Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Same Sex Marriage ban being challenged in court!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
BTW I've never bought the idea that people have kids to get the baby bonus. The things cost so bloody much that it's probably not worth it anyhow Wink

Never underestimate the ability of some people to think short term mate. The same logic aplies to the kids who are struggling on a single parents benefit who figure the best way to get more money is have more babies. Confused

Quote:
Makes me wonder if you can exchange siblings for money.

I'm sure a smart bloke like you could figure something out. Razz Wink

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:40 am

David, Rudd is a devout Christian with conservative values which he has never hidden in public life. The ALP is also quite conservative on many social issues, particularly in areas such as abortion law and same sex marriages where the party's strong Catholic base is influential. Why would you be surprised at the stand Rudd has taken on this issue?
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:20 pm

member34258 wrote:
Just on "generalizations" David wrote;
Quote:
I am suggesting that Rudd should be representing his 'half' of Australia better.

So Rudd's "half" includes all the homosexuals? That the result to be drawn from this statement considering it referred to Rudd joining Howard in opposing same sex marriage.
I think you may be surprised just what constitutes Howard's "half".

What, only homosexuals support homosexual rights?

Let me articulate my point more clearly:
a) same-sex marriage is a controversial subject where, as far as I am aware, there is no clear-cut majority on either side.
b) many, but not all, who support same-sex marriage would vote Labor. I would suggest that most of those who are strongly opposed to it would vote Liberal.
c) If Rudd was genuinely trying to represent those who vote for him, he might be more hesitant to support Howard on this issue. Admittedly, I am surprised that he did come out and say it, as you would have thought the majority of the Labor caucus would disagree with him. Then again, who knows?
d) Rudd is not particularly interested in the voters left of him, because he knows they're going to vote for Labor anyway (or give them their preferences). Therefore, it appears he is trying to gain some of Howard's conservative vote, and is afraid to alienate them. Hence his support of Howard on this issue.

And in response to your post, my best friend is more right-wing than I am Razz So, no, I wasn't suggesting anything of the kind.

Robbo.D.yobbo 

The Toovinator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:32 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
I have nothing against them

what do you mean THEM??!?!?!?! trying to single them out are we???...haha
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:24 am

My understanding of the issue Tess, is that it's more about official recognitian of the relationship than any symbolic guesture.

A same sex couple can have a committment ceremony and wear rings if that floats their bot, but it's not recognised by the government anyomer than any other defacto couple.

The key differences between a defacto couple and a married couple (regardless same sex or not) as I understand it are:

Recognition as next of kin
Access to assetts upon death
Division of assetts upon separation

There's probably more, including the effect on immigration if one is trying to bring their defacto into australia to live.

Personally, I'd like to see the laws changed to recognise the rights of defacto couples, same sex or otherwise. That might settle a lot of the issues.

Syd_Magpies_Girl Gemini

The Russell Street Pole Dancing Bogan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:29 am

David, I can count 10 girls I know in Newcastle that fell pregnant at the age of 18 and 19 so they could get the baby bonus to make modifications to their custom cars. It's not a myth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: