, but if he can do a decent tagging job on Dangerfield, then this will go a long way to helping us secure a massive upset. We'll probably need Doodle (Cox) and Moore to snag 3 goals each as well as Fasolo and Barry (Crocker) to get at least a couple as well. It's clearly a huge challenge, but I think we are good enough to do the job. Pies by 15 points.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:42 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

We go in as clear underdogs, which suits me fine. As long as we have a genuine 4 quarter dip, which we are are quite capable of doing, then I think we can beat the Pussies. We are finally beginning to get something of a settled side together now, and the return of Sinclair, Varcoe and Adams has been huge. We now have more speed, grunt and footy smarts. I guess, the one player who really needs to rise to the occasion is Greenwood. He's been pretty average all year imo, but if he can do a decent tagging job on Dangerfield, then this will go a long way to helping us secure a massive upset. We'll probably need Doodle (Cox) and Moore to snag 3 goals each as well as Fasolo and Barry (Crocker) to get at least a couple as well. It's clearly a huge challenge, but I think we are good enough to do the job. Pies by 15 points.

Love your optimism but I have next to zero confidence we can beat the pussies in their current form. At this stage I'd be happy if can scare the bejesus out of them. Doggies the following week not any easier.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:47 pm

jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Love your optimism but I have next to zero confidence we can beat the pussies in their current form. At this stage I'd be happy if can scare the bejesus out of them. Doggies the following week not any easier.

When it comes to the Pies, I always lead with my heart not my head. Cool
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:51 pm

jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

As has been said, it would need a four quarter effort by the Pies but the Cats can be beaten, and well beaten too.

Much focus has gone on Selwood and Dangerfield, but Guthrie is the key to the Cats comeback when they start to trail behind on the scoreboard. Nail Guthrie and you can nail the game, providing you put in 100% for the full game time.

Up to Greenwood or Crisp (or Macaffer?) to lock down Guthrie.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:58 pm

jackcass wrote:

Yep, just where do you draw the line? That’s the main problem with optimism, pessimism and realism.
I said we would win against the Bears but I guess that was not too a hard prediction to make.
This week makes me far more nervous but happy that Collingwood is getting a few of the injured players back and competing that much better and running much harder to get involved at the contest. Marking has improved as well but kicking for goal, the less said, the better after watching the replay. I don’t like how the Bears kept on hitting the ball with their goalposts, especially in that first quarter!!
In honest, stark reality, I can’t see us winning but my own planet of irrational optimism regarding the mighty ‘pies see us prevail by 4 points!! I have banished any hint of pessimism to the bottom drawer with the used condoms from years ago. One never knows when your own DNA could become handy... Shocked Cool

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Yep, just where do you draw the line? That’s the main problem with optimism, pessimism and realism.
I said we would win against the Bears but I guess that was not too a hard prediction to make.
This week makes me far more nervous but happy that Collingwood is getting a few of the injured players back and competing that much better and running much harder to get involved at the contest. Marking has improved as well but kicking for goal, the less said, the better after watching the replay. I don’t like how the Bears kept on hitting the ball with their goalposts, especially in that first quarter!!
In honest, stark reality, I can’t see us winning but my own planet of irrational optimism regarding the mighty ‘pies see us prevail by 4 points!! I have banished any hint of pessimism to the bottom drawer with the used condoms from years ago. One never knows when your own DNA could become handy… Shocked Cool

crickey Lazza you could just keep some hair around to retain some DNA… Shocked

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:29 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:

In honest, stark reality, I can’t see us winning but my own planet of irrational optimism regarding the mighty ‘pies see us prevail by 4 points!! I have banished any hint of pessimism to the bottom drawer with the used condoms from years ago. One never knows when your own DNA could become handy… Shocked Cool

I knew that someone here would take my comment seriously.... Shocked

Totally my fault for not using the Twisted Evil Razz icons..... Embarassed

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:14 pm

Lazza wrote:
yin-YANG wrote:
Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:

I knew that someone here would take my comment seriously.... Shocked

Totally my fault for not using the Twisted Evil Razz icons..... Embarassed

I knew you weren't serious when you used the plural "condoms"... unless of course you wear them when home alone... Shocked
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:22 pm

jackcass wrote:
I knew you weren't serious when you used the plural "condoms"... unless of course you wear them when home alone... Shocked

You obvioiusly know me best at Nick's Daz.... Razz Smile Cool

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Everybody underrates Frost. He is, all things considered, our best tall defender. Reid is magic when fit, but is not really a tall defender as such. As a pure stopper, you'd always rather Frost (pace, aerial ability) or Brown (strength on the giants).

Reid is at his best playing loose across half back, where his ability to read the flight of the pill and take intercept marks, and especially his delivery by foot are major weapons.

Trouble is, if you play Brown ('coz no-one else has the strength to take Hawkins) and Reid (for his delivery through and past the centre) you have to leave out two small/medium defenders. I don't like that. For the first time this year, our defence looked like a defence instead of a rabble. OK, it was only Brisbane, but I'm loath to change a winning combination.

Howe is working well as a defender, but still has a lot to learn about shutting players down. That will come with time. Can we afford the time?

Selection in defence this week is very, very difficult. There doesn't seem to be a single best answer.

With no star midfielders due back in, and no-one out of form bar Greenwood (he will bounce back) and Crisp (slowly running back into shape), we shouldn't make any changes. As for the attack, leave it alone! Under no circumstances should Cloke play!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11   

Jump to: