Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coronavirus 4 - Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

roar wrote:
On the bright side, the protestors that caught the virus are probably not vaccinated so we may not have to worry about at least a few of them, anymore.

Don’t think any of them looked like elderly people with major health issues so they’ll be fine
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:56 am

So the fault wasn’t the protests but the stupid public holiday we had last week…
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:59 am

No - the mistake was allowing the Grand Final to proceed. It should have been cancelled. Apart from the positive impact it would have had on case numbers, it would have been funny to watch the reactions of the Melbourne and Footscray supporters. They could also retrospectively abandon the 2020 GF, too, by the way.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:01 pm

General life should be cancelled, and we can just under hide under our doonas indefinitely.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:03 pm

From the ABC blog:

Quote:
Jeroen Weimar is up now — and he's said pretty clearly that social gatherings on AFL grand final weekend are part of why Victoria's cases spiked so high today.

"The contact tracers tell us that there have been significant numbers of social gatherings on Friday and Saturday, over a long weekend. Grand final parties. Other social gatherings, barbecues, backyard visits. This has generated a significant case load," he says.

"A third of our cases are due directly to those different types of social gatherings, as people have dropped their guard, and decided now it's the grand final weekend, it's the long weekend, we deserve a bit of a payback, we deserve a nicer time. And that has now translated into additional 500 cases from when we expected to see today."

Meanwhile, the NSW case breakdown looks like this:

Quote:
Of the 941 locally acquired cases:

231 are from South Western Sydney Local Health District (LHD)

177 are from Western Sydney LHD

93 are from South East Sydney LHD

82 are from Hunter New England LHD

82 are from Illawarra Shoalhaven LHD

63 are from Sydney LHD

45 are from Nepean Blue Mountains LHD

43 are from Western NSW LHD

42 are from Northern Sydney LHD

36 are from Central Coast LHD

26 are from Southern NSW LHD

three are from Far West LHD

three are from Northern NSW LHD

two are from Mid North Coast LHD

one is from Murrumbidgee LHD

and 12 are yet to be assigned to an LHD
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:08 pm

Jezza wrote:
General life should be cancelled, and we can just under hide under our doonas indefinitely.

Have you just given up? What's the alternative, pending achieving some acceptable levels of vaccination?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:13 pm

329 cases in Melbourne's East and South-East today.

46 regional cases today. 2 in La Trobe, 4 in Warrnambool, 5 in Shepparton, 6 in Moorabool, 12 cases in Mitchell Shire and a "scattering of other cases".
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:06 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Have you just given up? What's the alternative, pending achieving some acceptable levels of vaccination?

I've accepted the harsh reality that we have to live with this virus. Vaccination is obviously the biggest tool we have against the virus at this stage, so by all means keep ramping it up and encouraging it as widely as possible.

On the restrictions, some of them have to be removed now:

[*] The curfew needs to go. No scientific basis for it.
[*] Travel radius isn't beneficial, especially when the virus is everywhere now.
[*] Fully vaccinated people should be largely exempt from most restrictions.

The two most effective measures are social distancing, and mask wearing in indoor settings.

I'm against vaccine passports, and worry about the risk of creating a two-tier society. Everyone should be allowed to participate in wider society whether they're vaccinated or not. Many European countries are abandoning vaccine passports, but for some reason Australia thinks they're the gateway to freedom.

The right to protest shouldn't be abrogated because of a pandemic. If one wants to voice dissatisfaction over government policy or any issue that they're passionate about, then it's their right to do so. Police should only be involved if peaceful assembly escalates into violence.

In a perfect world, I'd rather let individuals make their own choices and judge the risk for themselves, rather than having the government impede us constantly to "keep us safe". However, I know that won't happen in reality.

More should have been done to prepare the hospital system for the last 18 months. The fact that it's close to being "overwhelmed" is an indictment on the incompetence of this state. Where are the 4,000 ICU beds that were promised on April 1 last year?

Overall, I'm just very frustrated mate. Nick's is one of the few places I can vent openly about this.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:32 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
David wrote:
Am I the only one wondering how we can possibly be considering opening up in these circumstances? These numbers are twice as bad as the very worst we saw in Lockdown 2.0, and that one took four months to deal with. Something's gone badly wrong this time around, and I'm really not sure vaccination alone is going to be enough to get us out of this situation.

the world has opened up everywhere else.

And almost 3 million people – including 350,000 in the US and 60,000 in the UK – have died around the world in 2021 from COVID-19 as most countries began to turn to that strategy. Over the same time period, due at least in part to our aggressive lockdown strategy, we have had just 370 deaths, almost all of them in the last two months.

I understand that some people see multiplying that figure by ten or more as a reasonable price to pay for the rest of us being able to return to some form of normal life, but I think I need to hear a better argument for pulling that particular trolley lever than "well, everyone else is doing it".

Jezza wrote:
[*] Fully vaccinated people should be largely exempt from most restrictions.

[...]

I'm against vaccine passports, and worry about the risk of creating a two-tier society. Everyone should be allowed to participate in wider society whether they're vaccinated or not. Many European countries are abandoning vaccine passports, but for some reason Australia thinks they're the gateway to freedom.

These two positions are basically incompatible, right?

While I'm not precisely sure where I stand on the topic, I think any post-lockdown strategy probably does have to take vaccination status into account – which will, unavoidably, create a two-tier society for the vaccinated and unvaccinated. The two caveats for me would be: 1) privileges for the vaccinated shouldn't extend to coercion and punishment of the unvaccinated, and where that line is drawn is a tricky one that needs to be watched closely; and 2) I think we need to be wary of complacency when it comes to extending those privileges, as vaccinated people can still become vectors for (and victims of) the virus.

Otherwise, I agree that the right to protest should be more robustly protected at this point in time, and I wonder whether the draconian government and police response to anti-lockdown protests (as well as related enforcement) is partially responsible for the backlash we saw in recent weeks. There's no way to keep everyone happy at a time like this and unpleasant restrictions obviously needed to be enacted, but I do think that at least some degree of conflict could have been avoided through a less authoritarian approach.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:51 pm

That weekend gatherings were the cause of the spike in case numbers is both unsurprising and problematic.

Unsurprising because compliance with the restrictions are at their lowest point at the same time as the case numbers reach their highest. People are over it. Melbournians have spent over 240 days in lockdown. That's 8 months out of the past 18. You see the apathy in the supermarkets, in people standing around outside coffee shops. They're just going through the motions.

Also unsurprising because you need to consider the demographics of the protesters. The first couple of days was a hard core of legitimate construction workers, firstly from Union sites who were pissed off with the CFMEU and then swelled by all the suburban construction workers who weren't union but suddenly were shut down. The construction workers will hold views across the spectrum, from being vaccine believers to mad anti vaxxers, conspiracy theorists, right wing nuts, etc. Then their numbers were swelled by the non-construction workers who were just mad anti vaxxers, conspiracy theorists, right wing nuts, etc. As the real construction worker numbers dropped off, this is the chort that clung on. This is the cohort which won't get tested. They don't believe in it, the virus is fake, we won't know about them unless they end up in hospital
We know there was Covid in the protests. 1 bloke in hospital, 1 tested and the President of the CFMEU positive and their office shut down as a Tier 1 exposure site.

That's what leads to the problematic part. You potentially have a core of Covid infecting people who won't get tested but instead who will infect family and friends and the first we'll know is when the numbers really explode to 2-3,000 daily cases.

I wouldn't be the slightest surprised if there is an element of that in these cases, people going to gatherings and being infected by someone who was infected by someone who went to the protest.

My personal view of where to from here is that the horse has bolted to a degree, they way out is vaccination so focus on that, but in the mean time throw people some hope and get rid of stupid, petty restrictions that people aren't following anyway. Just stick with the actual important ones that we need people to follow and dump the rest.

Having to wear a mask outdoors when you're no where near other people is stupid and unscientific
Ditto curfew.
They open golf courses the other day, but ban people using the toilets there. That kind of thing shows total lack of common sense and only serves to piss people off more.
I saw Swanny tweeted yesterday that he'd got in his car and drove 14.8km away, then turned around and came home.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:51 pm

David wrote:
While I'm not precisely sure where I stand on the topic, I think any post-lockdown strategy probably does have to take vaccination status into account – which will, unavoidably, create a two-tier society for the vaccinated and unvaccinated. The two caveats for me would be: 1) privileges for the vaccinated shouldn't extend to coercion and punishment of the unvaccinated, and where that line is drawn is a tricky one that needs to be watched closely; and 2) I think we need to be wary of complacency when it comes to extending those privileges, as vaccinated people can still become vectors for (and victims of) the virus.

Otherwise, I agree that the right to protest should be more robustly protected at this point in time, and I wonder whether the draconian government and police response to anti-lockdown protests (as well as related enforcement) is partially responsible for the backlash we saw in recent weeks. There's no way to keep everyone happy at a time like this and unpleasant restrictions obviously needed to be enacted, but I do think that at least some degree of conflict could have been avoided through a less authoritarian approach.

My mistake, I should have been clearer.

Once we start to open up and reach 80% fully vaccinated based on the Doherty plan, I don't think vaccination status should matter. By then, everyone will have had ample time to decide whether to be vaccinated or not. We know both groups of people can transmit and acquire the virus.

I just think once people were fully vaccinated, they should have been allowed to get on with their lives immediately and not be subject to harsh restrictions, otherwise where's the incentive to be vaccinated quickly?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:00 pm

Andrews reminds me of a football coach who's "lost the players".

Most people have given up. Just look at the road traffic in the last few weeks.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:16 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Everything in Victoria is also Gladys' fault.

truth, those $£$%^%%$ movers!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:17 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
Meanwhile in Queensland:

NRL grand final crowd cut after Covid outbreak forces new restrictions

"Over 10,000 ticketholders will be blocked from attending Sunday’s NRL grand final after the Queensland government confirmed new Covid-19 restrictions on Thursday.

Six new cases were recorded in the state on Thursday, including one in Townsville.

The decider between the Panthers and Rabbitohs is scheduled to take place at Suncorp Stadium, with the event already sold out after 52,000 tickets were purchased.

However, new restrictions mean 13,000 people will now be barred from attending and have their tickets refunded."

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-grand-final-2021-tickets-covid-outbreak-suncorp-stadium-refund-penrith-panthers-vs-south-sydney-rabbitohs-update/news-story/3fb6edadf3bd89bf4ae05637944c1db6

pass the popcorn!!

that stinks, how peed off would you be!

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:28 pm

And they got it not from NSW, but from a fully vaccinated local worker…

But I’m sure someone will try to blame NSW if they haven’t already
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Page 87 of 199   

Jump to: