Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Magpies v. Power - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
SEN radio this morning were alluding to a toe with respect to Langdon.

Yeah, I posted Stevo's tweet from yesterday previously: https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/1029290792551034880

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Culprit wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
^^^
Watts is already in the team. Against the eagles he got a bit of it but no scoreboard impact.
They were rattling off Dixon’s statistical impact in the forward line and he really is their barometer inside their forward 50.
They will now be unpredictable but they certainly won’t be any better.
That's why he will come in, he never played. I didn't even notice him Laughing Laughing Doh!!

I was one who thought Watts could be a handy pick up. After watching Port's last 2 games all I'll say is, thank **** I don't look after list management.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:20 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
SEN radio this morning were alluding to a toe with respect to Langdon.

Yeah, I posted Stevo's tweet from yesterday previously: https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/1029290792551034880

If it's just a toe then surely a jab will be all that's needed?!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:48 pm

The more I think about it, the more I'd be inclined to replace Oxley with Murphy. I know it was his first game back after 2 yrs, but I don't think Oxley took a single mark, which is his main strength, and he is not overly quick. Murphy is just as good in the air but is faster and tougher.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:39 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I'd be inclined to replace Oxley with Murphy. I know it was his first game back after 2 yrs, but I don't think Oxley took a single mark, which is his main strength, and he is not overly quick. Murphy is just as good in the air but is faster and tougher.

I think you can make allowances for a player two years out of the game coming back to his first game against a difficult opponent in Brisbane with a tall forward line. I would expect him to improve against Port if he gets a game. It's interesting that it was mentioned that Marty Hore would have got a game against Brisbane had Marty been on our list. Nevertheless Oxley performed as expected and Buckley was happy with the performance of our backline. Murphy would be a risk playing against Port Adelaide who see the game as a final to them. Particularly challenging would be if Langdon can't play. That would be devastating for us if it happened.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:44 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

3 marks, 1 of them contested
11 posessions, 4 of them contested, @ 82% efficiency
3 tackles.

By way of comparison, Langdon who it seems is universally acknowledged as playing a good game had

6 marks, 1 of them contested
15 disposals, 7 of them contested, @ 80% efficiency
2 tackles

Crisp almost got their stats combined.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:59 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

I think you can make allowances for a player two years out of the game coming back to his first game against a difficult opponent in Brisbane with a tall forward line. I would expect him to improve against Port if he gets a game. It's interesting that it was mentioned that Marty Hore would have got a game against Brisbane had Marty been on our list. Nevertheless Oxley performed as expected and Buckley was happy with the performance of our backline. Murphy would be a risk playing against Port Adelaide who see the game as a final to them. Particularly challenging would be if Langdon can't play. That would be devastating for us if it happened.

In defence of Oxleys job security, the question I would ask is, did Oxley play his role in the back six when we gave up only 11 scoring shots after quarter time. ( I’m excluding the first quarter because our lack of pressure and inabilty to find the ball, put all our defenders under excessive pressure early in the game )
Not every defender needs to get a lot of the ball in order to fulfil their role.
I consider the Lions a pretty solid win, given the talent missing and I just don’t see why Oxley needs to lose his spot on the back of that team effort.
Also remember, that Murphy was the second youngest player picked in that draft. He is virtually a year younger than Stephenson.
Although I would have less issue with McLarty being picked than Murphy because that selection would suggest the brains trust felt they needed more height to unbalance Port.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:14 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

In defence of Oxleys job security, the question I would ask is, did Oxley play his role in the back six when we gave up only 11 scoring shots after quarter time. ( I’m excluding the first quarter because our lack of pressure and inabilty to find the ball, put all our defenders under excessive pressure early in the game )
Not every defender needs to get a lot of the ball in order to fulfil their role.
I consider the Lions a pretty solid win, given the talent missing and I just don’t see why Oxley needs to lose his spot on the back of that team effort.
Also remember, that Murphy was the second youngest player picked in that draft. He is virtually a year younger than Stephenson.
Although I would have less issue with McLarty being picked than Murphy because that selection would suggest the brains trust felt they needed more height to unbalance Port.

Can't argue with any of that, and I expect Bucks will see it the same as you. Nothing against Oxley, but I think Murphy is possibly a better option.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:40 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

I only saw him touch the ball a few times, but he made some bad decisions that directly resulted in goals. I didnt see him inluence too many contests in a positive way. Both he a Madgen are not really up to it. Madgen has the defense of youth and ineperience,,,,,,

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:20 pm

In Oxley’s defence, the ball only ventured inside D50 20 times over the final three quarters. So he had less than 20 opportunities to take an intercept mark inside D50. I’m simply playing Devil’s advocate.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:57 pm

Given that Howe will miss again, can see us going in with an unchanged side.

Bucks has tended not to drop players after only 1 game back, so expect Oxley to stay.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:29 pm

E wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

I only saw him touch the ball a few times, but he made some bad decisions that directly resulted in goals. I didnt see him inluence too many contests in a positive way. Both he a Madgen are not really up to it. Madgen has the defense of youth and ineperience,,,,,,

Obviously nobody is calling these guys world beaters. They are getting a game because we have been decimated in the back half.
Everybody remembers the obvious errors where players are beaten in contests but I can guarantee most people don’t see ( or choose not to remember ) defenders blocking for team mates, the hand overs from players up the ground, the filling of space, the unrewarded running when we have the ball or the unfashionable paddle or spoil to the boundary line that allows us to reset.
Every defender in the AFL makes at least one blue during a game. The best defenders just make less than the Oxleys and Magdens of this world.
It’s a tough gig back there.
duggieboy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Here's a horrid stat.

We've beaten Port once in the last seven attempts and that was by a goal at the G a few years ago.

Not very encouraging but I'm thinking we'll get over them this time around.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:00 pm

If Langdon in any way is dubious, now is the time to rest him. We play Murphy for Langdon, and pray to God (who does not exist) that our mids get on top. We probably will lose, because our defence is so decimated. However, our team defence has been fantastic this year, and if PA's worst injury concerns come to fruition, then maybe we are still in it. Then we get Langdon back (and Howe, hopefully) for the game against Fremantle, which we need to win, but which becomes very winnable with Langdon and Howe both back. Then we preserve Langdon's physical integrity, which we desperately need for any further progress.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:25 pm

^

Id rather go full tilt at winning this week against port in Melbourne and give Langdon and anyone else really sore 2 weeks off with the freo game and bye week before finals

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14   

Jump to: