Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#10 Scott Pendlebury

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 3:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Good call. Life expectancy at birth in Australia in 1875 (Ted was born the following year) was 35.64 years. He died in 1965, reaching 89.

He was also a classic mature age recruit. From his Wikipedia entry, it seems that:

He was born at Vaughan in the Victorian Goldfields and moved to the WA goldfields in his teens. He must have been some athlete - he played cricket and footy and was a gun sprinter - apparently, he once narrowly lost a 100-yard dash to the reigning World Champion in a race held at halftime in a Collingwood game he was playing!

He joined us in 1901, at age 24 - and promptly played in the 1902-03 back to back flags, as a forward. He kicked 151 goals in his first 5 seasons (between 1901 and 1907 - he missed 1904 because he went back to WA and could not get a permit to play for us in 1905). Along the way, he kicked 3 goals in the 1902 GF victory over Essendon (Essendon also kicked 3 goals). The fabulous Dick Lee arrived at Collingwood in 1906 and in 1907, Ted was moved to fullback (probably late-ish in the season - he did kick 25 goals that year).

He is credited with being one of the first "truly attacking full-backs". He is, I suspect, probably one of the few players in history to win 2 flags as a KPF and another as full-back. In 1910, an article in The Argus credited him, along with Charlie Pannam and Dick Condon, as the first players to adopt the "stab kick". They first exhibited the technique, it seems, in Tasmania in 1902, pre-dating Barry Price's particular excellence at it by 6 decades.

He retired at the end of 1914 but, remarkably, came out of retirement to play the 1915 Grand Final (a loss), his last game for the Pies.

It seems he was also once attacked by a small dog during a game (a Richmond supporter, probably).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Rowell_(footballer)
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 5:16 pm

A stat on the wireless the other day noted Pendles' first quarter was his 9th best either statistically or using those confounded points systems.

The fact he has played nearly 400 games x 4 quarters, so approx. 1600 quarters is quite amazing.
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:37 pm

I clicked on this link, with the mind to say, 'I reckon he must have had a niggle through last year, because this year he has gained a new lease of life.'
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:21 pm

Charlie Oneeye wrote:
I clicked on this link, with the mind to say, 'I reckon he must have had a niggle through last year, because this year he has gained a new lease of life.'

I also think he was used in different positions last year, often in defence or up forward. This year, apart from our first 2-3 games, he has been positioned firmly as our midfield general, where he has always played his best football.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 10:27 pm

With Pendles our this week means his 400th game will now be a away game (at the MCG) to Hawthorne
Does he miss another week somewhere before that to allow it to be a Collingwood home game the following week (v Richmond) so all Collingwood season ticket holders get first priority for being there for this milestone ?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 1:07 am

What exactly is the injury to Pendles? Is it the arm he injured in the last qtr against Freo?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 4:33 am

RudeBoy wrote:
What exactly is the injury to Pendles? Is it the arm he injured in the last qtr against Freo?

I’m assuming so rude
I thought at the time was a hyper extension of the elbow
I’m guessing it has to be a little more serious that appears from the reports as Pendles rarely misses for minor injuries snd given our current injury list he would have been aware of how valuable he was to our chances
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 7:40 am

If Pendles is out I’m guessing it is much more serious and simply not worth the risk. He played with rib injuries earlier in the season. I’m sure Pendles has had a history of coming back from broken bones / fractures after a 2 week break. I’m sure he did that twice with a fracture in his leg.

I wonder if this means he misses just this week or if he comes back after the bye too. We all wanted him to have a rest earlier in the season. Better he gets right for the back half of the season top 4 assault

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:08 pm

Pendles out til after the bye

That means he’ll play 400 against Carlton. A week later and it’s against the Swans at the SCG

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 3:14 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Pendles out til after the bye

That means he’ll play 400 against Carlton. A week later and it’s against the Swans at the SCG

That won’t happen it will be played at the MCG he will miss a extra week if needed
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 3:41 pm

Just read the latest update on CFC website re Pendles' biceps injury. It says that he was given the all clear to train despite the scan picking up a slight strain in the biceps. It was during training that the damage was done and he suffered a partial tear.
I would have thought that we would have exercised more caution with our veteran superstar and given him time off rather than letting him train with a clearly visible strain in the muscle.
This, and the decision to rush Checkers back, seem somewhat out of character for our injury rehab management processes over the last 2 years. P2016 observed this in commenting on how Checkers was reinjured after a quick return. I did not think so much of it at the time, but now this setback to Pendles has me wondering whether our normal cautious decision making in regard to injury recovery is being affected by the pressure of our mounting injuries.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1567808/pendlebury-injury-update

piffdog 

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 5:50 pm

^^

a) we're all experts in hindsight - you never hear of the instances where the club take a calculated risk and the player gets through unscathed
b) we're all experts on the outside
c) of all the players in the team, Pendles gets to make his own fitness assessments

If we were 10-2 we are a little better placed to rest players 'out of an abundance of caution'.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:39 pm

If Pendles said he was fit to play, then he was. End of story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137
Page 137 of 137   

Jump to: