Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

KFC ad called racist, what a joke!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to see the ad to comment with any real certainty, but the interpretations offered by wokko and others seem sound. And this whole 'Australians are racist' thing is such a crock of shit. I was talking to a friend today (of Indian racial background) who grew up in Singapore, and she was of the opinion that the racism over there is many times worse what people encounter here.

What I find most galling is politicians from countries like India (forget a Bollywood career if your skin is too dark) or Malaysia (Chinese uni student? Good luck with that) accusing Australia of being a racist country. They know it's bullshit; but they get away with it because many from here are ignorant enough to assume that xenophobia and racism are somehow phenomena peculiar to Western countries.

The makers of the ad should certainly have been aware of that particular racial stereotype; whether, if they were indeed making an ad that only co-incidentally referenced it, they should have given two hoots about it, is another issue.

Last edited by David on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:11 pm

What KFC should do is another ad at the WACA, A west Indian surrounded by screaming locals, holds up a few cartons of Hahn Super dry(and some chicken fried or grilled, who gives a furk) and watch the crowd go silent.... bring it on!

Bottom line is, it's not WHAT you are it's WHO you are.

The Irish have been the brunt of jokes for a century, do we see them weeping in their guiness.. Question (I'm not saying they're all beer swilling drunks or anything like that)

Last edited by Skids on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:16 pm

5150 wrote:
Wokko wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Wokko wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
My first impression is that whoever made that ad needs to be fired for being socially illiterate, even if the discourse is largely American. We laugh at Americans for not knowing where Australia is on a map, but you would have to be pretty socially unaware not to be familiar with this. And even without any knowledge of US popular culture there are related discourses here which ought to trigger discomfort.

Moreover, how plain aloof would you have to be to overlay the fried chicken discourse on a stark juxtaposition of black and white peoples in the act of exaggerating their national identities at a sport which has in recent times been involved in a host of public racial kerfuffles? Talk about dumb and dumber.

It's funny how this connects to the debate we've been having in the other thread. When does ignorance and stupidity become negligence? The stupidity defense is wearing thin on me. In my view, unless impaired judgement is involved we once again have a degree of negligence.

But that debate aside, at the very best you'd fire those who produced and approved the ad for being professionally incompetent. Public communicators are supposed to be experts in the impacts of public communication FFS. And it's not just about KFC; how much does stupidity like this damage the national brand? The "racist Australia" discourse is growing by the day and is an increasing constraint on our ability to get things done in the world. Just another embarrassment for those engaged in international trade and diplomacy to deal with I guess.

Sorry no. We do not have to pander to American racial sensitivities in Australia. There is nothing either intrinsically or even subjectively racist in this commercial when viewed from an Australian or Caribbean point of view. You can't expect everybody, everywhere in the world to be aware of every racial stereotype. What's even more ridiculous is the stereotype is that Black Americans eat alot of fried chicken. People in this commercial are Caribbean islanders among whom no such stereotype exists. Politically correct nonsense and racial guilt at it's finest.

Do you think the range of symbols available to a viewer come with a flag of origin stuck to them? Do you think African Caribbean people have no shared pool of ideas with African Americans? Have you ever talked to Africans to check if they have a sense of international kinship? (My African friends certainly do). Are you arguing that this particular discourse is not available to the Australian mind? Have you not noticed how racially-charged cricket has been in recent years? And even if no such discourse existed prior, the symbolism of the ad was clearly all wrong and draws on a much older British colonial discourse (enlightened white man surrounded by impassioned blacks resolves the potential threat with a gift; have we not read that story anywhere else before?). And we're not dealing with old Mrs. Jones' naivete; we're dealing with professional public communcators trained in the manipulation of nuance. These guys are paid to understand and arrange symbols. Big fail, big embarrassment.

We can rightly bag the Americans for a lot of things, but everyone knows we are centuries from electing a black prime minister. The louder we defend our buffoonery the worse we look. I actually don't think we're more racist than most nations, we just look like primitive isolated twats trying to defend the indefensible, further fueling the ignorant bogan discourse.

Pretentious twaddle. This is an Australian cricket fan sitting in the West Indian steel drum section feeling out of place. He joins the camaraderie by handing out some KFC. Black/White is a label that is only even considered by those with racial stereotypes already entrenched (like the yanks in this case). I would think no differently of this commercial if it was a lone West Indian amongst the Barmy Army or Aussies and he handed out some beers or KFC or whatever. The only people who would possibly be offended are those who have misinterpreted the ad or taken it out of context. This is no 'elightened white man' there is no 'potential threat' and would not be seen as such by any reasonable person in this light, only by overthinking academics and hand wringing racial guilt mongers.

I would like to say you've hit the nail right on the head, but I fear I may offend skinny people, flat tops and MC Hammer. Laughing

+1 (never thought I'd type that!)

wrote previous post before I read this one Embarassed

Keep it in laymans terms PTID, it's not a WCE site mate.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:51 pm

Dragme wrote:
Quote:
THE AGE May 26, 2009

Racist, backward: Sol's parting shot

Controversial former Telstra chief Sol Trujillo has taken a swipe at Australia, describing the nation he called home for four years as racist, backward and like "stepping back in time".

Asked in a BBC interview whether there was racism in Australia, Mr Trujillo said: "I think it was evident in a lot of ways with me personally but more importantly with others."

Sol did warn the world about us when he took his Telstra pay-packet and went home. Whether he was right or wrong, like it or not the evidence is stacking up to support these statements.

As pietillidie posted earlier "we just look like primitive isolated twats trying to defend the indefensible, further fueling the ignorant bogan discourse."

Embarassed

Why do people seem obsessed with believing someone from another country simply because they believe Australia is full of racists.
Well I've got news for Mr. Trujillo his country is as racist as every other country in the world. People walking around calling each other "[snip]" and the tension between the various cultures is palpable.
The fact of the matter is that there's not one single country that isn't affected by racism at some level, so when people bleat about Australian's "fueling the ignorant bogan discourse" simply because they choose to defend themselves and their country against this vile label I see that comment as being one of ignorance.
Why is it so wrong to defend yourself and your country against vicious and ignorant statements usually made by persons who have had minimal exposure to Australia and it's multicultural society yet feel they are qualified and justified to label our great country racist.
If the justification for labeling an entire country racist is hearing the occasional comment or the actions of a finite number of people then, as I mentioned before, every country is racist and full of ignorant bogans.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:34 am

This will be long and meandering. Sorry Smile The intention is not to be long-winded, but to explore ideas.

As I said in a post above, I actually don't think Australia is more racist than most countries. But of course more is expected of highly-developed countries, so I'm not about to compare Australia with a developing country from an historically war-torn region (clearly wealth and stability beget legal and institutional development and vice-versa, so we need to assess with a significant degree of cultural relativity). More homogeneous countries such as Japan have barely started dealing with such issues, while it's a great sign that here in South Korea issues of race have started making the front pages with regularity. Across the world there are racial clashes obviously far more startling than what we see in Australia. So let me clarify that from what I can tell Australia is doing well but inconsistently so; blacks and Muslims certainly seem to do it a lot tougher in Australia than other groups, acceptance still takes a lot longer than it could, and many people I've spoken to face systemic racism say in the workplace (e.g., Asians are accepted as tech geeks or bean counters but not as managers). Attitudes towards Aborigines of course continue to be disgraceful. Outside of that I would say the strong individualism of Australia means tolerance of diversity would be much higher than in most countries. The legal protection of minorities in Australian law also seems strong, creating a considerable safety net for those times that relationships fail.

But let's look a problem in the eye when we've got one; we are light years off having a black prime minister, an Indian minister of defence, or a Muslim CEO of BHP. Certain parts of the US no doubt lead the way in this regard, and surely we should be aiming as high as we can.

An interesting way to look at our own racism is to look at discourses about other races encoded in our language. Similar ideas to this can be found in sociology:

White Racist Discourse

Whites:
[+] rational; enlightened; stable; moral
[--] dancing?; basketball?

Blacks:
[+] good at sport and music; have physical prowess
[--] irrational; unpredictable; unintelligent; lazy; oversexed

Hispanics:
[+] friendly; passionate; creative
[--] emotional; lazy; dirty; sleazy

Asians:
[+] intelligent; organized; hard working; systematic; wise
[--] unassertive; dirty; lack physical prowess; unexpressive; cruel

Muslims/Arabs (these two groups get conflated with each other)
[+] ?
[--] unpredictable; fanatical; barbaric

Communication is clearly not simply about words which have dictionary meanings; it's about complex systems of symbols. In communications, it is assumed every word, action or symbol triggers a concept and a group of related concepts; this is why the Coca Cola and McDonald's brands are worth billions of dollars. I read one classic advertising study once which showed that people enjoyed Coke some enormous amount more when they saw the Coke logo before drinking it. This is how the brain works. Expensive wine physically tastes better; products endorsed by Tiger Woods used to seem better Smile Corporations spend billions of dollars on triggering cognitive associations because it works and an increasing number of scientific findings are demonstrating why (see cognitive biology, linguistics and communications).

Okay, so when we put a white bloke amongst a group of black people we are immediately triggering a whole range of ideas tucked away in our minds. The vast majority of them, unfortunately, are negative and false. Then you add cricket (triggering memories of recent racial issues and past British colonisation), a white bloke with a smug look on his face (the superior white rationality discourse), blacks dancing and singing (the black music and passion discourse), the white bloke feeling threatened by the mob (the unpredictable black discourse), the bright idea (the superior white rationality discourse), the junk food (the lazy immoral black discourse; the US fried chicken discourse); and the white man prevailing (the quick-witted colonial Englishman outwits blacks discourse), you have stirred up more than enough ideas that can go wrong.

People who have good communication skills are always careful not to do this; racists or insensitive buffoons blunder through and commit faux pas and don't get get the deal signed or invited back to the party. Communications professionals are usually paid to avoid such blunders.

I guess I haven't followed this theory myself because I've purposely been provocative and no doubt at times sound as self-righteous as Tim Lane Smile However, while I'm critiquing Australia in this instance, I find myself defending the country (and the record of white man generally, no less) on several occasions a week. I also feel the brunt of being a minority in Asia at times, too. In my work, it is my responsibility to take my clients' side and they are not white, though they have to deal with white companies and countries. This means I have to put myself in their shoes and I can tell you it's not always a pretty sight looking back at who we are. Some of the communications I analyse from white people are quite disgraceful. One can learn a lot from doing this.

So this is not "pretentious" academic theory; it's reality on the ground and the reason why many deals don't get done. Have you ever wondered why Asian countries do so well in parts of Africa and the Middle East and have started winning so many big contracts in these places? It's because they don't have the same cultural discourses distorting their communication with Arabs and Muslims. This has huge implications because if the next wave of development is Asian and Arabic, Western countries are going to struggle to compete to be part of it not simply because our wages are higher. Anglo-America had to invade the Middle East to get contracts; Asian countries simply put assumptions aside and negotiate them.

Australia has a huge geographic advantage in relations with Asia, but we still have to make sure we get both our understanding of culture and our PR right. Even if the "racist redneck convict" discourse is false or greatly exaggerated, it can still damage us, as can the vocal and aggressive racist minority. Also, discussions with people from diverse cultures have made it clear to me that more is expected of us because we're so obviously blessed with space and resources and an uncomplicated history and uncomplicated borders; the spotlight is on us whether we like it or not. Keating did the right thing to position us in Asia, and despite the Howard years we still should be an exemplar of how international relations, tolerance and open mindedness is done. The first step IMO is to stop defending rednecks and faux pas and ignorance and mistakes in relations with Aborigines, the peoples of the Pacific, and minorities. In fact, the middle class has to start standing up vocally against racism instead of sitting idly by and giving the impression silence is consent. Who stood up and loudly and clearly defended Indian students, a group which represents the second-fastest growing economy in our region whose parents in many cases mortgaged their lives to give their children the chance to contribute to our economy? Our reaction was just not good enough. We should've been beating down the doors of offices of power demanding a vigorous public response which gave Indian students security and which considered the cultural interpretations placed on the incidents by Indians back in India. Enlightened self interest should drive us if nothing else.

I realize on this issue I've put forward a mix of arguments that are not yet coherent and are no doubt contradictory in places and across posts. Nonetheless, when you stand outside your own culture many of these these various elements are starkly visible. Hopefully a more coherent theory follows Wink

Edits: sorry, bad habit of editing after rather than before posting Smile

Last edited by pietillidie on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:29 am; edited 7 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:40 am

What does "this" refer to? There is no need to apologize. Describe your surroundings. You want more? What is that? I'm listening. Compare that to inside that he or she would say the strong individualism of Australia means tolerance of diversity would be much higher than in most countries. Yes, it is interesting. That is a generalization. I don't think I've read that. Can you give me a reference? You don't say. Yeah okay, I am not sure I agree with your assumptions, pietillidie. Oh those people. Smile That's good information. That is a very original thought. Thanks for telling me your opinion. What is that feeling like? Who made you the brunt of being a minority in Asia on occasions ? his or her charge he or she take his or her clients' side and they not white they have to deal with white companies and countries are not white is ? Should it be pretentious academic theory; it's reality on the ground and the reason why many deals don't get done? I don't think I ever have wondered why Asian countries do so well in parts of Africa and the Middle East and started winning big contracts in these places. What's wondered why Asian countries do so well in parts of Africa and the Middle East and started winning big contracts in these places like? What happened to it? Australia is my home. Yes, even that. Your discussions with people from other cultures the world made it clear to him or her that more is expected of us because we're so blessed with space and resources and an uncomplicated history and uncomplicated borders; the spotlight is on us whether we like it? What was the second? What specifically brings consent to mind? Marilyn Monroe. :-)It would be nice if our reaction was not good enough. By "we" do you mean you and me? I did not know that.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:46 am

Geez, they should have just used the Collingwood vs Adelaide final and picked a poor lonely Collingwood Supporter sitting in the midst of feral Adelaide supporters when Jack kicked the winning goal......can't you just see him passing round the KFC to passify the crowd.

That was my take on the ad. I didn't see it as racist at all, just a bloke in a tough situation with opposition team supporters.

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:21 am

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad politically correct world.

I don't like it one bit! "Propaganda Nazis" second guessing your every thought.

Such overuse of the the term "racism" does two things:

1. It means that real racism (the Holocaust, apartheid) is devalued.

2. It means that white people get fed up with being called racists and say stuff 'em. I'll think and say what I like!

I always remember being told in America that racism was always whites taking shots at blacks. Black people can't be racists they said (it's a power thing). Twaddle I said. I'll always judge people on what they do, not the colour of their skin or culture. Idi Amin was a racist! Robert Mugabe still is! Twisted Evil
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:46 am

Wokko wrote:
Sorry no. We do not have to pander to American racial sensitivities in Australia. There is nothing either intrinsically or even subjectively racist in this commercial when viewed from an Australian or Caribbean point of view. You can't expect everybody, everywhere in the world to be aware of every racial stereotype. What's even more ridiculous is the stereotype is that Black Americans eat alot of fried chicken. People in this commercial are Caribbean islanders among whom no such stereotype exists. Politically correct nonsense and racial guilt at it's finest.

I wanted to quote this whole post. You've hit the nail on the head.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:48 am

What do we do instead? Surely something either intrinsically or subjectively racist in this commercial when viewed from an Australian or Caribbean point of view. Tell me more about ridiculous is the stereotype is that Black Americans eat alot of fried chicken more ridiculous.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:50 am

pietillidie wrote:
Have you ever talked to Africans to check if they have a sense of international kinship?

Have you ever talked to West Indians to see if they were offended by the tv ad?

Stop being offended for others, they can speak for themselves. The West Indians they interviewed on the news last night were NOT offended, and could see the light hearted nature of the ad, and understand the context of the ad.

One of my biggest hates is people getting offended for others, when the people supposedly offended are not actually offended.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:55 am

jack_spain wrote:
2. It means that white people get fed up with being called racists and say stuff 'em. I'll think and say what I like!

This can develop into the very real problem. Over sensitive, politically correct nonsense will probably result in people doing exactly what you posted.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:41 am

Sorry, but I'm currently in southern USA at a political science conference that includes a lot of people working in the area of race and racism, and not one of them has mentioned the ad or anything to do with it. Simple fact is that it has not rated a mention over here. Even the story in the New York Daily News was minor, and in the poll, 66% think it was harmless fun. The 'uproar' in the Baltimore Sun is even more laughable. Have a look through the comments section - there is not one American complaining about the ad. The only 'uproar' is from Australians pointing out the sheer stupidity of the original story. There has been no uproar here and those of us that genuinely give a shit about racism could do without the bullshit that flows from faux outrage over ridiculous beat ups like this. Next. Rolling Eyes
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:22 am

pietillidie wrote:

But let's look a problem in the eye when we've got one; we are light years off having a black prime minister, an Indian minister of defence, or a Muslim CEO of BHP. Certain parts of the US no doubt lead the way in this regard, and surely we should be aiming as high as we can.

Leaving aside the bulk of your post and the fact that you don't actually reside in Australia ATM as I understand it, lets look at this quoted part.

A Black PM? Depending what you call "black", if you combined Aboriginals, Indians, Africans and SriLankans etc you'd still struggle to get more than 5-6% of total population. So why would it be so surprising that we don't have a black PM or an Indian minister of defence? The argument is flawed and silly.

Having said that, allowing for how our system works there is no reason why we couldn't have one, if they had the right qualities. Their race would be irrelevant.

Penny Wong is of Asian decent, female and openly gay, yet she was elected to the senate and is now a federal minister.

What chance would she or someone like her have of being elected president of the USA?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:39 am

stui magpie wrote:
Penny Wong is of Asian decent, female and openly gay, yet she was elected to the senate and is now a federal minister.

Yeah, but Australians are racist, misogynist homophobes, didn't you get the memo? Rolling Eyes

We also voted in two short white bespectacled nerds. The land of equal opportunity Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9   

Jump to: