Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Evaluating the trade period: how did we go?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So by my estimation we have about 12 going out if we include Wyatt and Goodyear and the following players coming into the team:
Mayne, Wells, Hoskin-Elliot, Dunn, Keeffe, Thomas and most likely Brown and Daicos.
We have preserved our pick 28 and lose next year's second round pick.
The first four are first 22 for me although Dunn will have his work cut out for him against monster full forwards. If Keeffe comes good, keeping Dunn in the VFL, that's still four additions to our first 22, making this trade period a productive and successful one.
Swan is the killer loss for me, who is irreplaceable, but Wells offers something Swan doesn't, namely sublime kicking skills. Hoskin-Elliot will give De Goey some competition on the half forward line. Mayne will add some defensive pressure to the forward line, which will hopefully make it harder for opposition defenders to take the ball out of our forward zone.
None of the players leaving apart from Swan are first 22 players any more, sadly even Cloke.
Our weakness are our talls in defence. We need Reid to play all 22 games next year. Keeffe is an unknown and Dunn is a bit of a plodder who knows how to do a job.
Our number one priority in the national draft will be to produce a key tall who can play in defence or attack. Hope we can do that with pick 28. Also our recruitment of experienced tall defenders is not finished yet. Let's see who gets delisted by the other clubs and maybe we can still score somebody in the national draft with a late draft pick.
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Dekka just made these comments on the AFL site.

Here's a selection of what Collingwood list manager Derek Hine said post the trade period. (Marley was on the way out so any pick a bonus)
On Lynden Dunn:
“We were mindful with Nathan (Brown) going out and Jack (Frost) going out and he’s proven that he can play tall and small, so we’re really pleased to bring Lynden in.
On Marley Williams:
“From our perspective, it was just doing the right thing by Marley. Otherwise, we were in a situation where we probably weren’t going to go on with him.
“We’ve had a lot of small defenders out with injury, guys like (Jackson) Ramsay and (Matthew) Scharenberg and I think that Marley realised he was a little down the back end of that group.
On Hoskin-Elliott:
“I think he’s going to be a lot more balanced back home, amongst family and friends. One thing that really stood out to us with Will was his performances on the MCG have just been really consistent and at a high level.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:58 pm

so who we select with pick 105
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:15 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Didn't he upgrade it after the WHE trade went through?

Yes, to a D, from memory.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Would you not use Pick 28 on the best available KPF at that point?
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:20 pm

Not bad I suppose, pretty good, Wells and Hosin -Elliott, are going to be great, and thank the Lord we did not get Vickery, biggest spud in the history of spuds, Clarkos first and biggest, mistake of his footy career. LOL

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:43 pm

GreekLunatic wrote:
so who we select with pick 105

Do we need to use picks to upgrade rookies (Keefee / Thomas)?

If so it may be one of them as it holds no points value.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:47 pm

I think Dunn will give us something and keep Keefe out of the team tbh, if they are competing for the same position that is.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:55 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

2016 is supposedly a strong midfielders draft (and deep, some say down to about pick 50) and 2017 a stronger KPP draft, but I guess it will all depend on who is available when the time comes.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:57 pm

Cam wrote:
I think Dunn will give us something and keep Keefe out of the team tbh, if they are competing for the same position that is.

Yeah Cam I've got a sense we will use Dunn & Howe are playing both talls and smalls and then use there better than average kicking skills to get us out of our defensive 50 quick smart. I can see Howe playing the 3rd man up role a bit as a spoiler or Dunn leaving his man and helping out.
They certainly improve our back half kicking for sure.
Dunn by memory has a tremendous boot on him like Reid and Howe so can see us going long down the guts for Treloar Wells Varcoe Pendles Sidey to run on to.
I think we've really improved our field kicking markedly in this trade period which opens the way for more attacking football.
We have also picked up some speed in Wells & WHE and some forward pressure in Mayne
I'm still thinking personally Sidey needs to play 70% of his game time next season inside 50 and work with Mayne on defensive pressure and kicking goals
If those small fowards can kick 20+ each and Moore and White 35+ each we've got enough goals from our midfield to be very competitive.
I think our defence will be better as well when Ramsay and Scharenberg get back.
MightyMagpie 

Cam wrote:

I was thinking the same and Dekka mentioned Goldsack as well (I like him for kickouts) when it was put to him that we lacked key backs. There was some talk about Keeffe going forward.

thompsoc 

I reckon it was a crap trade week for us.
Got nothing for a whole raft of players.
Picked up some more duds.
Picked up on a ageing rock star in Wells.
Pity it is not 2009 again.
Picked up Hoskin who didn't play the last 20 games
for GWS.
So that is a stab in the dark pick.
All i seem to see about him is that he went for pick 4 a whole 5 years
ago.1
He has done nothing else since.
Now the mongrels Hawthorn have got 2 top midfield players and a big man in Vickery that fits the hawks plan of drafting tall players ...that they can mark.
So Hawks are streets ahead of us ...again!
Still got marsh and blair who nobody wanted to trade even
pick 103!
So as I said before.
2016 ...a waste of a year.

Last edited by thompsoc on Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:59 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

2016 is supposedly a strong midfielders draft (and deep, some say down to about pick 50) and 2017 a stronger KPP draft, but I guess it will all depend on who is available when the time comes.

I say take the best player left at 28 no matter.
We can trade or draft for another remembering GWS have loads of talls coming through there academy in th next 2 seasons and they can't keep them all.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:00 pm

Jezza wrote:
winpies wrote:
We did better than what Terry Wallace said on Trade Radio - he gave us a D- from memory. Twit!!!

It was E+ actually.

Coming from the guy who was a part of the club who drafted Richard Tambling before Buddy in 2004 Laughing

I was invited by a client to a small function at Punt Rd during Wallace's first season as coach of Richmond. Wallace stood on a milk crate and addressed the room. He said that one of the reasons that he took the Richmond job was because of the strong state of its list. He specifically said that the list was far stronger than Ports' list, and that Port was going to be down for a long time. He said it was far stronger than the Whoreks list.

Each morning for the last week or so I have listened to him on the radio, analysing the trading and stating who has done well and who has not.

The problem with making such statements in public is that some people remember what was said in the past and then judge subsequent opinions accordingly.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:01 pm

inxs88 wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
Looking at young talent we have brought in last year and this year we have done okay I think:

Treloar (former priority pick)
Aish (former first rounder)
Sier (? on him right now)
Phillips
Wills
Crocker

Hoskin Elliott (former pick #4)
Pick 28 - should get a quality midfielder
Pick 44
Pick 51
Pick 62
Pick 65

Picks 44-65 should secure Brown and Daicos with the possibility of another draftee at 44 depending on when they get bid upon.

We go to the 2017 draft without a 2nd, but with a (hopefully!) upgraded 3rd.

Don't forget 105!

You missed 101 and 119!

Yeah, I ignored the picks with zero points value for now. They will either fall away or be used for rookie upgrades I imagine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12   

Jump to: