Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How about this guy? (Recruiting target?)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

warburton lad wrote:
I would target Tom Lynch from Adelaide- 192cms and 87 kgs- a smart footballer- on a 2 year deal.

Would retain Callum Brown and play as a rover- would also play Tyler Brown in the centre- not quick enough for a wing- plays a similar style to Jarrod Lyons from Brisbane.

Murphy must play in the back half- would have Keane over Madgen any day of the week.

The problem the Pies have in terms of younger players is a universal concern in the league- the lack of a consistent second-tier competition for 2020 and 2021 has denied many young players the opportunity to hone their skills by playing matches against grown men.

A rhetorical question: How much better would Murphy. Bianco, Rantall, McMahon, Kelly, Tohill, Keane, Wilson, Chugg, Ginnivan etcetera be if they had the exposure required & essential for them to develop??

The same would apply to other players on the lists of other clubs.

We have retained Lynch which would make one wonder what our plans for Cameron and Cox are.

We know that Mayne and Greenwood won't be Pies in 2022- one wonders who may join them as ex-players...

Love the use of the word ROVER. So 1987!

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:45 pm

MJ23 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
warburton lad wrote:

The problem the Pies have in terms of younger players is a universal concern in the league- the lack of a consistent second-tier competition for 2020 and 2021 has denied many young players the opportunity to hone their skills by playing matches against grown men.

A rhetorical question: How much better would Murphy. Bianco, Rantall, McMahon, Kelly, Tohill, Keane, Wilson, Chugg, Ginnivan etcetera be if they had the exposure required & essential for them to develop??

The same would apply to other players on the lists of other clubs.

W L I have been trying to sell this point all year in multiple posts.
The other point that needs to be added into this conversation is that the interstate draftees weren’t as impacted as the Vic draftees because a lot of their ( junior ) comps got footy into them in 2020. Four of our first five picks in last years draft were Victorian.
You can also add the advantage that comes with N S W academies being run by the Swans and Giants, as opposed to the Vic aligned junior clubs who are run independently by their own administration eg Dragons, Chargers.
No wonder all the early Giants and Swans early NGA selections look so good in their first two years.
Any Vic club who has invested heavily in the draft over the last two years, particularly in Vic kids, is really playing catch up for a year or two against all other the clubs who didn’t.
It’s worth noting the breakdown of our last two drafts and who were the local kids who we selected - Bianco, Rantall Henry MacRae McInnes McMahon Begg and Ginnivan. Non Victorians include Ruscoe Poulter McCreery Johnson and Chugg ( three of those have all shown something already and are all later picks ) Then add Kelly who hadn’t played footy for almost three years and there’s plenty of room for upside. We won’t make up that list development in a year but when we eventually do, I reckon our improvement will come with a real rush.

The NSW Academies get a lot of development through training, not so much games. This year was the first year the giants and swans squads played a few games against some tac cup sides.
There is a big gap in development. My son is in an academy and Id rather he was in a TAC cup side - but we live here.
As much as the NSW academies are spoken about, they still only produce 1-3 kids for the draft a year. This I think is a flaw in the current system.
There are far more kids drafted from Vic under their system.

That’s interesting, given that you’re obviously involved within the NSW system. As I understand it, the NSW prospects work closer with the Giants and Swans players and development staff than the Vic kids in their systems.
That would make sense since it is under the Swans and Giants umbrella.
Conversely, the Vic U19s have their own clubs coaching and development staff, so they aren’t gaining the same level of access to Collingwood people on any regular basis. It also didn’t help in 2020, if you lived in Vic, there weren’t many days when you could even have a kick of the footy in the park with a few mates.
I think the NSW academies have produced a pretty decent return on the back of both NSW clubs involvement. They mightn’t be in big numbers but kids like Heeney, Green, Campbell, Blakey, Briggs, Shipley ( ? ) and Gulden strike me as a fair return in recent years for a non footy state.
The future of the NGA academies as we know them will be interesting. The funding has been watered down and the new NGA rules will likely dilute the incentive to continue investing as heavily.

More importantly, good luck to your son. May his journey be both fulfilling and enjoyable every step of the way.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:59 pm

^ Both the giants and swans have a Academy coaching group. they dont work closely with the senior AFL group at all.

For Giants, the head is Saddington and he is the only coach with professional AFL experience. Not one other coach / player or staff from the giants has anything to do with the academy. What's harder for the giants is that their "zone" extends to ACT, Albury and Wagga. That means it is actually 3 satellite academies with local coaches. As the boys get older and the numbers are cut the group rarely train as one team.

Swans are a little different - they have Crouch and Nick Davis with professional afl experience. They set up in three groups but much closer in geography and play far more intra clubs spending more time together as a team. Again though, the Swans senior program has very little to do with them.

While you listed some talent, still you are talking about 1 or 2 a year vs 20-30 vic kids. Syd will always produce talent by sheer weight of population as they did with Lenny Hayes, Kieren Jack, Mcveigh bros, P Kelly among others etc all developed and recruited without an academy system.

These club academies are only after the 1 or 2 a year. IF the AFL ran them and the talent entered the draft pool for all, I reckon they would be developing more each year.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:46 pm

MJ23 wrote:
Swans are a little different - they have Crouch and Nick Davis with professional afl experience. They set up in three groups but much closer in geography and play far more intra clubs spending more time together as a team. Again though, the Swans senior program has very little to do with them.

That's an interesting choice of personnel...

I guess it's "Do what I say, not what I do".
K 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:49 pm

inxs88 wrote:
warburton lad wrote:
Would retain Callum Brown and play as a rover- would also play Tyler Brown in the centre- not quick enough for a wing- plays a similar style to Jarrod Lyons from Brisbane.

Love the use of the word ROVER. So 1987!

It's sad the true rover became extinct. (But that happened somewhere in the 90s.)

It's even sadder that no one seemed to give a stuff.

Crying or Very sad
K 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:51 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
What about Levi Casboult then? Just been delisted by Carlton. He might want to play on and we need experienced forwards.

I guess Carlton feel they don't need him as backup ruck now they have Jack Silvagni for that. Shocked Wink
derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:01 pm

I think some need to cut Murphy some slack. First year he has gotten his body right and started to play senior football, and what a shit show of a year to get the chance. He deserves another year. He is also only 21.

And I think both the Brown boys showed a bit this year and need another year.

Greenwood, Mayne, J.Thomas, Cox, Sier - is five gone you would imagine.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:31 am

K wrote:
MJ23 wrote:

That's an interesting choice of personnel...

I guess it's "Do what I say, not what I do".

Yeah hes been involved for a while now - Kids I coach that are in swans academy really rate him.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:34 pm

Ed Richards signs with Bulldogs
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:54 pm

inxs88 wrote:

ah, well - too bad then.

But grab Mitch Wallis, if the drums start beating...

themonk 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:12 am

piedys wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

ah, well - too bad then.

But grab Mitch Wallis, if the drums start beating...

Wallis is a no brainer for our young squad, big bodied experienced leader who can also kick goals.

Also think that Coleman-Jones is worth a gamble, if the price is right that is.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:24 am

we are flush with half backs and Ed has proven this is his only position.

I also would look at Wallis - Hes 28 and experienced bigger body that can protect some of the kids as they develop for a couple of years.

derkd 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:03 pm

You know what I have always admired about Graham Wright...his silence at this time of year...nothing leaks, but you know he is working on something out of left field. Landing Gunston a few years ago at the Hawks was a master stroke.

I am not expecting anything big out of the trade free agent space this year...due to having no picks and no cash.

But I am already excited about what he can do once we have some stability and cash in the cap. 2023* will be already in the planning.

*Almost typed 2223, could he be planning 201 years into the future? Our cyborg line up will be amazing....Cyborg T.Cloke with upgraded marking capabilities Laughing ...they still haven't resolved the software floor in his kicking programme.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:27 pm

piedys wrote:
Haff wrote:
I’m sick of talking about any trade. We have no money. Have no fear, we will dump another star Treloar style this trade period.

Then we can look at Riccardi, Fiorini, Wallis, Caddy, Jenkins... basically any big body or ball winner we can scam for next to nothing, or a delisting....

Less than three hours to go, and not getting any names ticked off my August shopping list at this rate! Mad

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:54 pm

*mods please merge with other trade thread.

Lachlan Keeffe anyone, out injured today.

IF, and I do say IF Keeffe gets axed by the putrid GWS, surely to f%ck he would be a better option, and cheaper, than McStay?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12   

Jump to: