Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Syrian-born woman's visa to Australia revoked without reason

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that it's a ridiculously bureaucratic process in general, but did you read this bit?

Quote:
When no visa came through, she called the helpline and was told to try the ETA instead. After applying for that and receiving an email to say she was successful, she attempted to check-in to her flight before being told by the airline that there was a problem. She said: “I thought everything was OK but the airline said I wasn’t valid and then I got the email from the High Commission to say my visa had been revoked and that it had been issued in error.”

She claims to have been instructed to apply for the second visa, and that it was accepted before being revoked at the last minute by the High Commission. If that's what happened, then that's more than just a bureaucratic stuff-up; it sounds like she's been deliberately blocked from obtaining a visa despite doing everything she was told to do.

I presume that she won't be entitled to a refund for her flights or accommodation, right? How much would she be out of pocket as a result of this - $5000 plus, potentially? I'd be devastated if that happened to us, particularly if I had reason to believe it was solely on the grounds of my cultural background.

Last edited by David on Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:49 pm

3.14159 wrote:
Quote:
“I’m really angry because my holiday was meant to start [today]. It’s ruined it for my friend as well.
We booked our tickets and accommodation three months ago and I’ve been saving up. I’ve had no time off this year and have worked really hard for this.
“I didn’t even know I needed a visa. I thought, well, I’m British, there’s the commonwealth, you don’t need one.”

News Flash, clueless 30 think's holiday trip to Australia ruined!
...another pommie that doesn't realize Australia is a Sovereign nation, no longer a the Dominion of the UK. Rolling Eyes

I'm outraged!
I blame the British school system!

Oh? levels!

Actually, it wasn't such an unreasonable presumption. Australians, for instance, don't require a visa to travel to the UK if visiting for less than 6 months:

http://travelleronline.com.au/articles/visas/what-countries-in-europe-do-australians-need-a-visa-for/

It just doesn't work the other way around - UK citizens are required to get a visa if visiting here.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:15 pm

David wrote:
I understand that it's a ridiculously bureaucratic process in general, but did you read this bit?

Quote:
When no visa came through, she called the helpline and was told to try the ETA instead. After applying for that and receiving an email to say she was successful, she attempted to check-in to her flight before being told by the airline that there was a problem. She said: “I thought everything was OK but the airline said I wasn’t valid and then I got the email from the High Commission to say my visa had been revoked and that it had been issued in error.”

She claims to have been instructed to apply for the second visa, and that it was accepted before being revoked at the last minute by the High Commission. If that's what happened, then that's more than just a bureaucratic stuff-up; it sounds like she's been deliberately blocked from obtaining a visa despite doing everything she was told to do.

I presume that she won't be entitled to a refund for her flights or accommodation, right? How much would she be out of pocket as a result of this - $5000 plus, potentially? I'd be devastated if that happened to us, particularly if I had reason to believe it was solely on the grounds of my cultural background.

Yes I read that and no it doesn't sound like that at all to me!

What it sounds like to me is she made 2 applications for different visa types - quite possibly because she got bad advice - quite possibly because she is just a pillock - if I had a dollar for every excuse and deflection I have heard from travellers at immigration - it's always someone else's fault - always!! I would be a very wealthy woman!!

Even if her second visa application was initially approved - the system would have flagged a previous separate different application for a different visa type - THAT is why it was revoked UNTIL the 2 different applications were resolved.

I'm sorry if it sounds condescending David but your inexperience with international travel is clouding your judgement here - refusal to permit entry and travel because of documentation issues is an extremely frequent occurrence and that is all I see here.

If she is a responsible traveller she will have had travel insurance - if she doesn't well stiff bickies - I have no sympathy for people who do not take out travel insurance and then bleat!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:23 pm

Yeah I agree. Sounds like excuses

In 2010 I arranged the USA holiday for two families, 9 of us in total, I organised everything, hotels, flights, tours, cars etc etc, got to the airport with a big smile for a job well done, only to find I didn't have a visa to get back into Australia! I didnt remember I needed one! It's easy to do! I was lucky, they got me to fill out a form, and rang Canberra and the USA, and sorted it all out for me, but I got taken aside in the states, and again when we came back. Then had to go into the city to fix it up! They could have knocked me back, and noone to blame but myself.

When you travel the airlines etc sent you emails, do this, check that etc etc, and anyone with a brain googles what you need, from visas to injections. Her mistake. If she had insurance she would be right.

And another thing, it's just her word for it. How do you know she's not directly related to some infamous Syrian bomber or dictator?

Yet another post whereyoujump the gun looking for a way to slam white people power! You go on about everyone else being a racist, and yet you seem to seek out cases of supposed discrimination!

Whatever, one thing for sure, this entire thread is a case of jumping the gun, one sided journalism, ah, guardian like posting! Shame shame shame !

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:40 pm

Another title that needs to be changed might I suggest
Silly woman learns lesson about preparing visa with plent of time, and checking it!
(That could be me too!)

Or simply

Woman's visa To Australia revoked without reason. (Seemingly-not proven)

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:53 pm

Spot on.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:56 pm

Well, if it is as reported, then I am with David on this. If she is a British citizen with a clean record, it seems strange that she was forced to go through a long and unusually complex process just because she was born in Syria before leaving age 4. And if the visa was actually issued in error, then revoked, it sounds as though the Australian government is messing her about unconscionably. It all sounds like bureaucratic incompetence to me.

That leaves the question of whether it is really as reported. Her comments about "Australia's foreign policy" make me very suspicious. She is a citizen of the nation that has deployed proportionately more troops within "Islamic lands" than any country apart from the US. That seems a very strange comment, indeed. It would not surprise me if she turned out to be just another provocateuse, especially as it is the Guardian, after all. But on the facts, it looks like poor bureaucratic case management that does the Australian HC no credit. Maybe that vast and absurdly grand building on the Strand could be sold, and they could employ staff to manage their business instead.

As David pointed out, the disparity in visa requirements between the two countries should be equalised.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:07 pm

Mugwump wrote:
As David pointed out, the disparity in visa requirements between the two countries should be equalised.

Why should it??

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:39 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Why should it??

Firstly, because it makes this kind of confusion more likely to happen. If a British friend had asked me whether they needed a visa to visit Australia i'd probably have said "check, but i doubt it as Australians do not need one for six months visits here."

Secondly, just because it passes the fairness test. If Australia wants to impose this barrier and cost against British visitors, then it is quite at liberty to do so, but Britain should impose the same vis-a-vis Australians. I'm dual, so I don't personally care, but reciprocity in these things is pretty normal in international affairs.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:16 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Why should it??

Firstly, because it makes this kind of confusion more likely to happen. If a British friend had asked me whether they needed a visa to visit Australia i'd probably have said "check, but i doubt it as Australians do not need one for six months visits here."

My thought was really that if Australia wants to impose this barrier and cost against British visitors, then it is quite at liberty to do so, But Britain should impose the same vis-a-vis Australians. I'm dual, so I don't personally care, but reciprocity in these things is pretty normal in international affairs.

I live here, have since 1970, pay taxes (lots!) and I have to pay for a visa to get back in this country!

David Libra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:57 am

^ I don't quite understand why – aren't you a citizen? Why do you need a visa to return to your own country?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:00 am

^

Probably because she is a permanent resident but not a citizen.

David Libra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:31 am

^ I could have sworn that she's mentioned voting before. Permanent residents can't vote, can they?

TP, resolve this conundrum for us. Laughing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:24 am

David wrote:
^ I could have sworn that she's mentioned voting before. Permanent residents can't vote, can they?

TP, resolve this conundrum for us. Laughing

We have to $£$%^%%$ vote or get fined!

I said I'd get citizenship next time we won a premiership

We lost

And then the price went up, then I could afford it, and now they have a test! I still have til 2020 on my British passport, plenty of time!

David Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:52 pm

Born in Pakistan? Step into the room over here, please.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jan/15/greens-politician-mehreen-faruqi-subject-to-racial-profiling-in-us-airport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: