Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Syrian-born woman's visa to Australia revoked without reason

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Big deal - it's hardly a new thing - during the " Troubles" Irish people or those on Irish passports were all taken off planes on landing in Britain put in buses and transported for " interview" and extensive luggage searches.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:00 pm

Everyone is fingerprinted at LAX. They also take a retina photo. My family had to wait over an hour last time while I get taken to the interview room each time we visit the states (canabis possession charge from 1986, have to apply for a new visa every 12 months too). That's after an interview at the US embassy in Perth (quite aggressive also) that takes months to arrange..... and choof is legal there anyway!

No need to feel special.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:24 pm

^

Yep and Yep.

So she was questioned because she comes from Pakistan? Derr. Get over yourself, what do you expect, bouquets and keys to the city? Of course they're racially profiling as well as every other possible profiling.

Getting on a domestic flight in the USA is Insane. Shoes off, pockets empty (and I mean freaking empty) bags into the x ray machine and step into a full body scanner that picked up I'd missed a receipt in my back pocket.

Jim Jeffries makes a funny comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGGQWfLzkeE

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:24 pm

David wrote:
Born in Pakistan? Step into the room over here, please.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jan/15/greens-politician-mehreen-faruqi-subject-to-racial-profiling-in-us-airport

Ever heard of sleeper agents David? Imagine they let someone through they would otherwise have checked and that person Allahu Akbars a few weeks later.

Just as likely to be pulled up for being a Commie anyway, bloody whinging Greens.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:54 pm

Morrigu wrote:
^ Big deal - it's hardly a new thing - during the " Troubles" Irish people or those on Irish passports were all taken off planes on landing in Britain put in buses and transported for " interview" and extensive luggage searches.

Do you think that was justified, though? The fact that it happened or has happened elsewhere doesn't make it right.

Whether you think this kind of process is necessary or not, it's important to realise how it makes the people on the other end feel: disenfranchised, victimised and held with prejudice, I suspect.

Is anyone here also willing to defend security guards automatically following black Americans around grocery stores just in case they steal something? The same principle is being applied there, more or less.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:04 pm

^

Really long bow to draw Rolling Eyes

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:09 pm

^ It was a time when loons were running around indiscriminately bombing, maiming and killing - bit like now only now it is spread world wide!!

I don't need to imagine David I have an Australian and an Irish passport - I had the pleasure twice before I learnt (and I was luckier than the rest) travel into Britain on Australian passport!!

In the current state of play security has to come before people's fleeting moment of outrage and hurt feelings.

David Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Not really. The issue in each case is profiling and prioritising security over people's desire not to be treated with prejudice. Not sure how you can see the two things as fundamentally different.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:18 pm

David wrote:
prioritising security over people's desire not to be treated with prejudice.

And as a frequent flyer I am very happy and comfortable with that!

Hurt feelings will pass however a bomb on your airplane will see you pass.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:26 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Not really. The issue in each case is profiling and prioritising security over people's desire not to be treated with prejudice. Not sure how you can see the two things as fundamentally different.

I'm not sure how you can see them as the same so we're equal. Razz

And sorry, but profiling and prioritising security over peoples desires not to be treated with prejudice is exactly what I want from a security force trying to prevent people from blowing up planes. If her poor widdle feelings were hurt I'll giver her a box of tissues and a teaspoon of concrete.

David Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:48 pm

All very well for you to say, though, isn't it? Have you ever been systematically racially profiled on a regular basis? All very well to tell people to get over it but I'm sure it looks very different on the other side.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:56 pm

I genuinely don't care. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

In this case, the security and protection of the many outweigh the overly sensitive feelings of a self important twat.

Put another way, "It is the greatest good to the greatest number of people which is the measure of right and wrong." -- Jeremy Bentham

Last edited by stui magpie on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:58 pm

^ the difference between your analogy with people being followed in the supermarket is that the risk is different. Let's say there was evidence that most stealing was done by a small proportion of Fresians. Is it justified to follow all or most Fresians around the supermarket and search them ? No, because the consequences of a security failure - perhaps a stolen chicken - are not worth inflicting minor harassment on innocent people. But when we are trying to prevent the mass murder of maybe 300 people on a plane, the costs of "hurt" (actually minor inconvenience) of those inspected may seem a minor matter. So the analogy is rather flawed.

That said, there are real practical risks in racial profiling, because the terrorists know how to avoid it and so you are distracting yourself and leaving a space for them to walk through.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:01 pm

David wrote:
All very well for you to say, though, isn't it? Have you ever been systematically racially profiled on a regular basis? All very well to tell people to get over it but I'm sure it looks very different on the other side.

Oh FFS - we are talking about security at airports in a time when mental fckers blow up planes in the name of their " cause"

Security has to be paramount - end of Rolling Eyes

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Confused

Last edited by think positive on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: