Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Aboriginality test changes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^A review? You're kidding, right? Like the last tax review or education review?

What the heck do you think it will tell you? Do you think a bunch of politicised committees will magically unearth something no one, from the best field workers, managers and researchers worldwide, have to date observed?

There is no known approach to "fixing" a host of human conditions, from rheumatoid arthritis to depression. And there is no absence of ethics allowing arbitrary experimentation on humans.

Instead, you get your best people in the know, get politics the f^%$ck out of the equation, and support those concerned as they learn as an institution and group doing their best to ameliorate the problem and find breakthroughs as they go. You treat it as a medical problem, in other words, not a bloody political or "right thinking" problem.

The view that, when faced with difficulty, we can just "try stuff" on humans is a bizarre and completely detached one people have when it comes to other humans; that's exactly why you got the Iraq reference. Those who mindlessly keep falling for this card trick are actually the imbeciles.

And you got the Abbott reference because, totally contra David, he had a colonial Messiah complex and knew two-parts of f&%^ck all about the problem, yet interfered ideologically based on grandad's drunken political bias, wasting more time and more money, and pissing off those in the field trying to find ways forward, setting back their learning and progress in the process.

And, as I say, this sort of cheap and damaging political stunt happens every second hysteria cycle.

The best analogy was Eddie sticking with MM through the hysteria cycles of his career, rather than doing a Richmond. And, wisely, he's doing the same again with Bucks. People learn and grow into solutions; they aren't little Jesuses born with special powers of knowing everything in advance.

Last edited by pietillidie on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:02 am

Whatever Rolling Eyes
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:04 am

^Well, you at least get it when it comes to the management of the CFC. This is no different Wink
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:53 am

PTID, can you point to specific things that Abbott actually did wrong in this policy area over the course of his prime ministership? I'm not counting the intervention, as that was an inherited policy (and even one that he may have, if I recall correctly, opposed in cabinet at the time).
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:35 pm

pietillidie wrote:

(Mugwump thinks anything that's not defending 17th-century rural European thought is an affront to his identity Laughing Wink ).

Thou speakest false, and thou art a churl and a varlet to say so. I say to thee, that thou lovest too well thy government handouts and thou hast contracted thy mind to dwell and slaver upon nought but the devil Abbott and his work, and thy imaginary feline-stroking Blofeld in his oily eyrie, while thou sittest in thy underpants and froth forth at that damnable invention, the internexus.... Thou shouldst get out occasionally, and partake of the sunshine, and study some economics. Laughing Wink

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:51 am

Gee thread title talks about aboriginal identity, not a mention of one in the last 10 posts! Ah, more politics, subject buried, sounds like Canberra
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:23 am

think positive wrote:
Gee thread title talks about aboriginal identity, not a mention of one in the last 10 posts! Ah, more politics, subject buried, sounds like Canberra

What would you like to inform us about Aboriginal identification or alternatively know on the matter?

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:41 am

This is an interesting read...

http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/people/aboriginal-identity-who-is-aboriginal#toc0

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:24 pm

^

An interesting and very good informative read.

The part I find fascinating is that Aboriginality is now approaching the point where it is almost becoming like a religion rather than a race. How you identify, how you behave, what you believe are as important as blood.

I've seen first hand when interviewing for an Aboriginal Liaison officer, the Elder who was on the interview panel noted of one applicant after the interview that she was too white. She had lost her connection.

That has got to be the trickiest tightrope walk ever for the Indigenous people. How to assimilate into general society and maintain your Aboriginality as it seems you aren't allowed to be good at both.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:45 pm

David wrote:
PTID, can you point to specific things that Abbott actually did wrong in this policy area over the course of his prime ministership? I'm not counting the intervention, as that was an inherited policy (and even one that he may have, if I recall correctly, opposed in cabinet at the time).

What? He said he wanted to extend the NT intervention. He loved the bloody thing. He distanced himself from it rhetorically because it failed and was on the nose, then plowed right on with it.

He called traditional communities "lifestyle choices" FFS, and had no plan aside from the failed intervention to deal with moved and dumped, err, relocated people.

He allowed the failed intervention and its failed ideas to carry on through Scullion, who was of the same mind AFAIK.

The fact you can't find much on the topic at all is because he refused to make his policies public, much like his payments to people smugglers and boat tow aways.

If he really wanted it to be bipartisan, he would've setup an independent legislative body to make it so.

More pertinently, where in the heck did you get the view that he actually did anything good for Aboriginal peoples? His less-lunatic words on the subject? He has never had a clue about complex sociology, and didn't have a clue in office. He was just another "it's our turn to try our ideology we inherited from granddad" twit, but dressed it up in a personal colonial religious burden, then hid it from public view.

The intervention failed - of course he didn't tell you he and his minister still favoured that approach!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:11 pm

^

He also did a lot of work, with Gillard, on what needed to be done to amend the constitution to formally recognize the Indigenous people and spent time living and working as a volunteer in remote communities. But none of that suits the narrative you've invented for him.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:11 pm

Skids wrote:
This is an interesting read...

http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/people/aboriginal-identity-who-is-aboriginal#toc0

stui magpie wrote:
^

An interesting and very good informative read.

The part I find fascinating is that Aboriginality is now approaching the point where it is almost becoming like a religion rather than a race. How you identify, how you behave, what you believe are as important as blood.

I've seen first hand when interviewing for an Aboriginal Liaison officer, the Elder who was on the interview panel noted of one applicant after the interview that she was too white. She had lost her connection.

That has got to be the trickiest tightrope walk ever for the Indigenous people. How to assimilate into general society and maintain your Aboriginality as it seems you aren't allowed to be good at both.

Yes, nice site, Skids. Why didn't you start with that? Wink

Stui, nice post.

The problem was the reflexive use of terms like "scams bleeding the economy" (Skids), "welfare-dependent culture" (Stui), "government charity" (Mugwump), "chucking money at the problem" (Stui).

These are empty slogans that tell us nothing about the topic. They (a) selectively target Aborigines for budgetary problems as if there's a sane alternative to these expenditures, and as if this expenditure warrants looking at above and beyond middle-class and corporate welfare; they (b) reduce national responsibility for extremely underprivileged citizens to an insulting and begrudging "charity" work, and they (c) assume someone has an alternative solution that costs less, which they plainly don't.

All on the basis of the complexities of "identity". If I'd just read these last two posts, I wouldn't have taken exception.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

He also did a lot of work, with Gillard, on what needed to be done to amend the constitution to formally recognize the Indigenous people and spent time living and working as a volunteer in remote communities. But none of that suits the narrative you've invented for him.

Okay, can you list the details of those? What did he do, exactly?

(I think there was a lot of LOLing over this in the past from the Tannic one).

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:24 pm

Here's some info, http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-15/abbott-on-recognition-referendum/5744576

I understand it's a delicate subject and that there's been a lot of consultation with Indigenous stake holders as the final wording needs to be able to unite, not split, and balancing all the disparate views will be tricky.

It's been a bi partisan thing since Labor was in power.

I'd missed this when it happened, but the Referendum council has finally been put together and had their first meeting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-07/indigenous-referendum-council-named/7005642

And I'm sure the Tannic one would chortle heartily at the remotest suggestion of Bud doing anything good as again it doesn't fit the narrative therefore it must be rejected.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:52 pm

Wokko wrote:
Andrew Bolt got sued for saying things similar to this.......

Ahem, cough splutter. Bolt did not get sued for saying things similar to this. Bolt made errors of fact in his articles.

Even though Federal court Judge Mordy Bromberg played some games for St Kilda he made a damn fine judgement in Bolt's case, don't you think Wink Razz

Mind you on appeal, Bolt - wait on Bolt was so "right" he didn't appeal. My bad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: