Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Promote Kyle Martin.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Ok, fair point on Hudson. No real harm in promoting him then, unless we're serious about getting Mooney some games.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:21 pm

So Inky wants to promote Yagmoor and Mooney but can't find a spot for a very consistent performer who hasn't put a foot wrong at AFL level and was the weekend's VFL Best on Ground. Again. Go figure.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:28 pm

Martin's probably a better VFL player than most of our current senior 22. It's not the only measure.

I'm happy for anyone who's going to play to be promoted. I'd probably prefer they weren't yet another midget, but if that's what we have, so be it. I was just thinking, if we promoted Martin for encouragement, not because he's playing this week, whether that could cause us any problems. The only one I found was that we'd not be able to play Mooney, if that was something we'd planned to do.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:36 pm

I agree about promoting for encouragement, Inky. Promote if and when the Match Committee wants to pick the player in the seniors, not before. What's wrong with our drugs department, anyway? No midgets at Essendon or Hawthorn!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:00 am

It's the logical thing to do especially if Lynch goes onto the long-term injury list now.

Martin has potential no doubt but I just wonder whether he can make the next big step up from VFL to AFL football. He wasn't too bad this season when I saw him in the senior side and after an impressive performance against Essendon on the weekend I wouldn't be against selecting him in the senior side for this week's game against Carlton.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:31 am

Normally I would agree but I'd prefer we use Lynch's injury to keep Frost in the side as the 'Berg may not be on the LTI for much longer.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:36 am

^ there's still a few weeks to make the decision. i'd support the lti upgrade being reserved for frost.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:00 am

Keep the mid year upgrade for Frost. Scharenberg will be in the VFL in a few weeks and then he will be in the senior team by round 16 or thereabouts. So we should keep all options open and save the upgrade money in our cap till the last minute.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:00 am

The Seedsmeister wrote:
Normally I would agree but I'd prefer we use Lynch's injury to keep Frost in the side as the 'Berg may not be on the LTI for much longer.

I'd say we have Frost marked down as our round 11 automatic rookie promotion anyway, and will Scharenberg be back by round 9 or 10 anyway? Unlikely.

Promote Martin this week for Lynch, then if we have to Frost misses 1-2 senior games until the round 11 upgrade.

As for anyone mentioning Yagmoor or Mooney as possible upgrades, you obviously haven't watched much VFL, both are miles off it at VFL level, let alone senior level.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:11 am

how tall is he?
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:17 am

I'd keep it in the bag until we're ready to give him a seniors run. Just in case Shazza comes good, or the sky starts falling, or Yagamoor is tried as a small forward and kicks 25 goals over 2 weeks....

Can we play Sharenberg in the reserves if we don't have a spot for him on the seniors list? I don't think so? (MB, our guru of all things selection related??)

I doubt he's ready to be promoted yet anyway - Tapping in his post match pointed out that he didn't really get a pre season, so this has been his pre season, but on the back of one very good game I'd not put him into the seniors team that has done so well.

We need replacement for Fas and maybe Young for one week each (then the bye) so I'd keep the vacant senior list spot until at least then. If Martin is ready and Shazza no where near, upgrade him then.

- Ben
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:34 am

I'm always amused when people pigeon-hole players as a particular type, such as "only a forward". Good players are good players. Fasolo showed how a good forward could become a good defender. Unless there's a specific need which can only be filled by a rookie, I say promote the best player. It's clear to me that Martin is that player. If he's good enough, he'll find a spot.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:39 am

mattys123 wrote:
The Seedsmeister wrote:

I'd say we have Frost marked down as our round 11 automatic rookie promotion anyway, and will Scharenberg be back by round 9 or 10 anyway? Unlikely.

Promote Martin this week for Lynch, then if we have to Frost misses 1-2 senior games until the round 11 upgrade.

As for anyone mentioning Yagmoor or Mooney as possible upgrades, you obviously haven't watched much VFL, both are miles off it at VFL level, let alone senior level.

While Frost & Martin look to be the 2 first to be promoted, I've been pleasantly surprised with Yags's slow but steady improvement.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:47 am

watt price tully wrote:
mattys123 wrote:
The Seedsmeister wrote:

While Frost & Martin look to be the 2 first to be promoted, I've been pleasantly surprised with Yags's slow but steady improvement.

Yes, I'm still not convinced he can play at AFL level but he has improved a lot this year. It is a great credit to him because he looked like he wasn't even capable of competing at VFL level for the first half of last year. If he fails, it won't be for want of effort.
innocent_criminal 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:10 pm

My 2cents.. I thought Yaggs played a much improved game in the VFL, did a very good blanketing job... didn't think he had that much improvement in him...

Martin's development since his last go at the senior level is the key here, he was killing it last time in the VFL and struggled to take the next step.. this time maybe it will be better... but losing him to another club due to not giving him another go would be pretty bad player management... & I have faith in our system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: