Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Heritier Lumumba about to launch a broadside at the club

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Geek wrote:

Yep.

I had parents that worked hard to give me a stable upbringing. They were pretty poor and spent most of the time arguing but sacrificed their own wellbeing for their kids. They made sure I read from an early age and pumped me full of good food and fought me tooth and nail away from junk food and junk TV. They put me forward for everything that they thought was good for me and always, always encouraged me to do and be my best.

I paid attention in class and stayed away from the dangerous types. I studied hard and got a partial scholarship to a school my parents still couldn't afford. They went without so I could stay there and pushed, cajoled and fought with me to keep at it when I wanted to quit.

I failed uni twice but came back after some time away and bagged a masters degree full time at nights while working a c*** of a job during the day. I paid full fees off my own bat that final time. I've fought anxiety, depression, ADD, OCD, substance abuse, am on the spectrum and have a degenerative back condition that limits my time in front of computers these days. Not so good when IT is your meal ticket.

Against all that, I turn 43 at the start of October with a fiance, a child, a modest mortgage and a spot at the table. I know I will never be CEO. I've been tagged geek and nerd and been pigeon holed as being "not good with people". But rather than sooking about prejudice have turned around and owned it. None of my friends or associates, in spite of being white men, will ever be on the board of anything. They have all had their struggles. They have all made do and fought and sacrificed to make it to their middle of the road jobs with middle of the road prospects. We've all done the 50 - 70 hour a week jobs. Some kicked on to work smarter, some continue to plug away because they need to to get where they think they want to go. White privilege? White fragility? What a ****ing insult.

This is exactly why Trump was elected. The Democrats claimed that everything was fair and dandy in the US, unless you were black, and those white workers who supported Trump in the US rust belt were white whingers who were ungrateful for their so called privileges.
What the Democrats conveniently forgot was that these same white workers had 8 years earlier voted en masse for Obama, a black president, falsely believing that he would bring an economic improvement to their lives. The "white privileges" lie is a right wing political lie promoted widely in the media in order to promote racism and division.
As for H, I don't think he is claiming that he is victim of "white privilege". I think he is pretty much justified in objecting to being called "Chimp". We should be asking why at the time H felt compelled to go public with his opposition to racism? Why did he feel that there wasn't a way for him to be heard sympathetically and with tolerance within the four walls of the club?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:57 pm

I used to feel sorry for Heritier and generally defended him, because I felt he was dealing with some deeply disturbing insecurity issues. I also admired his willingness to speak up on issues like racism and homophobia. However, at some point, when all he now tends to do is attack and denigrate those who have done more for him than anyone, he needs to be called out as a serial narcissist and person lacking any respect for others. I have spent years involved in campaigning against racism and for various social justice issues, however when someone like Heritier endlessly plays the victim card, it becomes an excuse to absolve themselves from responsibility for their own failings and an opportunity to personally attack good people. I used to love 'Harry', but now all I am feeling is disappointment in him as a person.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:25 pm

The irony that his celebrity girlfriend of the past Faustina Agolley has since come out as gay shouldn't be lost.

Funny how angst just seems to follow H.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:52 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
From WWOS:
Quote:
alleges he was called “Chimp” by Magpies teammates for years, a claim disputed by the club

So let's wait for corroboration before we believe his story.

Unfortunately, it seems they are disputing the duration, "for years", not the name called.
From the original article in The Age:
Quote:

Maxwell says of the "Chimp" nickname that Lumumba, with whom he was close, had never communicated to him that it hurt.
Collingwood on Friday said the nickname came about as a result of an incident at a party and was short-lived.

slangman 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:07 pm

K wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
From WWOS:
Quote:
alleges he was called “Chimp” by Magpies teammates for years, a claim disputed by the club

So let's wait for corroboration before we believe his story.

Unfortunately, it seems they are disputing the duration, "for years", not the name called.
From the original article in The Age:
Quote:

Maxwell says of the "Chimp" nickname that Lumumba, with whom he was close, had never communicated to him that it hurt.
Collingwood on Friday said the nickname came about as a result of an incident at a party and was short-lived.

The Chimp nickname needs context added to it.
Did they call him that because of his colour or because of something that he did?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:08 pm

I'm not certain whether I can give an accurate reply or not.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Quote:
Did they call him that because of his colour or because of something that he did?

No, I don't think it needs context.
Calling a black guy "chimp" whatever the context is dumb as $%%$.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:49 pm

We called a guy at high school Chimpy because he looked and acted a bit like a chimp. Red hair, white skin and covered in freckles. I get why its offensive to a particular human subset, but that's because of the popularity of Darwinism and the modifying of its conclusions.
slangman 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:04 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:

Not if the reason behind it has got nothing to do with his skin colour.

....is Heritier a racist because he seems to think that privilege is coloured white?

H needs to come forward and explain why he was given that nickname.

Chimping is a colloquial term used in digital photography to describe the habit of checking every photo on the camera display (LCD) immediately after capture.

The above term is why I think it needs context and explanation. It might just not be anything to do with his colour in which case I see no problem with that.

If it was about his colour, then that another matter

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:51 pm
Post subject: YeahReply with quote

Calling someone a chimp at a club where the President referred to a player as "king Kong" is ironic don't you think? In any case, I feel Harry gave us so much and we are so ungrateful. He deserves more respect.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:17 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I used to feel sorry for Heritier and generally defended him, because I felt he was dealing with some deeply disturbing insecurity issues. I also admired his willingness to speak up on issues like racism and homophobia. However, at some point, when all he now tends to do is attack and denigrate those who have done more for him than anyone, he needs to be called out as a serial narcissist and person lacking any respect for others. I have spent years involved in campaigning against racism and for various social justice issues, however when someone like Heritier endlessly plays the victim card, it becomes an excuse to absolve themselves from responsibility for their own failings and an opportunity to personally attack good people. I used to love 'Harry', but now all I am feeling is disappointment in him as a person.

THIS!!!!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:21 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:

+ 1.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:49 pm

^ All meaning depends on context. You rightly take certain wider context into account in decoding "chimp" to mean something racist, yet you deny context when it might disconfirm that it was so. Can't have it both ways.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ All meaning depends on context. You rightly take certain wider context into account in decoding "chimp" to mean something racist, yet you deny context when it might disconfirm that it was so. Can't have it both ways.

That's true however I'm happy to have a wager on the said context.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:55 pm

Yes I take certain wider context into account in decoding chimp to mean something racist you deny context when it might disconfirm that it was so.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 4 of 36   

Jump to: