Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#19 Cameron Wood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

Wood feared Beau McDonald would reduce opportunities
Article from: The Sunday Mail (Qld)

* Font size: Decrease Increase
    * Email article: Email
    * Print article: Print
    * Submit comment: Submit comment

By Damien Stannard

March 02, 2008 12:00am

"IF Beau retired last year, it would have changed things." That's the blunt assessment of Collingwood ruckman Cameron Wood, who with the benefit of hindsight, may have never left the Brisbane Lions.

However as it turned out, Beau McDonald – one of Wood's main rivals for the Lions' No. 2 ruck spot – broke down and retired before a ball had been kicked in 2008.

Wood, 21 on Tuesday, has revealed how tough it was to defect after three years with the Lions.

He loves Brisbane, a city which had become home to the West Adelaide product and his mother Sue. Some of his best mates, like Jed Adcock, Scott Harding and Justin Sherman, are Lions and he agonised over leaving them behind.

But after being trapped behind McDonald, Clark Keating, Jamie Charman and later Matthew Leuenberger, Wood felt his window of opportunity was closing.

Despite starting last year in the seniors and winning an AFL Rising Star nomination, he spent most of the season playing in the reserves.

With Collingwood circling and one year remaining on his contract, Wood sought and was granted a trade last October.

"Collingwood was interested and I was open to ideas," he said.

"It was a really tough decision (to request a trade). I wasn't unhappy but I wanted more of an opportunity."

Wood's manager brokered the switch and it took a phone call from coach Leigh Matthews to satisfy the young ruckman he was leaving on good terms.

"Leigh called just after the trade was done and said thanks and good luck," Wood said.

"There was no ill feeling."

The 204cm ruckman has added more muscle to his giant frame and and now concentrating on improving his endurance.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23303596-5003410,00.html

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:21 pm
Post subject: #19 Cameron WoodReply with quote

I am Jumping on and Is anyone else going to Join in Question

We Finally have a Good Young Ruckman and Someone to Finally Help Fraser(Sight for Sore Eyes Yesterday)

Has Good Ruck Skills, Good Mark, Good Around the Ground and a Straight Kick for Goal Very Happy

optimax 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:42 pm

im in the big cam has certainly impressed me so far.

i just want to point out in 04 when richards won best first year player (in his third Rolling Eyes ) i was also impressed by him

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:43 pm

Just gotta love having the big Woody!
favourites 2008 

The Machine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:20 pm

14 disposals, 16 hitouts, 2 goals in 66 minutes against the eagles

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:54 pm
Post subject: Cameron Wood - Pre Season BulterReply with quote

Pendles Thought on Wood

Quote:
Cameron Wood
I didn’t know anything about Woody when he first came to the club a couple of weeks before we kicked off our pre-season campaign. He was so nervous walking around the club, and I just went up to him and stood next to him, and realized just how big he is.

I did a bit of work with him that day, and got along with him pretty well pretty quickly. He’s got a great sense of humour and some good stories to tell.

During the early stages of the pre-season he had to get a lot fitter and he knew that, and he worked pretty hard with Bluey (Guy McKenna) on the treadmill every day.

The main thing that stands out with Woody is his skill level for a big bloke. He’s fantastic on the track and rarely misses a target, he’s as good a kick as anyone out there, and he complements that with his ruck work around the ground.

In the practice matches he’s been pretty spot on, and I think that’s what we need with Woody, Josh (Fraser) and Bear (Chris Bryan), is for them to get their hands on it, but because Woody’s so big he can throw his weight around as well.

He gets his hand on it so well and he’s got soft hands, and he gets his hand to it late as well, so as a midfielder that’s terrific.

http://collingwoodfc.com.au/tabid/5586/Default.aspx?newsid=56525

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:06 am

Quote:

Wood flourishes in Magpie climate

Jon Ralph | March 21, 2008 12:00am

* Email article
* Share Add to Digg Add to del.icio.us Post to NewsVine Post to Facebook What are these?
* Printer friendly
* Text size+-

WHEN Cameron Wood's manager mentioned his likely new home late last year, it dawned on the Brisbane Lions ruckman that his football career had changed forever.

There are high-profile destinations and successful football clubs, and then there is Collingwood.

Wood, who had formerly kept a low-profile existence as an emerging Lions ruckman, was about to land at football's epicentre.

"My manager said with about a month left in the season, some clubs were inquiring, and I thought, 'That's interesting, but let's wait until the season finishes'," Wood said this week, before his Collingwood debut tomorrow.

"Then when he first said Collingwood, I was like, 'Phew, they are the biggest football club in Australia'. As soon as I got here with the Lexus Centre and the photos on the walls and premierships, it was pretty exciting. It is a great honour to play for Collingwood. It's like the kid says in the Telstra ad -- "My dad played for Collingwood".

That Wood is at the Lexus Centre at all is a combination of luck and circumstances, with the 204cm beanpole considered a potential star at Brisbane less than 12 months ago.

The former West Adelaide junior and No. 18 draft pick started his third season with the Lions in rich form, playing the entire NAB Cup then earning a Rising Star nod within the first month of the season.

Then came a seven-week stretch in the reserves in which Matthew Leuenberger quickly became the first back-up to Jamie Charman.

With that pair and Beau McDonald ahead of him, Wood's manager sealed a trade for the Pies' pick 14, only for McDonald to retire on the verge of the 2008 season.

"I don't know (if they would have released me)," Wood said.

"Charman and Leuenberger were probably still ahead of me, but I don't think Brisbane would have let me go. I was still under contract.

"For me it was just opportunity. I was happy in Brisbane with the club and my mates living there, and my mum had moved up there. Everything was going really well and then I got moved back to the ressies and I only played four games for the rest of the year."

The five months he has been at Collingwood have been a whirlwind of training and new experiences.

Josh Fraser's poster was up on his Wood's wall as a junior -- now he is training alongside him every day.

But it was an inauspicious start: he failed to finish his first time-trial in black and white after nerves and a case of gastro hit hard.

"He ran the worst he's ever run in his life," commented coach Mick Malthouse at the time.

"I just wanted to run, but it looked a bit silly," Wood said.

But the altitude sessions in South Africa have combined with extra running sessions with assistant Guy McKenna to add critical mobility to his ruck package.

"In Brisbane the emphasis was on putting on weight through the pre-season so this is the first pre-season where I have finally got fit," he said.

Then, finally, came the NAB Cup and practice series.

Wood was rested in the Dubai loss to Adelaide, but since then has very much looked the part.

He has rucked solidly, shown pack-marking ability desperately needed at Collingwood and tellingly pushed forward from the centre square to kick a handful of goals.

Mum Sue, who raised her only child as a single parent, will fly over from Adelaide for tomorrow's game.

If Wood once hoped for a "redraw" after being traded to Brisbane, he's now at a club that draws attention like few others and is feeling very much at home.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23410578-19742,00.html

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:21 am

having watched him at the Shepparton game, I was pretty impressed with him. Hope he lives up to that.
flamebender Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:50 pm
Post subject: Cameron WoodReply with quote

Just what we needed. Great pick up. Very versatile. Definitely a key player for the future.

Take a bow, you did yourself proud.

Get that up you Matthews!!!
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:54 pm

You could hear the sighs of pleasure every time Woody palmed straight down to one of our blokes. His second efforts were terrific too. How he never got a free when he tackled that oversized stick insect in the goal square is beyond me. Pinged. Dropped it cold.
We've picked up a winner in Wood.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:59 pm

Are we still talking about he never got a free when he tackled that oversized stick insect in the goal square is him or her? Can you speak any foreign languages? What do you have that is it?
nomad pie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:15 pm

Wood played a major contributing role in 4 goals and hit a poster himself. A fantastic first time effort.

Well done Woody!!

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:23 pm

Great game by Wood showed some great signs, he was our only ruckman to beat Sandilands at the centre bounce. If Fraser isn't careful he could find himself as a 2nd stringer.
nomad pie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:28 pm

Wood on today's performance was better in the Ruck.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:30 pm

I think we found the ruckman we have asked for since Monkey. Also Sandihands is a dud due to being that tall he should have dominated more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 4 of 19   

Jump to: