Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who will coach Collingwood?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 156, 157, 158  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you want as our next coach?
Ross Lyon
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
Alistair Clarkson
24%
 24%  [ 43 ]
Brad Scott
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
Mark Williams
19%
 19%  [ 34 ]
Michael Voss
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Adem Yze or Sam Mitchell
19%
 19%  [ 35 ]
Blake Caracella
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Scott Burns
8%
 8%  [ 15 ]
Craig McRae
11%
 11%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 178

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
Ryan on Harvey:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-the-magpies-turned-to-robert-harvey-as-caretaker-20210610-p57zt9.html

Interesting article. The following was the clincher for me:

"Harvey’s line meetings aren’t passionate affairs but are detailed and precise in their analysis with players clear on what needs to be done as long as they can find inspiration within to do what needs to be done."

Once again, his instructions are precise as long as players can find the inspiration to enact them. (Seems similar to Bux's vision)

Not what we require right now. We require a coach like Fagan, who does not just leave it up to the players whether or not they can find the inspiration to carry out the plan. His manner, his empathy and connection with the players makes them desperate to carry out his instuctions. Go out and find the man, Pies. He is out there, we just need to find him.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:01 pm

Just as 100 years of history was against Buckley it is against Lyon (and Brad Scott).

Lyon has held the role of senior coach for 13 seasons across 2 clubs and no coach has ever won their first flag beyond their first 9 years in the job.

Just like Buckley he also suffers from the double whammy that he also lead Fremantle to 4 consecutive non finals appearances and only 1 coach (Malthouse top 5 era) has ever done that and still gone on to win their 1st flag.

While I think Lyon has coaching talent I'm not prepared to bet against all that history, while we should also carefully consider that the AFL is already looking at ways to improve scoring, reduce congestion and I wouldn't rule out future rule changes to reflect that desire.

Do we really want to employ a coach seen as being ultra defensive in his mindset within that landscape?

It's a pass for me on Lyon.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:25 pm

I strangely don't feel wedded to any one candidate. I guess I just feel rejuvenated as a Collingwood supporter right now, I'm hungry to see what a new approach can provide our group and happy to accept the outcome of the process we follow (even though I'm not enamoured by the thought of either Lyon or B. Scott).

Like other posters you do feel if we end up going for a first time senior coach (which I hope we view as an option) then we need to make every effort to secure an experienced assistant that's come from a recently successful program.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:47 am

I can't believe there are people seriously suggesting:

* Hird (would love to hear someone try to explain this one)
* Maxwell
* McGuane

and to a (much) lesser degree

* Burns

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:17 am
Post subject: Re: Graham Wright and how we move upwardsReply with quote

Redlight wrote:
I think it's highly likely that Wright will side with keeping Buckley as senior coach. Then all this nonsense that he was only there because of McGuire can be consigned to the rubbish bin of history.

"Ticket number 37, your humble pie is ready"

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:03 am

swoop42 wrote:
Just as 100 years of history was against Buckley it is against Lyon (and Brad Scott).

Lyon has held the role of senior coach for 13 seasons across 2 clubs and no coach has ever won their first flag beyond their first 9 years in the job.

Just like Buckley he also suffers from the double whammy that he also lead Fremantle to 4 consecutive non finals appearances and only 1 coach (Malthouse top 5 era) has ever done that and still gone on to win their 1st flag.

While I think Lyon has coaching talent I'm not prepared to bet against all that history, while we should also carefully consider that the AFL is already looking at ways to improve scoring, reduce congestion and I wouldn't rule out future rule changes to reflect that desire.

Do we really want to employ a coach seen as being ultra defensive in his mindset within that landscape?

It's a pass for me on Lyon.

Speaking of history, I saw somewhere (may have been on here?) that only one premiership coach in the past 17 years had had a coaching position at a previous club – guess who. So unless you take all of this stuff with a grain of salt (and I kind of do), that would suggest an untried coach, not a former premiership-winning coach, is the way to go.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:02 am

Craig McCrae might be another applicant for the position and he’s had a diverse and thorough apprenticeship.
David Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:47 am

Following on from my post above, there have been 62 senior coaching appointments (i.e. not counting caretakers) since the beginning of 2000, 48 at their first club and 14 who have been a senior coach at another club. Of the first group, nine (or 19%) have so far gone on to win a premiership (for a total of fifteen premierships); of the second group, just one (or 7%) has done the same. So if that’s anything to go on, you’re almost three times more likely to win a flag with an untried coach.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:07 am

I want someone who hasn’t been a senior coach at AFL level, but has been assistant and proven they have what it takes. He was a prick of a player, but Sam Mitchell is one. Caracalla. Longmuir would’ve stepped right in and given a contract if he was still at the club. We need to go outside the box.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:31 am

Again I think it'll be Mark 'Choco' Williams, he ticks every box... despite his personality. I'm not a romantic when it comes to football and I'd personally give him the job on merit but imagine it if he actually made it work, rebuilt the Pies and we won a few flags. Now there's your fairytale.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:39 am

we just need a development coach to manage the team through a rebuild. once we get a great list, then the best coaches will line up for the chance.

One thing though, we need something (a slogan or something), to keep the idiot supporters calm through the rebuild (And i want a full rebuild. Bottom 4 for next 4 years please. Get rid of anyone older than Darcy Moore (other than Brodie Grundy) for whatever you can get and lets get 8 top 10 picks to the club.)

Maybe we could all just say "Trust the Process"!! We could even nickname Nick Daicos "The Process"

So whenever we feel bad about being so shit, we could all just say Trust the Process.

4 years from now, we get a world class coach., we pick up two free agent stars (a key back and a key forward) and we go win flags!!

David Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:24 pm

“Trust the Process”: Carlton 2002– Laughing
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:48 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Craig McCrae might be another applicant for the position and he’s had a diverse and thorough apprenticeship.

Interesting one….from all accounts was pivotal to Tigers success….would be an interesting foil for Choco to combine with and handover fully after 2 years….f$#k knows we’ve made that work in the past successfully 🙄

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:59 pm

Not quite right, Rd 10 - it may actually have been consigned to the rubbish bin of history with "CONFIRMED" stamped in red across it.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:05 pm

I don't understand why some of you guys have got it set in your mind that some people are too old to coach? if anything they're better placed to do so, specially with the way football teams are now realising they need to restructure their football departments. Aren't like NBA, Soccer or American Football coaches selected on merit and it rarely has anything to do with age... hummm.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 156, 157, 158  Next
Page 13 of 158   

Jump to: