Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Magpies v. Eagles. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, in one week our injury list has quadrupled.
The loss of Checkers is perhaps the worst, because it comes at a time when many of our reserve talls are also unavailable/out of form.
We have to hope that Kreuger can remain uninjured, and Johnson regains some more form, over the next week or two.
Not sure what we do about Checkers right now, as i don't think either Kreuger or Johnson are ready for senior selection yet.
Maybe we go back to last week's selection and play Noble at CHF Shocked

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:24 pm

Hmm no DeGoey, Mitchell, McCreery, Schultz or Mihocek. We’ve lost a lot of tackling and bullocking pressure plus. This is going to be a good test.

Replacing Checkers is the break glass moment for me however. We have no like for like replacements. Too soon for Krueger but we need a chop out mark to replace Checkers. Johnson and McInnes both small and lean and neither a big contested marking option at AFL level. Begg is our most competitive tall around the ground at VFL level although we’re stuffed in the ruck.

To me another marking tall / physical ruck type is an obvious short term target in the MSD if one available but it won’t help us for the next little while.

Assuming the rest of the team v Carlton retain the spots in the 22, we need to cover tackling, lead up fwd, marking fwd and pressure fwd pressure roles. Cox or Cameron will need to spend more time as a permanent fwd. Johnson or Begg could come in to provide support although neither ideal or in red hot form. Bit of a leap but they could play a simple role like Frampton in the 23GF.

Frampton could go forward and Dean could go back. Smaller ground with small eagles forward line though so we could just opt for Moore, Howe and Maynard playing tall. Without a genuine tall forward, the eagles could send McGovern forward. Equally we could send Moore forward leaving Frampton alongside Howe and Maynard to cover the two eagles Williams boys.

My selections below:

McCreery out : In McInnes
Schultz out : In Bytel. Harrison and Sullivan to rotate in Schultz pressure fwd role.
Checkers out : In Dean with Moore/Howe/Frampton to play stints up forward and down the line supporting Cox and McInnes and taking McGovern out of the play.

The last thing is the key. Much like Checkers did successfully against Weitering, we need someone to genuinely engage McGovern but the Marvel ground is so small and play can be so slow it’s going to be easy for him to side across and mark or affect the contest. We either need to fast break and kick over him or switch the play and kick to leading fwds on the 50. Will be a tough match the way we’ve played this year

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:25 pm

Think we have to try Howe forward with Reef and Cox to float forward frequently as well.
Markov stays in to help out with defence.
Sullivan and Harrisson in the 22.
OUT: Schulz (susp), Beau (inj), Checkers (inj)
IN: McInnes, Fin, Bytel
SUB: Bytel
Let's debut another one!

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:31 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:

Not sure what we do about Checkers right now, as i don't think either Kreuger or Johnson are ready for senior selection yet.

I think AJ's recent experience in the backline puts him fair and square into selection consideration. Tell him to play a defensive role but in the forward line. Don't worry about goals, just stop WC from intercepting.

WCE could very easily get the record for most intercept marks for an individual player and as a team.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:34 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
^

Yeah, good suggestion. That might take the pressure off him as well, and he might go ahead and kick 5 goals Wink

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:43 pm

I'd bring Begg in for checkers. He's got some speed, mobility and is good at ground level and unlike Krueger doesn't break every time he goes for a contest.

Bring him in, play him middle forward with instructions to bash, crash, fly at everything and if you can't mark it make sure you aren't outmarked and bring it to ground.

Reef in as well, Harrison and Sullivan to both start. macrae in as sub.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:23 pm

^

Boot:

"Unfortunately I don't see the upside of Joe Richards from his VFL form. He looks too small to be effective at the AFL level and doesn't have enough tricks to counter the lack of size & strength.[/quote]"

Retort:

You must not attend training or watch reserves matches. He has unique talent contrary to most modern day footballers. Kicks equally well on both feet, elite pace, bounces the ball with either left/right hand and footy smarts in his DNA. Welcome his debut and for fans to see him on the big stage.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:40 pm

^ Great news about Joe Richards, INXS.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:54 pm

While I understand there’s a lot more to forward craft these days than just hitting the scoreboard now and again, it’s interesting to note the forwards who will all miss this week only kicked 1 . 1 in total against Carlton.
We’re a team that play system over personnel, so the club will look to select replacements on both form and those who have a solid understanding of the system they come into. We also have a mid field that scores more goals than most, so I expect our midfield will contribute heavily in that area once again.( especially at Marvel )
Finally, if it is that both Yeo and Waterman miss this game ( and Noah Long is also a definite out ) then their outs and lack of depth will likely impact them more than our multiple outs.
DT 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:19 pm

I like Howe to go forward as he has forward craft and we can replace him with a mid tall or bring in Dean or else McInnes?

McGovern will be tricky to handle

My team

Harrison Elliott Hill
Howe Cox Lipinski

Sidebottom N Daicos/Pendlebury/Crisp J Daicos

Noble Moore Quaynor
Maynard Frampton Markov

Ruck Cameron

Int - Sullivan Lipinski Macrae Dean or McInnes

West Coast forward line is not super tall

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:22 pm

I like what Nickters are suggesting but
also like Carmichael who is a goal kicker.

The way we're going, we'll have 1/4 of the VFL side playing in the seniors.
Let's face it, our side will be weakened unless we play the system (as they say)
This is the shuffle we had to have...

We play: Wiggles, Crows, Dockers, then some of our best 22 players will start returning.

Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Mon May 06, 2024 8:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:29 pm

My team would not be dissimilar to the one selected by Boot.

B: Maynard, Frampton, Howe
HB: Quaynor, Moore, Noble
C:Sidebottom, Pendlebury, J.Daicos
HF: Hill, Johnson, Harrison
F: Elliott, Hoskin-Elliott. Cox
R: Cameron, Crisp, N.Daicos,
IC: McInnes, Markov, Lipinski, Sullivan
Sub: Richards

OUT: Schultz- susp McCreery & Mihocek (injured)
IN: Johnson, McInnes, Richards (debut)

The Eagles will come at us very hard, but the big-bodies of Yeo (midfield) and Waterman (forward) are big Outs for them if that is the case.

Older Nicksters would remember the occasions when Leigh Matthews would change up the forward structure by having Doug Barwick as a leading forward out of the goal square- I would like to see WHE at least start in that role on Sunday- If McGovern is on him, WHE should lead hard and fast and have his leads honoured.

Johnson has taken quite a few marks playing back (then forward) in the VFL the last two weeks- he must play CHF like Tarrant did in 2003 when he was All-Australian... run, run and run. An early goal or two might just be the thing that sparks his confidence.

McInnes is there if needed to complement a weakened forward line- he looks far better running into the forward line than out of it- He may be a rough chance to play as a tall wingman.

Richards plays- we have been energised by the inclusion of both Harrison and Sullivan these past two matches. Richards has pace, skill and is good with either foot- and he has the knack of scoring goals- he will be a good sub late in the game with his elite pace...

Of those I did not bring in I simply state this:

Krueger- got through the AFL unscathed (an achievement) but looked fairly rusty- will need at least one more game there to be considered.
Bytel- I thought looked fairly poor in the VFL- I doubt that he will crack a game unless we cop more injuries.
Carmichael- is an obvious choice as an on baller who kicks goals but does not displace Sullivan or Harrison.
Jath and Ryan Both raw and of the two- Jath looks closer to a debut- is not flustered by playing in the VFL but physically may struggle strength wise in the big time.
De Mattea- has played two good VFL games but is still developing- iy is already evident that he has football IQ that is impressive.
Dean- does not play forward and we have the talls covered in the back half
Allen- I would love to see this guy play on a big ground where he could showcase his pace. His hand balling is excellent, but he favours the dinky short kicks that Sidey uses which irritate so many on here. Needs to bulk up and show a ferocity in tackling when he is not in possession
Begg- I've noted elsewhere he is not in the frame as an AFL ruckman but if the Club want a big bodied lad to create contests in the forward half- he may be the man. At 197cms and 90 plus kgs, he is a unit and is very competitive at ground level for a bigger guy. He has just turned 21 and, in the absence of Steene for the majority of 2024, has a chance to come in and show his wares.

Sunday is simply a must-win for the Pies. Continue to win (we are the only team in the comp to be undefeated in the last 5 games) and we are still up to our necks in the fight for the top four.

As above, if Yeo and Waterman do not play, then we should be able to defeat a determined Eagles outfit.

Any win without Mihocek, McStay, De Goey, Mitchell, Schultz, McCreery are gold.
Player recovery/fitness is most important at any stage of the season. Jock McHale never played a player who wasn't 100%

Floreat Pica.

DT 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:46 pm

Waterman and Yeo are both out - that really helps
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:06 pm

With us now missing Mihocek, Schultz and McCreery, we will need to construct a new forward line for this game.

Cox will need to play mainly up forward. I'd bring in both McInnes and another debutant in Joe Richards. Obviously, Macrae will get another chance to prove his worth, though I would simply have him as the sub.

The Eagles are beginning to find some form, so this game is by no means a forgone conclusion, especially given our outs - JDG, Mitchell, Mihocek, McCreery and Schultz.

Nevertheless, I have confidence in our team and expect a 4-5 goal victory.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:03 am

Well injury & suspension will have an impact on team selection against WCE with McCreery and Shultz added to DeGoey & Mitchell plus I believe Checkers
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11   

Jump to: