Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

An ongoing problem with Ben Reid

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^Agree. Can't throw away good coin after someone who can't register a game. Very disappointing. Not much we can do though. He won't retire, otherwise he won't get paid. Fair enough.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:51 pm

Stick a fork in him, he's done...

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:57 pm

I love the sympathy some people show for our players.What great supporters we have. Rolling Eyes
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:01 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
I love the sympathy some people show for our players.What great supporters we have. Rolling Eyes

i have a lot of empathy and sympathy for our players that are having ongoing injury issues.

At the same time we have persisted with Ben for nearly two seasons and it very much looks like his soft tissue issues are chronic and irrespective of what effort and time is taken to resolve the issues and get him back on the track it it looking glaringly obvious that it simply is not going to happen.

If thinks do not improve by the end of the season it it time to move on and release him from our list. Sad but inevitable.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Yeah, we'll let him go to a club that has patience (like Hawthorn), and he'll end up starring for them. That'd be a good idea Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:34 pm

Doc63 wrote:
Yeah, we'll let him go to a club that has patience (like Hawthorn), and he'll end up starring for them. That'd be a good idea Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Yeh it might work for Hawthorn as Daisy worked out for the Scum. At the end of the day it is a roll of the dice with no guarantee eitherway.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:39 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Defender wrote:
Maybe he just needs a spell, give him the year off with just swimming and hhiking as training and see what happens next year, let's face it he isn't going to have an impact this year now.

As I've mentioned before another guy had issues like Ben, his name was Fraser Gehrig, similar builds as well, he went away and put on a ton of muscle and went from a tall wingman to one of the best KFs in the league, maybe we should explore that path with Ben.

Other out of the square options are Yoga and Ballet, Ballet to improve back-core strength and Yoga to increase flexibility.

Great point about Gehrig. At the Eagles he was a slim, athletic string bean. At the Saints he was a brute!!

Gehrig was also a physical freak, as strong as an ox even before he put the bulk on.

I do agree though that maybe the club needs to go back to the drawing board and look at different options which may include changing his body shape and role.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:37 pm

So it's gone from a corky to a strain. By next week it will be a tear and then the week after he will need surgery before they finally decide to cut his leg off.
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:38 pm

I'd actually like the club to come out and tell us what they think the problem is and the what program they have put in place to treat this injury. The supporters and members deserve better than the bs they are given when an injury occurs. Are they scared of the scrutiny? Don't treat us with disdain. There are plenty of runners, sportspeople, doctors, physio's amongst our ranks, that would have an interest in this, and possibly have an opinion of their own.

One and a half years of trying to fix a calf strain tells me this has been a massive fail on behalf of the club's medical/training dept.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:23 am

Member 7167 wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:

i have a lot of empathy and sympathy for our players that are having ongoing injury issues.

At the same time we have persisted with Ben for nearly two seasons and it very much looks like his soft tissue issues are chronic and irrespective of what effort and time is taken to resolve the issues and get him back on the track it it looking glaringly obvious that it simply is not going to happen.

If thinks do not improve by the end of the season it it time to move on and release him from our list. Sad but inevitable.

I disagree. I don't think we would get any salary cap relief from getting rid of him ahead of the end of his contract (someone could correct me on this as I am not sure). I think that a guy of that calibre is a no risk proposition as the 40th man on our list. Its unlikely we'll have a 40th man with so much potential.

For next season, I can think of at least 3 or 4 de listings that will be made so its not like we need the spot so desperately.

He is going to be on our list through end of 2016 for that reason even if he doesn't play one game for us in that time.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:49 am

Member 7167 wrote:
Doc63 wrote:

Yeh it might work for Hawthorn as Daisy worked out for the Scum. At the end of the day it is a roll of the dice with no guarantee eitherway.

The difference is that Daisy was out of contract (and a restricted free agent), so the decision was "how much do we think he is worth given his injury profile", and then after Carlton made a higher offer, "are we prepared to pay more than we think he is worth because another team is willing to do so".

In the case of Reid, you are already committed to the salary, he has zero trade value, if you pay him out his contract a BUNCH of clubs would gamble on him at a minimum salary (or even slightly above) and what have you gainsed (other than the 40th spot on your list - which would at a minimum require you to pay minimum salary to a guy who would be unlikely to meaningfully contribute to the club which means its just that much less that you can pay the other 39 players).

This is a no brainer. You work with him and try everything you can to get him on the park (and you temper your expectations of that ever happening). I think Collingwood has done both of those things! Darcy Moore is the next Ben Reid, no? We also took a gamble on Abbott and kept Gault.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:06 am

E wrote:
This is a no brainer. You work with him and try everything you can to get him on the park (and you temper your expectations of that ever happening). I think Collingwood has done both of those things! Darcy Moore is the next Ben Reid, no? We also took a gamble on Abbott and kept Gault.

Agree totally. This is a no brainer, you don't get rid of top 10 picks just like that. Keep patient and play him when he is fit, be it later this season or the next. Rolling Eyes His value to us just too great.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:13 pm

bally12 wrote:
I'd actually like the club to come out and tell us what they think the problem is and the what program they have put in place to treat this injury. The supporters and members deserve better than the bs they are given when an injury occurs. Are they scared of the scrutiny? Don't treat us with disdain. There are plenty of runners, sportspeople, doctors, physio's amongst our ranks, that would have an interest in this, and possibly have an opinion of their own.

One and a half years of trying to fix a calf strain tells me this has been a massive fail on behalf of the club's medical/training dept.

Get a grip. The club's been completely up front. They told us they had no idea why he kept breaking down which was why they took him to Germany in the pre-season to try to understand the problem better. Remember, medicine can sometimes be an inexact science. All they have done is try to slowly build up his strength and try to get some games into him. Unfortunately, he keeps breaking down. I'm sure if there was anything else they could do they would do it. There's no conspiracy here, just a player with a weak body who does not seem able to withstand the rigours of AFL footy. It's no mystery to me, so I'm not sure what else you'd like the club to do or say.
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:13 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
bally12 wrote:

Get a grip. The club's been completely up front. They told us they had no idea why he kept breaking down which was why they took him to Germany in the pre-season to try to understand the problem better. Remember, medicine can sometimes be an inexact science. All they have done is try to slowly build up his strength and try to get some games into him. Unfortunately, he keeps breaking down. I'm sure if there was anything else they could do they would do it. There's no conspiracy here, just a player with a weak body who does not seem able to withstand the rigours of AFL footy. It's no mystery to me, so I'm not sure what else you'd like the club to do or say.

Rudy, that's exactly my point..the fact that they have no idea what the underlying issue is. We supposedly have the best professionals at the club. I don't buy the idea that Reidy isn't fixable. They should have a fair idea what is causing this and have plan/program for him place. To give you an example, I know calf strains can be caused by poor running technique, posture, weak achilles, hamstrings, glutes etc etc. I know some professional runners include barefoot running on grass in their training to strengthen their foot and surrounding muscles/structures. The issue can vary from individual to individual.

Sure, don't divulge every detail of his case. We don't need to see his medical file. But please don't tell us he got a "corkie" when he really strained it again. I know we are Pies supporters, but even we are not that gullible. Anyway, I don't get secrecy around injuries and the need to lie about them to begin with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: