Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Media Watch on Trump's ongoing war with the media:

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4627198.htm

As Republican senator John McCain says, this kind of behaviour is how dictators get started.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:14 pm

Bookmark this.

I predict that after 8 years of Trump, he will end up going down as the best POTUS in the past 40 years.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:09 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Bookmark this.

I predict that after 8 years of Trump, he will end up going down as the best POTUS in the past 40 years.

I doubt he'll last the 4 years.

Oh and George Clooney will one day run for the Democratic Presidential nomination. Shocked

You can bookmark that.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Bookmark this.

Stranger things have happened. Not much stranger, but then, everyone on the Left thought Reagan was a sleepy, deranged bomb-thrower until he negotiated the first real SALT agreements in years, and then came to be remembered as one of the great presidents.

There is one way that I could conceive this being true. Politicians, in general, do way too much. Indeed, I rather like the idea of de-professionalising them, so that they spend 75% of their time doing a real job of some kind - baking, bookkeeping or bussing pensioners to bingo - and about 25% sitting in parliament with the support of a few excellent research staff who summarise the decisive issues in proposed legislation. Their job should really be to argue for policy in the light of their constituents' interests and test legislation against reality. Since we made them government employees we have progressively isolated them from the real community and made them think they are managers, despite having almost no management skill.

Trump might be lazy enough to set some broad, clear policy direction and leave the administrators to get on with it - which was one of Reagan's great strengths. That might be a recipe for success. Of course, Trump is also egomaniacal and childish and petulant enough to want to interfere in everything. The issue with him is the vast tide of uncertainty and risk he carries in his wake.

Still, yes, bookmarked. I think you'll prove wrong, but it's far from certain.

Last edited by Mugwump on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:03 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Bookmark this.

I'd like to say we'll all still be alive in 8 years so I can say you were wrong, but I'm.not so sure of that...

More seriously, I doubt you'll ever be able to objectively demonstrate such a thing. Republicans talk about Reagan today as if he was the second coming of Christ, while progressives look at him as the president who entrenched the wage gap and ushered in the era of corporate dominance. Was he a great president or not? Was Obama? Democrats loved him, Republicans hated him.

And so it goes: many Trump supporters will remain in adoration of their man no matter how he screws the economy or damages international relations, and no matter how far he sets back environmental policy or civil liberties. The rest will, I think, look back on his tenure in office as a dark period in American history. I'm not saying that he can't have relative objective success or failure from hereon in, just that you'll never get any kind of popular consensus on him.

I think you'd have to go back to Franklin D. Roosevelt as the most recent president to be admired right across the political divide. Kennedy, Reagan and Clinton are perhaps the only ones since who have come close. Perhaps Obama will join their ranks with enough time and hindsight, but Trump? Pretty unlikely, you'd have to say.

Last edited by David on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:52 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Bookmark this.

I predict that Trump.. will end up going down .....

I agree with most of what you posted. Wink

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:43 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Bookmark this.

I'd like to say we'll all still be alive in 8 years so I can say you were wrong, but I'm.not so sure of that...

More seriously, I doubt you'll ever be able to objectively demonstrate such a thing. Republicans talk about Reagan today as if he was the second coming of Christ, while progressives look at him as the president who entrenched the wage gap and ushered in the era of corporate dominance. Was he a great president or not? Was Obama? Democrats loved him, Republicans hated him.

And so it goes: many Trump supporters will remain in adoration of their man no matter how he screws the economy or damages international relations, and no matter how far he sets back environmental policy or civil liberties. The rest will, I think, look back on his tenure in office as a dark period in American history. I'm not saying that he can't have relative objective success or failure from hereon in, just that you'll never get any kind of popular consensus on him.

I think you'd have to go back to Franklin D. Roosevelt as the most recent president to be admired right across the political divide. Kennedy, Reagan and Clinton are perhaps the only ones since who have come close. Perhaps Obama will join their ranks with enough time and hindsight, but Trump? Pretty unlikely, you'd have to say.

You forgot Eisenhower, who comes closest to FDR in terms of approbation across the political divide. People tend to forget, too, that FDR's reputation in the 1930s was far from golden. Politics then fractured in the 1960s and in-their-lifetime consensus is not likely to come again. Only historians are likely to establish anything like a consensus, and even there it will be partial, at best. They have been kind to Reagan as the beacon of Cold War resolution and the reinvigorator of American power, less kind to Clinton as the incontinent horseman of a false boom, and (just) positive toward Kennedy on balance. Time will tell on Obama, but I am confident that he'll be remembered positively for saving the economy after 2008, for health care and for overall integrity and competence in government. Being bookended by two baboons will probably help his reputation, too.

Last edited by Mugwump on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Bookmark this.

Given how wrong you were on the Iraq War and Abbott, is this your double-or-nothing roll to get back into the game? Razz

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:58 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Bookmark this.

Yep.

What a great speech Cool

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:10 am

And to think that I was dismissing it as mere twaddle.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/28/trump-congress-speech-policy-contradictions
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:54 am

It's still mind boggling to watch, to believe, but instead of thinking how fricken stupid they were to vote him in, the other parties should be looking at themselves, at the level of disenchantment with the ruling parties by the voters to actually even contemplate that this misogynist, racist, loud mouthed, cartoonish person might actually be a better deal. Hopefully they wake up before he turns the country to shit, hopefully some good comes out of it. It's the same reason why Pauline Hanson still gets her head in the papers.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:57 am

Who, specifically?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:37 am

Ok, I'd like to see that campaign!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4269856/Oprah-says-age-Trump-run-president.html?mrn_rm=rta

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:39 am

Oh a web page.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:16 pm

Skids wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Bookmark this.

Yep.

What a great speech Cool

Great speech... sure....

How to evade responsibility big time: First military action ordered by Trump & it's botched. Children don't accept responsibility:

"...Don't hide behind my son's death," Bill Owens told the Miami Herald, after refusing to meet Trump at Dover Air Force Base...."

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/donald-trumps-tribute-to-navy-seal-ryan-owens-shows-his-ignorance-and-cynicism-20170301-guoo4u.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 24 of 222   

Jump to: