Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jake Riccardi = You Idiot Hine

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, Cole looked pretty good in the late stages of 2003....as did Matthew Lokan!

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:16 pm

... but not so much in the GF! Crying or Very sad
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:42 pm

Rick wrote:
Word was we were going to select Riccardi with pick 51 but we traded that pick on draft night for pick 55 which we used on Ruscoe and GWS used 51 on Riccardi instead.

We were always going to recruit Ruscoe and GWS was always going to recruit Riccardi, but that’s not the point. If we had offloaded more players we could have drafted Riccardi at 51 and still got Ruscoe with a later pick.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:53 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
mattdally wrote:
Who did we pick instead of Riccardi?

no one. We passed on the pick.

Traded it and then took Ruscoe at Pick 55

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:03 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Rick wrote:
Word was we were going to select Riccardi with pick 51 but we traded that pick on draft night for pick 55 which we used on Ruscoe and GWS used 51 on Riccardi instead.

We were always going to recruit Ruscoe and GWS was always going to recruit Riccardi, but that’s not the point. If we had offloaded more players we could have drafted Riccardi at 51 and still got Ruscoe with a later pick.

Yep.
The point is not whether we got Player X or Player Y.
It is always part lottery with round 3 picks.
But by keeping players like Reid and Varcoe who were clearly cooked and/or over the hill then we only went to the draft with 3 spots.
And that is the issue.
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:23 pm

warburton lad wrote:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing and, although Riccardi would have been a more than handy addition to the playing roster, consider the following from the 2001 'Super Draft'

We picked Richard Cole at 11. Instead of Cole, we could have picked any one of these players: Dal Santo (Pick 15), James Kelly (11), Steve Johnson (24) Sam Mitchell (36), Leigh Montagna (37), Paul Medhurst (56).

Conversely, Daniel Hunt- Sydney- (Pick 53), Ben Robbins- Kangaroos- (54), Brent Colbert- Western Bulldogs- (57) were all taken with picks just before Collingwood took Dane Swan with Pick 58.

Amazingly- these players slipped through to the Rookie Draft that followed the National Draft- we could have had any of the following- Ben Rutten, Aaron Sandilands, Nathan Bock, Mark Jamar or Andrew Carazzo.

Instead, at that Rookie Draft, we took a bloke from Essendon's VFL team called James Podsiadly. He failed to play a senior game at the Pies, but played in a premiership winning team against us for the cats in 2011.

I'll stop there because it is doing my head in. Life is not an exact science but there is one thing I am certain of- I want our boys to belt the tripe out of Carlton today.

Floreat Pica.

I don’t want to do your head in any more, but that traded down number 11 pick was because Malthouse wanted Chad Morrison from the WCE. If we had kept our original number 7 pick we could have had Jordan Lewis.

I think it had more to do with the Hawks taking Bo Nixon
Off our hands. Greatest suck in ever.
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:24 pm

warburton lad wrote:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing and, although Riccardi would have been a more than handy addition to the playing roster, consider the following from the 2001 'Super Draft'

We picked Richard Cole at 11. Instead of Cole, we could have picked any one of these players: Dal Santo (Pick 15), James Kelly (11), Steve Johnson (24) Sam Mitchell (36), Leigh Montagna (37), Paul Medhurst (56).

Conversely, Daniel Hunt- Sydney- (Pick 53), Ben Robbins- Kangaroos- (54), Brent Colbert- Western Bulldogs- (57) were all taken with picks just before Collingwood took Dane Swan with Pick 58.

Amazingly- these players slipped through to the Rookie Draft that followed the National Draft- we could have had any of the following- Ben Rutten, Aaron Sandilands, Nathan Bock, Mark Jamar or Andrew Carazzo.

Instead, at that Rookie Draft, we took a bloke from Essendon's VFL team called James Podsiadly. He failed to play a senior game at the Pies, but played in a premiership winning team against us for the cats in 2011.

I'll stop there because it is doing my head in. Life is not an exact science but there is one thing I am certain of- I want our boys to belt the tripe out of Carlton today.

Floreat Pica.

I don’t want to do your head in any more, but that traded down number 11 pick was because Malthouse wanted Chad Morrison from the WCE. If we had kept our original number 7 pick we could have had Jordan Lewis.

scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:24 pm

warburton lad wrote:

Floreat Pica.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:46 pm

You win some, you lose some.
On the March 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:10 pm

The trouble is not that we have lost out on Riccardi - it is that for years we have failed to draft young key position players. Riccardi is just one to add to the pile.

In my view its cost us a premiership

Oh and to add to my despair natural forwards are natural goal kickers. Stevo has it , Elliott had it but Appleby, Cox and others dont. Have a look at some Leon or Didak highlights. They made the ball dance.

Last edited by On the March on Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
scoobydoo 

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/08/30/four-goal-giants-champion-data-ranking-raises-eyebrows
😂😂😂
scoobydoo 

After 2 games Dave hails the next champion.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:37 pm

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
To be fair, Cole looked pretty good in the late stages of 2003....as did Matthew Lokan!

Communism was going ok in the first quarter too.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:38 pm

masoncox wrote:
Rick wrote:

Yep.
But by keeping players like Reid and Varcoe who were clearly cooked and/or over the hill then we only went to the draft with 3 spots.
And that is the issue.

120%

Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:05 pm

inxs88 wrote:
masoncox wrote:
Rick wrote:

Yep.
And that is the issue.

120%

I know this might be crazy but I reckon the 2006 draft was the last year we went in with a solid strategy with our selections. Going into 2007 we were lacking in key positions and ended up picking up Reid, Brown and Dawes. All ended up premiership players and gave great service to the club. Since then it feels like a steady flow of random flankers, failed experiments and maybe 4 selections to genuinely hang your hat on - Grundy, Moore, De Goey and Maynard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: