Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welcome to Collingwood - Dale Thomas - Selection Number 2

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The work of Dale Thomas of the Gippsland Power, providing blistering pace and death defying skill, paid off as he was able to kick his first of four majors he would end up with. Thomas, named on the wing in the Team of the Year, has a lot of Adam Cooney about him in the way he reads the play and attacks the footy.

From http://sportsaustralia.com/articles/sep05/artid3809.html

Must say i don't mind the sound of that little jitty.

Quote:
The first goal of the second half came from the bottom of the incredible Dale Thomas, whose freakish goal, his third of the match, received a jubilant reception from the thousands in the crowd.

If he can run the midfiled and kick freaky goals, I would be more than happy.

Quote:
But it was to be the day of Dale Thomas and his Gippsland Power outfit. Thomas was able to put a nail in the heart of Dandenong when he kicked his fourth goal and the sealer.

That goal capped off a brilliant game from Thomas, who was rightly awarded the Best on Ground award as the Gippsland Power was able to come away with a highly entertaining fifteen point win.

Best:
Gippsland - Thomas, West, Flint, Ellis, Delphine, Dunne.

All sounds good. We took the punt as we knew he would not be around at 5. I think if you asked the Hawkes who they would take with pick 3, they would have said Thomas.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:49 pm

So are we saying we've taken the most consistent high quality midfielder in the draft as well as the most physically gifted athletic midfielder?

If so, no complaints from me.
leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:54 pm

pietillidie wrote:
So are we saying we've taken the most consistent high quality midfielder in the draft as well as the most physically gifted athletic midfielder?

from all reports, thats exaclty right (bar Murphy).

also, and i know some people may hate this fact given our 'good guy' policy, he seems like a brilliant kid.

give him number two and make him put some pride and flair back in the guernsey.
RayByrneForPOPE Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:13 pm

Daniel wrote:
RayByrneForPOPE wrote:
Ellis WILL come back and bite the Collingwood FC right on the ar*e in 2 years time mark my words. I watched this team play all year Dale Thomas is a midfielder he played midfield all year, Pendlebury the same, both good players but neither are in Ellis's class. I would have picked Pendlebury before Thomas, in saying that these are two good pick ups but in 2-3 years time when Ellis is the next Dal Santo of the league we WILL all be crying. I cant believe we didn't pick Ellis UNBELIEVABLE.

1 - Get EddieGold his ANTI-DEPRESSANTS.... sh*t get me some after reading his posts Crying or Very sad

2 - Ray.... where do I start. Your post seems to cantain more emotion than reason. If you have watched Gippsland play all year, how could you overlook the fact that Ellis is a STICK INSECT. He is a RECEIVER @ U18 level. Despite this obvious concern, you go on to say he'll bite Collingwood in the ar*e in 2 years time?! What on earth?! The only biting that will be happening is from Ellis trying desperately to add meat to his scrawney frame. He is genuinely 4 years away from having an impact at AFL level @ his weight. Think about it. If he is receiving at U18's what hope does he have against men who are on average 10 - 15 kgs heavier, taller, faster, fitter, more aggressive than he is used to. NOT MUCH. Del Santo was 5 - 8 kgs bigger when he started.... Del Santo has since filled out and learnt to win his own ball.... there are ZERO guarantees that Ellis will do either.

We'll see.
PS Josh Fraser was a STICK INSECT, he was a No.1 pick, and by the way after 7 years still is. He plays in the ruck and does ok?
Mr. Chairman 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:49 pm

pietillidie wrote:

Yes I am pleased as well.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:54 pm

Rapt! An awesome draft pick and a likely type to play some very good footy going by the write ups and previous form. Also his genuine joy to be picked up by the 'pies was terrific to see on TV. Laughing
EddieGold 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:53 pm

RayByrneForPOPE wrote:
Daniel wrote:
RayByrneForPOPE wrote:
Ellis WILL come back and bite the Collingwood FC right on the ar*e in 2 years time mark my words. I watched this team play all year Dale Thomas is a midfielder he played midfield all year, Pendlebury the same, both good players but neither are in Ellis's class. I would have picked Pendlebury before Thomas, in saying that these are two good pick ups but in 2-3 years time when Ellis is the next Dal Santo of the league we WILL all be crying. I cant believe we didn't pick Ellis UNBELIEVABLE.

1 - Get EddieGold his ANTI-DEPRESSANTS.... sh*t get me some after reading his posts Crying or Very sad

2 - Ray.... where do I start. Your post seems to cantain more emotion than reason. If you have watched Gippsland play all year, how could you overlook the fact that Ellis is a STICK INSECT. He is a RECEIVER @ U18 level. Despite this obvious concern, you go on to say he'll bite Collingwood in the ar*e in 2 years time?! What on earth?! The only biting that will be happening is from Ellis trying desperately to add meat to his scrawney frame. He is genuinely 4 years away from having an impact at AFL level @ his weight. Think about it. If he is receiving at U18's what hope does he have against men who are on average 10 - 15 kgs heavier, taller, faster, fitter, more aggressive than he is used to. NOT MUCH. Del Santo was 5 - 8 kgs bigger when he started.... Del Santo has since filled out and learnt to win his own ball.... there are ZERO guarantees that Ellis will do either.

We'll see.
PS Josh Fraser was a STICK INSECT, he was a No.1 pick, and by the way after 7 years still is. He plays in the ruck and does ok?

FACT - Xavier Ellis was the second best player in the draft - and we passed on him!
EddieGold 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:55 pm

Mr. Chairman wrote:
The problem is when Ellis turns out to be a top player you wankers will all be saying how we missed out on such a great player, even if Thomas is also a champion.

So wankers like Eddiegold are on a winnner because there's no way Ellis won't be good he's one of the best youngsters in the country.

Same as the Ball, Judd, Hodge crap. They're all good ffs.

We coulda picked them both up at 2 and 5. Instead we stuffed it up. I may be a wanker...but I am bloody good at it! Wink
foxychick Gemini

jay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:57 pm

no use cryin over spilt milk eddie gold whats done is done. lets support these boys
clokeysrevenge 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:58 pm

Yeah if we in fact wanted both Ellis and Thomas.

Obviously we wanted one of the first two picks (2 or 5) to be Pendlebury...and therefore had to choose between Ellis and Thomas.

Get the picture?
EddieGold 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:02 pm

clokeysrevenge wrote:
Yeah if we in fact wanted both Ellis and Thomas.

Obviously we wanted one of the first two picks (2 or 5) to be Pendlebury...and therefore had to choose between Ellis and Thomas.

Get the picture?

All I am saying is we stuffed up. I support all Collnigwood players but I also recognise time after time we make terrible drafting decisions. i also recognise because of these drafting decisions, we finished second last in 2004.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:28 pm

Cam wrote:
hairbear, the second coming of wearmouth, but i am very glad we took him... read the wiz's report on him, it will make you feel gooooood Smile

http://www.voy.com/51976/43771.html

go and read, then smile.

Yup, I'm smiling, Cam. Smile Again, sounds like the player we are in despirite need of.

Dark Lord wrote:
Johnson#26 wrote:
Weaknesses:
- Kicking can be a little untidy at times
- Below average in endurance tests at draft camp (both 3km and beep)
- May not be AFL ready straight up, wiry frame still. Could be more an outside type for starters who would play as a small forward.

The Weaknesses are a little concerning.

The endurance is something a good pre-season or two can easily fox. Much larger upside.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:30 pm

foxychick wrote:
no use cryin over spilt milk eddie gold whats done is done. lets support these boys

Exactly. EG, positive time of year yet you seem intent on being negative about everything. Fact - Roach, Nixon and Morrison are in the past. Get over it, and move on. Please. Its getting boring.

Quote:

FACT - Xavier Ellis was the second best player in the draft - and we passed on him!

Maybe, Thomas may be the one we needed/wanted more. There are always comparisons like this. You can't get the best of both worlds.
EddieGold 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:30 pm

he is like Didak. A false dawn. In and out of the play. Not consistent. Not a 30 possiession a game man, which we need.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:38 pm

How do you know Thomas would have been still there? How?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10   

Jump to: