Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Reaching out to former Nicks BB posters

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pep 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
but i still want Hal back, i love Hal, and seeing new posters fight with him made me spit my drink more than once!

I joined in 2018 when I moved back to Australia, so relatively new by Nicks standards, but I discovered this forum probably in 2014/15 while I lived in London, and became staple daily viewing.

But I remember being so confused by this HAL poster!! It took a little while to understand what was going on lol!!!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:26 pm

Hal has been replaced by 90nice
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:41 pm

stui magpie wrote:

i found Hal well educated

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:50 pm

Thanks for the encouragement TP, Skids and Pep, it's not wasted.

We lost Hal and the ignore button at the last server upgrade and I just haven't had the time to track down the problems. I'll give it another try.
Marvelos 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:12 pm

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

i found Hal well educated

Hal was an asshole.
1eyedpie Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:21 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Bring back Jack Spain, Mr Dapper Travis Cloke and Thompsoc,

And don't forget "Ray burns for pope" or did he get banned for his meltdown 🤔

BARRACK HARD!
swooper 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:24 pm

Mike wrote:
Woods Of Ypres wrote:
should never have implemented the 'invitation only' to sign up.
prevents new people joining
mostly only older posters around now

Nick's has never been invitation only - anyone can register. The home page says "You must be registered to post messages in these forums. Registration is easy and free. Register now." Invitations are issued to members so that they can invite others, but that's the only place that the word 'invitation' is mentioned. Registration codes were introduced because we were being flooded by spam bots; the code system eliminated them overnight.

The database supporting Nick's is currently 15 GB, holding posts going back to January 1999 (before some of our posters were born). Before that the bulletin board had a format similar to the one still use by Hotrod's Bullet 'n' Board. Those posts, going back to 1996, have been archived. It's a significant social archive and documents, from a fan viewpoint, the past 26 years of the Club's history. The Bullet'n'Board started when we adopted a new format and Hotrod, preferring the old format, left to start his own forum.

[rant]
Apart from occasional donation which, last year, amounted to a total of $50, and the time and energy contributed by the moderation team I supply all the resources that the site uses and put a significant amount of time and energy into its hosting and maintenance. I realise that Nick's is dated and has shortcomings when it comes to using it from phones, but at the moment I'm not inclined to try and find the extra energy, time and expense required to upgrade what is currently a working site when it's not valued enough by 99% of its members for them to contribute.

Nick's has spawned many new sites over the years, started by others doing it better - only the Bullet'n'Board has survived. Nick's carries on.
[/rant]

Thank you a thousand times over for all your hard work to keep Nick’s going all these years. It is very much appreciated 👍👏😊🙏
Return of the baldfacts 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:43 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
It's good. My only beef is when things are relegates to the "Other AFL" thread, which to me is a bit of a graveyard.

I'd love to have a "Other Round XX matches discussion" sticky in the general discussion. Especially now with these games being so important.

Agreed about threads being relegated to other AFL. Seems to be no rhyme or reason.
I started a thread about Collingwood’s top paid players according to the Herald Sun in their top 100 paid players. It was Collingwood specific, but mods relegated it to other AFL.

Not sure if it is just anything do with Rupert Murdoch or the Herald Sun that spooks the mods, but certainly no good reason was provided as to the shift.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:51 pm

¡Jack España vive!

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:29 pm

Mike wrote:
Woods Of Ypres wrote:

Nick's has never been invitation only - anyone can register. The home page says "You must be registered to post messages in these forums. Registration is easy and free. Register now." Invitations are issued to members so that they can invite others, but that's the only place that the word 'invitation' is mentioned. Registration codes were introduced because we were being flooded by spam bots; the code system eliminated them overnight.

The database supporting Nick's is currently 15 GB, holding posts going back to January 1999 (before some of our posters were born). Before that the bulletin board had a format similar to the one still use by Hotrod's Bullet 'n' Board. Those posts, going back to 1996, have been archived. It's a significant social archive and documents, from a fan viewpoint, the past 26 years of the Club's history. The Bullet'n'Board started when we adopted a new format and Hotrod, preferring the old format, left to start his own forum.

[rant]
Apart from occasional donation which, last year, amounted to a total of $50, and the time and energy contributed by the moderation team I supply all the resources that the site uses and put a significant amount of time and energy into its hosting and maintenance. I realise that Nick's is dated and has shortcomings when it comes to using it from phones, but at the moment I'm not inclined to try and find the extra energy, time and expense required to upgrade what is currently a working site when it's not valued enough by 99% of its members for them to contribute.

Nick's has spawned many new sites over the years, started by others doing it better - only the Bullet'n'Board has survived. Nick's carries on.
[/rant]

Respect to you for keeping the site going. I don’t have an issue with its usability.
I didn’t realise that there was only a total of $50 donated last year.
I’m happy to contribute some $$ for running costs and or improvements.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:44 pm

Mike wrote:
Woods Of Ypres wrote:

[rant]

[/rant]

Much appreciated Mike. Being an old fart I guess, I'm happy with the current format, however, if a make-over was undertaken, I'm sure most of us would be happy to contribute towards the costs.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:07 pm

By the way, if anyone does want to donate, here’s the link:
https://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:12 pm

David wrote:
By the way, if anyone does want to donate, here’s the link:
https://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm

Thanks David. All done!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:25 pm

Yes thanks David, Done , cheers
Pete 70 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:41 pm

Thanks Mike. Moving to Sydney in 2002, this place has become a godsend. I like the banter, the passion, the characters - I so want to meet Lazza, A
Rudeboy, David, Pieschness, Cam et al. one day because I feel like I know you all after years and years or well balanced, appropriate arguments. This place is grouse. Viva la revolution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13   

Jump to: