Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Do you think AFLW will last?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think AFLW will last?
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 37 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 57

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Its over for me. Couldnt get into it and I found the ONLY thing that was keeping me interested is that there was a game of football being played and one of the teams was Collingwood FC.

The game is slow,
Low scoring is boring - imagine the scores in the depths of winter on wet grounds. Numerous quaters & halves with none, one or two goals!
Disjointed - players are not as fit as they should be (Yes I know they are amateurs) and yet to grasp game plans or be able to execute.
Poorly umpired - its like the umpires are umpiring under 10's and just letting 99% of the mistakes that would normally be given a free kick let go.
Low skilled. Compared to the elite men, I know its not apples & apples but still its painful to watch. Better skills in local footy makes it easier to watch than the women.
I actually think 16 a side is detrimental to the game - 18 players allows link up play (especially with the shorter kicks as the girls cant kick over 40m) and reduces the amount of running they do meaning the girls can run out a game better.
Combine with unlimited interchanges and 8 on the bench meaning players will run out the game better.
They need smaller grounds - even with 18, shorten the ground and encourage the coaches to coach an open game - maybe zones of 2f+2b inside each forward 40m arc. From what I can see this happens anyway because they dont have the endurance of the elite men.
Then again , maybe smaller grounds will allow 16 a side to work better??

And as someone above said, if you are getting welfare handouts from the AFL you shouldnt be spending it on AFLW teams.

I am not sure if I am happy that we are spending money and allocating resources to the AFLW and Netball when 99.9% of our supporters are mainly interested in the Mens AFL Premierships.
We say, like all clubs, that we exist to win premierships. Whilst all these other things are nice, how does all this stuff help us win them???
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:37 pm

think positive wrote:
What will surely last is people who don't like something continuing to waste e their time talking about it! Such negativity over something that has zero effect on you whatsoever, life is too short! Will your headstone say 'I told you it wouldn't last'. But then at least that will be partly true!

Great call! Having been an Auskick coordinator for a number of years I'm positive it will last - and people will pay. In fact to be honest I'm astonished they haven't put even a $5 per ticket. Surely any revenue is better than none. That would still be affordable for a family of four.

We actually had Brianna Davey come down our Auskick centre and help out for a number of weeks and trust me the response from the little girls was phenomenal. Give the women a few years and their skills will be leaps and bounds from where they are now.

I watched about a half of last night's game.... you know what I saw ... footy! Sure there was a bit of kick and hope about it but so effing what? I also saw some glimpses of great skill that will only increase in time. Seriously. I think it's awesome for our sport.

Also... how many men's game last year were essentially unwatchable because of the keepings off BS that most teams roll out... and rolling mauls. I'll take one on one contests any day.... and I'll watch the men's Pies as fervently as ever.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:53 pm

I've posted these thoughts elsewhere, but far more relevant in this thread here and as a further discussion point to Culprit's excellent post on the first page.

King Monkey wrote:
Massive concerns about the quality - I really think they've jumped the gun in riding the wave of positivity. People will certainly check it out, but my concern is the interest will wane very quickly when the lack of quality is exposed.
There are some really good players amongst the women, some decent players after that, but the quality drops off fairly dramatically once you've penetrated the surface.

I believe there should have been an announcement about getting the professional league up and running by, say, 2019, and then gone and pumped mega recourses into an elite junior girls completion/training programs, plus extra support for the VWFL and equivalent state leagues in this time.
Then you have a quality competition that hits the ground running and less of a "drop-off" factor from viewers once the novelty wears off.

King Monkey wrote:

One of the attractions was going to be a return to a position based, free-flowing style of footy that a majority of supporters would prefer to watch over the tactical, defensive games we're subjected to at AFL level.
Sadly, judging from reports of the initial practice matches, we're going to have to put up with the overcoaching that has just about ruined the game.

It has been extremely frustrating to see every player on the ground in one half of the field, especially when considering the fact the women can't kick as far or run as fast as the men. It kills the spectacle big time.

Collingwood specifically is very poorly coached at the moment. (I'm not usually a "coach-basher" either).
Doesn't matter what sport you're playing you must play to your strengths, use the assets at your disposal, don't just adopt a generic "game plan" and hope your players adapt.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:09 pm

To pull on a Collingwood jumper in the past and represent the Football Club meant that you earned that right and you became a 'Collingwood hero'. Unfortunately these girls have not earned that right.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:36 pm

mattys123 wrote:
Staggering negativity from some.

It's great that young girls can now dream of playing for their club of support when they grow up.

Will the Women's league ever be as big as the mens? NO.

Does the womens league have to be as big as the mens to survive long term? HELL NO

The initial few years of this league will not have the quality that most want, but over time the depth in players will improve and so will the quality of play.

At the moment I'm only watching the Pies girls, but can see myself watching more games in the future when the quality improves.

It will survive long term, that is 100% certain.

Yes, I'm negative about this but I'm a "perceptive fellow" 🍭when it comes to other topics on here. I think the negative sentiment in this thread is totally valid. I actually hope it does succeed but i doubt it will for a very long time IF ever.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:08 pm

In my opinion our brand isn't Collingwood.

Our brand is Collingwood men's football side
and it's a brand built upon 125 years of joy, heartache, passion and hardship.

Far from expanding our brand like some believe I see our foray into women's football and netball only diluting it.

I find it ironic that Ed once talked about turning Collingwood into another Manchester United and yet the worlds most famous football side still resists the call to field a women's team in the elite women's competition.

As for Damien's question, well the AFL wont let it fail.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Will it survive YES the afl won't let it fail it's a era of new age thinking and supported in principal from the highest echelons of power in this country.
I watched both our games thus far and have been surprised at how poorly we have performed overall. I don't have high expectations of the game of woman's afl so I will never be disappointed but any team wearing our famous jersey should at a minimum give a good account of themselves.
As others have said it will take many years for the game to reach any level skill wise. Boys can start playing and being coached from around 7-8yrs of age. Give girls the same opportunities and it will improve the spectacle over time.
It will never rival men's football but it will have a place in society no matter how small
Stevo75 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:39 pm

I voted yes. Purely on numbers available to play and the desire by the AFL to make it work. We need to keep in mind though they are all just starting out in new teams so it will take time for teams to gel and play attractive football.
Interesting perspective on the poor teams having sides I hadn't thought about that? Does seem like a double standard?
I've watched a couple of games and while the girls give their all, it's not a great spectacle. Agree the media is just trying to make it something it isn't and they are taking advantage of a football starved public. This thred may not have even existed if the Collingwood ladies had won both their games?
uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:12 pm

I'm surprised there's any doubt about the women's comp lasting.
Of course it will.
Remember that most of the girls playing have had a very interrupted preparation in their formative years of footy. Most had to stop playing when they turned 14. Imagine how much better the standard will be when their pathway is uninterrupted. Remember that over 20% of Aussie rules participants is already over 20% female. It's going to grow faster now there's a women's comp on tv. The standard is only going to get better as is the length of the season longer. Most of us hanker for curtain raiser games like days of old. How about the women filling that role in the season proper. Or after the men's game for that matter (not for night games I'll grant you that)
So yeah even though we haven't won a game yet I'm glad we're their having a crack and will be for the long haul.

uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:20 pm

Hey Swoop
Just because Man U and Hawthorn don't have women's sides doesn't mean it's a dumb idea. The brand isn't diluted with women's sides involved, just broadened. What difference will it make in the middle of the season or in the finals if and when we make it when we are barracking for the pies? Not a skerrick. We'll be just as ardent in our support of the 125 yo side as we always have been. Why would it be diluted or weaker? Why is it a dumb idea just because Man U or Hawthorn haven't haven't done it? The only way we are going to overtake Hawks is to come up with ideas like this and make them work, not just follow what they do or don't do something because they aren't.
btw the Hawks are fostering women footballers and plan to field a side sometime soon when the opportunity arises...

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Long term it will be very significant
Think how many boys played football and as adults are supporters
Every girl who plays is one less who will support soccer or bum sniffing as adults

Plus a great many will be Collingwood supporters

Remember nearly half of all people who go to games are women

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:20 pm

The competition will continue but it does not and will not continue to maintain the current level of hype.

I wish the girls well and I think it adds to our club but I personally have little interest.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Those playing it will enjoy it, but as a spectator sport it will fail because the standard of football is, and will continue to be substandard. It's actually embarrassingly bad. As such, it's promotion on TV is damaging the brand of women's sports.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:38 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Those playing it will enjoy it, but as a spectator sport it will fail because the standard of football is, and will continue to be substandard. It's actually embarrassingly bad. As such, it's promotion on TV is damaging the brand of women's sports.

Gees you sure are banging on this drum!
Personally I think that's a load of crap, and usually I have a hell of a lot of time for your opinion. It really was not all bad, I've seen some pretty ordinary AFL games, some with us as the pathetic team. IMO your opinion of female sport sucks, and it's not in any way helpful, young girls need sport, they need team sport.

But that's fine, you don't have to like it, just don't watch it.

Personally I'd ather watch grass grow than watch men play soccer, golf, bowls, cricket, and yet I don't feel the need to slag it off.

Cheers. Rant over

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:14 am

think positive wrote:
What will surely last is people who don't like something continuing to waste e their time talking about it! Such negativity over something that has zero effect on you whatsoever, life is too short! Will your headstone say 'I told you it wouldn't last'. But then at least that will be partly true!

Hear hear. Its seems those with least interest are those most obsessed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: