Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Aboriginality test changes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:

And I'm sure the Tannic one would chortle heartily at the remotest suggestion of Bud doing anything good as again it doesn't fit the narrative therefore it must be rejected.

Nah, you got it wrong. The stupid bast*rd got rolled before this years federal election. Can't do anything right.

Still, I'm glad he did bring in the captains choice of Royal Honours Sir Stui of Eltham.

Yours, Lord WPT of the very commons.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:13 pm

LOL. Very commons my arse. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Caulfield property millionaire more likely. Wink Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:34 pm

pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:
Gee thread title talks about aboriginal identity, not a mention of one in the last 10 posts! Ah, more politics, subject buried, sounds like Canberra

What would you like to inform us about Aboriginal identification or alternatively know on the matter?

"I am an aborigine you can't fool me!"

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:16 pm

To illustrate the point I made earlier, an Aboriginal activist at an Anti Australia day rally today is wearing a Tshirt with the Aboriginal symbol in the middle and a slogan that says "Say no to coconut dreaming"

Now that's obviously open to interpretation but coconut is an Aboriginal term for someone who's black on the outside and white on the inside. In other words an Aboriginal who's committed the sin of assimilating and is perceived to have lost their connection to their culture..

So, don't listen to the exact people who should be playing a role in discussions about reconciliation.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:48 pm

^Escaping the negative forces of one's culture/family/group is definitely one of the biggest challenges people face. Try to move forward, bitter old Aunt Joan tries to pull you back, or three people a week try to guilt you into giving them money, or into attending some get-together, or whatever.

Just thinking about the demands of group-oriented culture is draining. Korea has this, too.

But, as you cautioned, it may have little enduring or deep meaning. People go through stages, sometimes rejecting their culture (cultural cringe), sometimes asserting it (that T-shirt), with people at different stages often opposing each other: Cringer attacks asserter, or asserter attacks cringer. That kind of T-shirt could be an "asserter attacks cringer" scenario, or just ironic humour.

Having watched both Koreans and Westerners go through those cycles for so long, you start holding your tongue. If you read Korea expat forums, half of it is "I hate Korea, we are the best" versus "I love Korea, we are the worst" kind of stuff. The same applies when Koreans talk to you; sometimes hating on Korea, sometimes going all nationalistic. "Western men/women/whatever are the best" one minute. Next minute, "Western men/women/whatever are the worst".

The pendulum swings really are something to behold; taking a fairly neutral, philosophical stance on culture seems so hard for people.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:02 pm

great idea, and its paid off

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-17/new-generation-of-territory-cattlemen-come-of-age/7256234

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: