Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Demetriou's vision for a 20 team AFL competition

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

sq3 wrote:
I think Vlad is being ruled by the US models way too much where they need divisions as they have just a few more people - about 250 million and if you add in the illegals - 260+ Million.

Just a small little detail, but the United States population is estimated to be about 307 Million people, which actually reinforces your point even more.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:47 pm

At Least he said the Next Side is in Tassie
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:07 pm

I am really failing to see why people want any new teams at all.

The debate shouldn't be about where a new team should be located, but rather, do we need any new teams at all considering we just got over one of the most compromised periods in the AFL.

Who gives a F#$k about the better of the game? Who gives a F#$k about more TV rights money etc etc etc. The only thing supporters should give a stuff about is their teams ability to win another flag in their lifetimes. We have waited 19 years FFS, how much longer do you want to wait? Even 1990 is starting to become a bit of a distant memory for me.

Do some people not comprehend the concessions given to these two new teams? Do some of you not realise that any new teams after that will more than likely get the same generous concessions? Do some of you not realise that the AFL has to gift wrap success for these new clubs at all costs?

I seriously hope the same people that are happy about these two new teams or any new teams for that matter, aren't the same ones yelling:
"We waz robbed"
"F#$kin AFL Cheats"
In about 5-6 years time!

And remember, a lot of you may be very comfortable with our list at the moment, and you want to know what, on the face of it, it really looks good to me also. But remember, history shows that a fair few of those players may not work out. Our success over the next 5-6 years will very well depend on four key players working out for us...Cloke, Dawes, Reid and Brown. Why, because they are key position players that must form our spine.
molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:15 pm

wouldn;t mind a team in tassie Very Happy share it around
*'94-03:10 Gr8 yrs*
*169 Games* *'02 V.C*
*2nd in '01 copeland
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:22 pm

Quote:
I am really failing to see why people want any new teams at all.

would ppl power in this instance have any effect on the commission's decision? whether we want them or not they will be here very shortly. it matters not one iota what the supporters want right now. the question that needs to be answered is:

why have the clubs so meekly bent over and taken one? there appears to be little to no dissent [publicly anyway] so why the compliance and acquiesence to the expansion?

Quote:
Who gives a F#$k about the better of the game? Who gives a F#$k about more TV rights money etc etc etc. The only thing supporters should give a stuff about is their teams ability to win another flag in their lifetimes. We have waited 19 years FFS, how much longer do you want to wait? Even 1990 is starting to become a bit of a distant memory for me.

that is myopic thinking. if we don't grow the game is it really sustainable in its current format? the league has to keep evolving; you can't win a flag if there is no competition or your team is not in it. sure collingwood and the afl might be going quite strongly now but no one can predict what's around the corner.

spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:34 pm

jmcp wrote:
why have the clubs so meekly bent over and taken one? there appears to be little to no dissent [publicly anyway] so why the compliance and acquiesence to the expansion?

The clubs my friend are just puppets of the AFL. The reality is that the clubs can pick little fights with the AFL here and there, but when the really big issues arise, they have very little real power. Remember, they gave the rights to club colours, brand, logo's etc etc to the AFL years ago, and unfortunately have very little power left!

jmcp wrote:
that is myopic thinking. if we don't grow the game is it really sustainable in its current format? the league has to keep evolving; you can't win a flag if there is no competition or your team is not in it. sure collingwood and the afl might be going quite strongly now but no one can predict what's around the corner.

I actually believe that there are far too many knee jerk reactions regarding the growing of the game. I am actually both a strong and paid up AFL and Soccer fan and I can tell you, this apparent threat from soccer is actually very overrated.

We are tending to forget that Australia's population is only 22 million and yet all codes are actually trying to form new teams in every corner, while many clubs are either broke, or surviving on a drip with only a handful that are financially secure!

Perhaps all codes need to realise what their limit really is. Basketball years ago tried to be bigger than what they were and look at the state of their league now. Soccer already has a club being taken over by the FFA and falling attendances.

That is my first thought. My second thought is looking forward (so to speak) at all the "Everyone is Anti Pie" Topics in the future.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:46 pm

spoljar wrote:
jmcp wrote:

The clubs my friend are just puppets of the AFL. The reality is that the clubs can pick little fights with the AFL here and there, but when the really big issues arise, they have very little real power. Remember, they gave the rights to club colours, brand, logo's etc etc to the AFL years ago, and unfortunately have very little power left!

jmcp wrote:

I actually believe that there are far too many knee jerk reactions regarding the growing of the game. I am actually both a strong and paid up AFL and Soccer fan and I can tell you, this apparent threat from soccer is actually very overrated.

We are tending to forget that Australia's population is only 22 million and yet all codes are actually trying to form new teams in every corner, while many clubs are either broke, or surviving on a drip with only a handful that are financially secure!

Perhaps all codes need to realise what their limit really is. Basketball years ago tried to be bigger than what they were and look at the state of their league now. Soccer already has a club being taken over by the FFA and falling attendances.

That is my first thought. My second thought is looking forward (so to speak) at all the "Everyone is Anti Pie" Topics in the future.

it would be so much easier to have this discussion in person and one day that may eventuate. my reply does not do any justice to the level of response that should be afforded your points but like you i don't believe soccer is the threat. i think the biggest threat to the great game of aussie rules is the afl itself. league is a joke and gets excited when more than 20K turn up for a game. rugby is drivng itself into irrelevance even in spite of its world cups.

the one thing that really strikes me about the 17th and 18th clubs is that it will be vlad's legacy. every senior manager wants to leave having done one 'big thing' and clearly this is vlad's. just imagine that on your resume - overseeing the expansion of australia's great game.

slightly off topic but i actually like vlad; it's his subordinate muppets i can't stomach.

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Soccer has the changing demographics and ethnicity of Australia on its side. By 2030 it will be the biggest code of football in the country - maybe sooner.
choppa 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:14 pm

seems like each year he is saying we should have more teams
i say give it a rest
16 was perfect

now it will be 18...leave it at that!
Please
didaksrightfoot 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:30 am

spoljar wrote:

Who gives a F#$k about the better of the game? Who gives a F#$k about more TV rights money etc etc etc. The only thing supporters should give a stuff about is their teams ability to win another flag in their lifetimes. We have waited 19 years FFS, how much longer do you want to wait?

talk about one-eyed... if Collingwood arent good enough to win a Flag then lets not start looking for excuses.
---

As for all this talk of expansion... Im not aware of Demetriou setting a date on the 19th and 20th teams.

I would like to see how the next 2 go before making a commitment to more teams... but I wouldnt rule it out.

However - I think everything comes down to what makes sense from a business point of view and each decision has to be made on a case-by-case basis.

As a West Australian, I think theres a pink elephant in the room that no-one seems to be talking about.
When you talk about adding new clubs, its important to have a look at the current clubs and see what their futures hold, and whether considering a move/merger makes more sense than just adding an extra team.

No decision should be made in haste, and you have to look at long-term data rather than just 1-2 years, but I dont think the AFL should rule out getting rid of 1 or 2 victorian teams. (I think the Fitzroy merger has proved to be the right decision... but Im not old enough to remember what South Melbourne were like before their move).
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:40 am

The fat little greek has lost his marbles.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:44 am

What are your goals in life?
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:48 am

^ To barrack for an AFL team of Robots. You can be captain Hal.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:52 am

What do you like about those robots?
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:54 am

^ They are better kicks for goal than Cloke.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: