Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Stop the forced removal of aboriginal communities

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malteaser 

Stanley Kubrick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree, but the problem of welfare is not just an aboriginal problem, however it is the only problem that is discussed with Aboriginal peoples. This is evident in all conversations. I admit my lack of knowledge and how this cycle can be changed we need a rational converstation with all stakeholders, which includes ney-sayers and doomsters. A discussion of a country that could be proud to have a group of people who are unique in their culture, identity, way of life would be good. We all love the great outdoors but on the same hand condemn those who choose a lifestyle that in a sense we wish we had, maybe it is reverse jealousy, so we get a RV destroy the land and then victimize them because omg they don't have a 2 storey house with mod cons and as one person said to me, "a proper job". (I also understand the issues of poverty which is a different discussion) because poverty also means spiritually poor, as opposed to the great $ which creates its on spirituality.

I have traveled and spent many hours with communities in Africa and South America and the one thing that struck me was that although they had absolutely nothing as in material things, they loved their life just as I love mine in a 3 bedroom house with everything. Peoples of Peru are one group that showed me that although poor in terms of what we have, they embraced their indigenous people and celebrated and they felt included rather than excluded. Who are we to judge?

In terms of absolute poverty these things are easily fixed if only we stopped fighting with others and stopped repressing groups of disadvantaged societies because they don't have the same belief system. Another example of we are better than you. Do you really think ISIS started just yesterday? These people are the result of decades of being disenfranchised, at sometime they just went bang and now we are seeing the results.

As soon as welfare is raised we as a society mostly focus towards people as weak and useless when this is not the case at all. People who have been on welfare for decades are a result that we look down on anyone who can't talk like us, reason like us. Teachers often have this problem of thinking that everyone is at the same level and then label those that don't behave or react the way we wanted them to. I teach at a secondary school in Geelong and if there is ever an issue of welfare I see it everyday with kids who have been born into generations of never getting out of a cycle. As an example, I teach a young girl of 14, who is in year 7 and was tested, her level, was grade 1. How did this girl not have the appropriate help? This young girl will most probably be victimized and then thrown out then again be part of the welfare cycle. You can blame govt agencies but we are the ones who think we wast money on social services. Oh by the way she is a white Australian. What disturbs me is the polarization of a group of people who after years of media stereotypes and agenda setting label aboriginals as poor, victims, as opposed to all the positives one can throw at white Aussies, look at us, be like us, when you become like us, they take take take.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:53 am

Until the OP shows me any evidence of what the Government is doing, that is ours and not Peru, and what the ADF role in this is it it is all bullshit. It seems like another NGO fund raising piece of crap that I regularly see in SE Asia. The Ops last post seems to me that teachers are the blame and not anything the Government can do given it it appears to have been over an 8 or 9 years period and you can hardly blame the current Government for all that. But I stand corrected.

I live in a rented 2 bedroom house in Thailand with my girlfriend and at times all members of her her family. What is the point. I have no car, no investment property, and own little. But I will die happy I hope.

You seem an apologist for ISIS supporters and still have not provided one shred of evidence, not one, that the ADF will be involved in all this.

Fanciful propagandist bullshit that is best left on its shelf and you should be ashamed to call on us as Football club supporters to be part of all this.

Look to the likes of Joffa who DO make a positive difference and not by denigrating people in Australia who are trying to do their best like the ADF and the AFP who have made a difference in the Solomons and East Timor.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:12 am

malteaser wrote:
Totally agree, but the problem of welfare is not just an aboriginal problem, however it is the only problem that is discussed with Aboriginal peoples. This is evident in all conversations. I admit my lack of knowledge and how this cycle can be changed we need a rational converstation with all stakeholders, which includes ney-sayers and doomsters. A discussion of a country that could be proud to have a group of people who are unique in their culture, identity, way of life would be good. We all love the great outdoors but on the same hand condemn those who choose a lifestyle that in a sense we wish we had, maybe it is reverse jealousy, so we get a RV destroy the land and then victimize them because omg they don't have a 2 storey house with mod cons and as one person said to me, "a proper job". (I also understand the issues of poverty which is a different discussion) because poverty also means spiritually poor, as opposed to the great $ which creates its on spirituality.

I have traveled and spent many hours with communities in Africa and South America and the one thing that struck me was that although they had absolutely nothing as in material things, they loved their life just as I love mine in a 3 bedroom house with everything. Peoples of Peru are one group that showed me that although poor in terms of what we have, they embraced their indigenous people and celebrated and they felt included rather than excluded. Who are we to judge?

In terms of absolute poverty these things are easily fixed if only we stopped fighting with others and stopped repressing groups of disadvantaged societies because they don't have the same belief system. Another example of we are better than you. Do you really think ISIS started just yesterday? These people are the result of decades of being disenfranchised, at sometime they just went bang and now we are seeing the results.

As soon as welfare is raised we as a society mostly focus towards people as weak and useless when this is not the case at all. People who have been on welfare for decades are a result that we look down on anyone who can't talk like us, reason like us. Teachers often have this problem of thinking that everyone is at the same level and then label those that don't behave or react the way we wanted them to. I teach at a secondary school in Geelong and if there is ever an issue of welfare I see it everyday with kids who have been born into generations of never getting out of a cycle. As an example, I teach a young girl of 14, who is in year 7 and was tested, her level, was grade 1. How did this girl not have the appropriate help? This young girl will most probably be victimized and then thrown out then again be part of the welfare cycle. You can blame govt agencies but we are the ones who think we wast money on social services. Oh by the way she is a white Australian. What disturbs me is the polarization of a group of people who after years of media stereotypes and agenda setting label aboriginals as poor, victims, as opposed to all the positives one can throw at white Aussies, look at us, be like us, when you become like us, they take take take.

If her level of education is grade 1 at 14, Why didn't her teachers pick it up, say even 4 years ago?

Re the school thing thread, I rest my case!

What subjects do you teach?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:27 am

Morrigu wrote:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-12/indigenous-communities-closures-will-have-severe-consequences/5886840

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-19/protesters-rally-against-closure-aboriginal-remote-communities/6332526

Just read both links, it sounds as if there is very good reason for concern in those communities, and the government is trying to improve conditions, and save their children from abuse. It doesn't sound like they are switching everything off and leaving them to rot. Surely there is an article telling of their plans for placing the people into larger communities to better cater for their needs? From the articles:

Debate over remote communities turned hostile inside the Parliament as well, when Premier Colin Barnett argued the move to close unsustainable settlements was driven by concerns about child safety.

"Those communities, 273 of them, are not sustainable into the future. They cannot look anyone in the face and guarantee the safety of little boys and girls," he said.

Mr Barnett told Parliament that in 2013 there were 39 cases of gonorrhoea in Aboriginal children aged 10 to 14.

"How many cases of gonorrhoea in the wider community," he said, referring to non-Indigenous children in the same age group.

"None. None. Not a single case."

"And do you think that I, as Premier, or the Health Minister as Deputy Premier, are going to sit by and let those children be abused? You are wrong."

The Premier's comments drew howls of protest from the Opposition benches, with calls for him to name the communities failing to keep children safe.

"Not every community. You've tarred them all with the same brush. You're a disgrace Premier," yelled the Labor Member for Albany, Peter Watson.

Indigenous MLAs walk out of Legislative Assembly

Opposition Leader Mark McGowan ask him to clarify his statement to the protest outside Parliament that no-one would be forced from their communities.

Mr McGowan asked whether that meant essential services such as power, water, health and education would be retained.

"We will work progressively with those communities and we will make other investments to make those communities viable and sustainable, to protect children, to improve health and education," he said.

"And that might mean, in 10 years time, there are not 273 remote communities, but I pray to this day there are safe and healthy children."

The hostile debate continued to the end of Question Time.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:34 am

malteaser wrote:

Great response, Malteaser, thanks (would be good to see you post here more often!).

I completely agree that the problems in many remote Indigenous communities are not unique to those communities and also exist in White Australia. But the concentration of these problems in some remote Aboriginal communities is on a completely different level; practically third-world, the studies say.

That's not a problem if we're merely talking about living a traditional life. As you say with Peru, people can live perfectly happy and fulfilling lives without modern Western comforts and conveniences, and I think Indigenous people who wish to live traditionally should be supported and encouraged. But substance abuse, violence, sexual assault, malnutrition and unemployment (in the broadest possible sense) are problems, and the studies suggest that Indigenous people in certain remote communities experience these harms at a much higher rate than the rest of the Australian population.

I agree that we need to address these problems without heavy-handedness and paternalism, and that Indigenous people play a key role in the decisionmaking process. In that way, the WA government are just contributing to the cycle of harm. But not doing anything about the conditions in remote Indigenous communities isn't much better, so it's not enough to just oppose Barnett's policy; I think we need to be proposing positive alternatives.

(BTW, ronrat, recognising some of the socioeconomic reasons behind violent groups like ISIS is not apologism. To not do so is intellectually bankrupt.)

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:50 am

David wrote:
malteaser wrote:
T......... Do you really think ISIS started just yesterday? These people are the result of decades of being disenfranchised, at sometime they just went bang and now we are seeing the results.

Great response, Malteaser, thanks (would be good to see you post here more often!).

(BTW, ronrat, recognising some of the socioeconomic reasons behind violent groups like ISIS is not apologism. To not do so is intellectually bankrupt.)

Conversely David, simple economic & power reductionism like that posted by Malteaser is equally jejune (oh how I love that word Wink Laughing ) as a means of explaining ISIS. It might be a be a necessary condition but is simply quite insufficient & an intellectually lazy means of explaining ISIS.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:36 pm

coulda been a more simplistic answer Razz
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:38 am

think positive wrote:

Don't be so jejune... Very Happy
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:49 pm

5150 wrote:
think positive wrote:

Don't be so jejune... Very Happy

Gesundheit

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Do you have any idea what I am talking about?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:12 pm

Not a $$%^%%$ clue.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:12 pm

The most instructive parallel between the Middle East and remote Aboriginal communities is our authoritarian obsession with singular solutions, and bumbling interference in other people's lives. You either blow the shite out of something, and assume people will pick up the pieces following your amoral holocaust, or you let people cut a path to their own working system.

In the case of the Middle East, if you were vaguely rational you would get rid of the oil economy and see what sort of economy might develop in the absence of oil-funded regimes.

In the case of Aboriginal Australia, you would give folk access to forms of education and employment which make sense to their local world, without insisting everyone has to have our forms and structures of living. Then, slowly, people would find their own way; some staying in a more localised form of bush employment; some kids with certain aptitudes and desires heading off to boarding school, some kids remaining in a more traditional context, and so on.

Currently, all we're doing is perpetuating generations of post-traumatic stress disorder by forcing folk into ridiculous, existentially meaningless pseudo-towns, as if to hurry up their transition. But you just can't hurry the base cognitive-emotional parameters of the human brain. You simply can't; the inability to grasp that due to ridiculous fantasies about our own development from the Renaissance to the Enlightenment to today is a constant stumbling block to us dealing rationally with Others.

No, we didn't think our way rationally from the Dark Ages to postmodern Melbourne. We made our way from plague to war to discovery and back again to war and poverty and ignorance and on to discovery and around and around like staggering drunks on their way home from the pub. And yet we get impatient and poke and prod others who don't sprint to glory as we did in the completely juvenile tales of our own "history" we were spoon fed as children.

As I say, the other option is to kill 2-5M people on the Korean Peninsula so the country can develop to our way of likingeven then taking six decades for only half of the Peninsula to be developed, four of which were run by murderous tyrants.

It's time to allow Aboriginal peoples to be bi-cultural of their own choice, meaning access to land and bush employment and lifestyles for those who choose it, access to traditional Aboriginal cultural education for those who choose it, and a way to the big smoke for those who choose to go that way. It's obscene that we no longer celebrate Aboriginal culture as a unique, marvelous and mysterious wonder of human diversity, but instead spit and curse at folk who are failing at being "us". Why do we insist that everyone has to transition to "us"?

Bugger it! Let people be traditional and let's celebrate that traditional culture with them as a living and special aspect of Australian life. However things then develop, so be it! The insistence and frustration with "fixing" Aboriginal culture is like a national case of OCD; as if there's a crooked picture on the wall that has to be straightenedand right now, damn it!

The thing which strikes me more and more as I investigate and live difference in the big bad world is just how undisciplined, impatient, petty and careless we are. When it comes to understanding human difference and diversity, we really are unsophisticated swine, no doubt due to years of trampling the planet at will and glorying in our complete dominance.

Or, put another way: When it comes to understanding Homo sapiens, we're bloody Neanderthals!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Not a $$%^%%$ clue.

1 post too early Wink

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:22 pm

pietillidie wrote:

Or, put another way: When it comes to understanding Homo sapiens, we're bloody Neanderthals!

Sapiens wiped out the Neanderthals. They get a bad wrap but were probably more advanced than we were.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:56 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:
malteaser wrote:
T......... Do you really think ISIS started just yesterday? These people are the result of decades of being disenfranchised, at sometime they just went bang and now we are seeing the results.

Conversely David, simple economic & power reductionism like that posted by Malteaser is equally jejune (oh how I love that word Wink Laughing ) as a means of explaining ISIS. It might be a be a necessary condition but is simply quite insufficient & an intellectually lazy means of explaining ISIS.

Spot on WPT! Completely agree.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: